Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite seaside town in England.

Comments

• Options
    Southsea is very nice. Lots of little bars and eating places.Nice beach and a lovely pier.
    Only a thirty minute walk along the coastal path to Portsmouth or a five minute bus ride.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

West wittering

Seconded. Best (and only?) sandy beach along that stretch of coast. I’m also in the childhood trips to Broadstairs camp - so exciting when it was suggested in the morning or the night before that we might go there for a day out. One Sunday we even stayed overnight in a hotel and I was allowed to skip school on the Monday! Doesn’t get more exciting than that as a ten year old or whatever I was. Off to Pembrokeshire next week for half term - amazing beaches down there and not too crowded either.

• Options
    Really depends on what I'm in the mood for.

If it's a beach then the good ones are rarely near a town.

Favourite seaside towns:

Bournemouth for a night out and an ok beach or the ferry over to Studland for stunning beaches and a couple of nice restaurants.
    Broadstairs when local for a wander around the town or the local beaches
    Croyde for a surf and a few beers in the party pubs (preferably out of season)
    Aggies for a surf and a quiet chill with great beaches nearby
    St Ives for great beaches and if i'm feeling cultured

if you want best beaches, i could write a guide to the UK's beaches!

• Options
    Nice to see a thread so positive about our coastline.

• Options
    Stig said:

Leuth said:

Southwold.

I reeeeeally want to go there. Tim Hunkin's Novelty Automation project (which everyone should visit - it's in Holborn) has its own pier there, and there are so many wildlife reserves nearby
    Tim Hunkin is an absolute genius. Some of the games on that pier are pierless. The Fly where you have to land on as much food as possible without being swatted. Crossing the a motorway with a Zimmer frame. Crankenstein, walking the dog and bathyscope. If anyone deserves a knighthood, he does.
    The Zimmer frame training game is quality! I loved the little bit of animation that got played if you got run down: an ambulance arrived to remove the body and chalk lines were painted around the Zimmer frame instead of the body!
  • Options
    St Agnes is beautiful. Again did a lovely walk from our van in Perranporth to St Agnes. Stunning.

Also walked from Polperro to Fowey. Beautiful. We really do have some beautiful coastline. Just don't always get the weather.

And another vote for Studland... gorgeous. Though our walk slightly spoiled by the old fella rising up from the sand dunes wearing only his ruck sack with his "indicator" on!!

• Options
    My childhood featured holidays in Ventnor. It's a lovely place.
  • Options
    Surprised Aldeburgh in Suffolk hasn't had a mention. It's a rocky beach like Brighton, but is a great little town.
  • Options
    Snooooooooks
  • Options

Sidmouth

Going down to Bridport this weekend and plan to visit. Never been before.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018

Nice to see a thread so positive about our coastline.

Agreed, great thread this. We have beautiful coastline in our country, and it's better protected than in many other places from over development.

The weather issue can be exaggerated too, most days in summer you'll get reasonable weather
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Southsea is very nice. Lots of little bars and eating places.Nice beach and a lovely pier.
    Only a thirty minute walk along the coastal path to Portsmouth or a five minute bus ride.

I stayed near there when we played Pompey last season. A very nice weekend even without the match!
  • Options
    This thread would be shorter if it was crap seaside towns.
    Sounds like we have an abundance of great seaside towns.
  • Options

clive said:

Walmington-On-Sea

Is your surname Dunn?
    Stupid boy!
  • Options

Winchelsea beach,I love counting the stones, I was up to 8,999,100 on my last visit

We lived there for 3 years but my wife hated the wildlife. Most of which was splattered over the front of the car or coming in the house.
  • Options
    Wells-next-the-sea in norfolk, spent many a childhood holiday there. Fantastic beach.
  • Options

clive said:

Walmington-On-Sea

Is your surname Dunn?
    Don’t tell him, Pike.
    Don't panic, i won't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

pettgra said:

I stayed near there when we played Pompey last season. A very nice weekend even without the match!
    I was there this season when Pompey turned over Plymouth 3-0.
    Met some Plymouth supporters in Southsea after the match. Not a bad place to lick your wounds.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

our walk slightly spoiled by the old fella rising up from the sand dunes wearing only his ruck sack with his "indicator" on!!

You have a rucksack for your old fella?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Winchelsea beach,I love counting the stones, I was up to 8,999,100 on my last visit

We lived there for 3 years but my wife hated the wildlife. Most of which was splattered over the front of the car or coming in the house.
    Dogs hill Road ???

• Options

Dogs hill Road ???

No, a little lane off of Sea rd.
  • Options

Steephill cove iow

Beautiful little cove, not easy to get to so it is unspoilt. Lovely crab sandwiches from the café at the end of the cove.

I love the Isle of Wight, had many good holidays as a child and my husband and I frequently visit it.
  • Options
    B R O A D S T A I R S . . . . .
  • Options

As a boy we had a lot of holidays in Seaton, North Devon which I liked a lot, have not been back there for years, so do not know , what it is like now

It's changed quite dramatically, it's in south Devon these days
    Sorry you are quite right, it is over 50 years ago that I was there, and I wondered what it was like now.
  • Options

Dogs hill Road ???

No, a little lane off of Sea rd.
    was you on the run ;)
  • Options
    Sidmouth & another little gem Beer, both in East Devon
  • Options

Sidmouth & another little gem Beer, both in East Devon

So that should make Seaton East Devon, as it is near Beer