Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite seaside town in England.

Comments

• Options

Winchelsea beach,I love counting the stones, I was up to 8,999,100 on my last visit

We lived there for 3 years but my wife hated the wildlife. Most of which was splattered over the front of the car or coming in the house.
    Dogs hill Road ???

No, a little lane off of Sea rd.
    I would love to live along The Ridge. Love Winchelsea Beach.
  • Options
    The question is 'Favourite English Seaside Town' and for me that is probably Scarborough as it has on offer all the traditional English seaside pursuits.

That is not the same as saying it is my favourite seaside place to visit however although I do like it having both spent time when one of my daughter's was at university there and, many years before that, attended the Scarborough Cricket Festival when it was an important part of the annual cricket calendar.
  • Options
    Rye is nice. Not exactly right by the sea but as a town it ain't bad. Plenty of pubs and interesting shops. Plus a castle. Can't go wrong.
  • Options
    Birmingham
  • Options
    Winterton on sea, go every year and have for about 15 years. Was only about 5 years ago I found out it’s where my ancestors originated, ran the lifeboats there and at Caister.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Winterton on sea, go every year and have for about 15 years. Was only about 5 years ago I found out it’s where my ancestors originated, ran the lifeboats there and at Caister.

Did they have a turnstile to get into the lifeboats? :wink:
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Southwold has a lifeboat 'museum' (worth a look round, it's a tiny place) .. I believe that the Victorian era lifeboat on display is the old one from Caister ..
  • Options
    West Wittering is gorgeous and i would highly recommend for a weekend at the beach (maybe wait for the summer!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Staithes.
  • Options
    Just moved to a rental just outside Newquay whilst we look for a place to buy.

Newquay town centre is a dump but the view across Fistral Beach when I was playing golf this morning was simply stunning.

All marred by the fact that my missus hadn't finished unpacking the boxes by the time I'd finished my round! ;-)
  • Options
    Brighton for a lash up
    Weymouth for family/sedate
  • Options
    Barmouth, N.Wales.

The town is not really anythingto write home about, but you can park at the station on the other side of the estuary and then walk across the railway bridge with some spectacular views, then grab some fish and chips and eat them out the wrapping down by the sea front or while you check out the tacky fun fair. Very pleasant on a warm summer's evening

• Options

Just moved to a rental just outside Newquay whilst we look for a place to buy.

Newquay town centre is a dump but the view across Fistral Beach when I was playing golf this morning was simply stunning.

All marred by the fact that my missus hadn't finished unpacking the boxes by the time I'd finished my round! ;-)

I assume all your clothing is now floating in the sea :smiley:
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Dartmouth although in the estuary has plenty of great beaches nearby and is a great town. Sitting out at dusk, seeing the pastel coloured houses change hue is stunning. Great pubs, chain ferry to steam railway, regatta, decent weather being so far south, and fresh caught fish in restaurants.

Special mention for Stourport which is nowhere near the sea but at the conjunction of river and canal has coastal feel with amusement arcades, sticks of rock, pubs and a permanent holidaymaker feel.
  • Options

Birmingham

No kidding!

• Options
    Shoeburyness is quite interesting. Lots of history and some decent walks, especially if you have dogs. Reasonable beach - the people of Southend use it.
  • Options
    Saltburn on Sea on the North Yorkshire coast. Fantastic.
  • Options
    No votes for nudist beaches yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too many pricks there
  • Options

Shoeburyness is quite interesting. Lots of history and some decent walks, especially if you have dogs. Reasonable beach - the people of Southend use it.

Shoeburyness - the place that gave the world the Shrapnel shell and where Frankie Howard started his entertainment career.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Southwold has a lifeboat 'museum' (worth a look round, it's a tiny place) .. I believe that the Victorian era lifeboat on display is the old one from Caister ..
    The Lifeboat house at Southwold originally came from Cromer, and the lifeboat is the "John Corry" at one time stationed at Southwold. My favourite sea side town has got to be Southwold, Adnams brewery, the lighthouse,and pier, and of course, I live there. My second, would be my late wife's home town of Fowey, in Cornwall. I know she would have liked to move back there when I retired, but I told her, it was too far to come up to the Valley, for each game. The East Angilia coast has quite a few attractive coastal towns, Aldeborogh, Warberswick. Cromer, Sherrinham, Wells-next- the-Sea, and Burnham Quay. (I think thats what it's called) But we are very lucky, here in England, to have so many fine seaside resorts to choose from.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

The Lifeboat house at Southwold originally came from Cromer, and the lifeboat is the "John Corry" at one time stationed at Southwold. My favourite sea side town has got to be Southwold, Adnams brewery, the lighthouse,and pier, and of course, I live there. My second, would be my late wife's home town of Fowey, in Cornwall. I know she would have liked to move back there when I retired, but I told her, it was too far to come up to the Valley, for each game. The East Angilia coast has quite a few attractive coastal towns, Aldeborogh, Warberswick. Cromer, Sherrinham, Wells-next- the-Sea, and Burnham Quay. (I think thats what it's called) But we are very lucky, here in England, to have so many fine seaside resorts to choose from.
    Have been going to Southwold for about 25 years , and although still love the place I do feel it has lost a bit of it's charm over the years , closure of a few shops , the arrival of a tescos express etc , the revamp of the Sole Bay Inn a few years back removed a bit of it's character. Think it has lost it's hidden secret as it once was with more and more tourists and most homes being holiday homes. The pubs in general , the pier and the long walk to the Harbour Inn still have great appeal though , hopefully it can retain it's attraction for many a year. Be interested to hear your take of things as a resident.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I’ve genuinely never heard of Southwold so definitely one to look into at some stage (as well as a load of others on this thread).

Really helpful thread
  • Options

I’ve genuinely never heard of Southworld so definitely one to look into at Somme stage (as well as a load of others on this thread).

Really helpful thread

it's Southwold and nowhere near the Somme ;-))

• Options

Rob7Lee said:

Have been going to Southwold for about 25 years , and although still love the place I do feel it has lost a bit of it's charm over the years , closure of a few shops , the arrival of a tescos express etc , the revamp of the Sole Bay Inn a few years back removed a bit of it's character. Think it has lost it's hidden secret as it once was with more and more tourists and most homes being holiday homes. The pubs in general , the pier and the long walk to the Harbour Inn still have great appeal though , hopefully it can retain it's attraction for many a year. Be interested to hear your take of things as a resident.
    I do so agree, it has changed so much over the years, as, I suppose, do a lot of places. We have lost two more pubs, the Kings Head, and the Southwold Arms, the others, well, not what they used to be, including the Randolph, in Reydon. As for the new builds, the bloke who designed those, must have had a bad hangover when he drew them up. The little shop, opposite the Blyth Hotel, the garage and bike shop behind it are due for demolition, goodness knows what they have got planned to take their place. Well, the tourists do bring some welcome trade to the town, however, in the evening, and in the winter, we do get the town back to ourselves Basically, I still think it's a pleasant place to live, The seafront, the dunes down to the harbour, and the Adnams ale round at the Con Club will keep me there, and, taking some stick, from the Tractor Boys in town, for being a Charlton supporter, make it all worthwhile.
  • Options
    Lynton and Lynmouth on the edge of Exmoor are beautiful
  • Options
    Ashers said:

Lynton and Lynmouth on the edge of Exmoor are beautiful

very true, not been for a good few years now though.