Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R.I.P Chas Hodges

124»

Comments

• Options

Still one of the great music facts that Chas and Dave were on one of Eminem’s biggest tracks.
    The sample from “I got the” by Labi Siffre which featured heavily in Eminem’s first big hit “My name is”.
    Chas and Dave played guitar and bass as session musicians on the track.

Did they get any money for that sample? The songwriter Labi Saffre is credited on the Eminem track, but do the musicians get any royalties seeing that it's their playing that is actually being sampled?
    I would assume they are just paid as session musicians and get a flat fee for the work but no future royalties on any songs etc.
    No knowledge of how it works, just a guess
    I think that's correct.

The legal side of sampling is a bit controversial anyway. When Every Breath you Take was sampled by Puff Daddy, it was Sting the songwriter who got the royalties, even though the guitar riff sampled was played and created by Andy Sumner!
    Ginger Baker has similar complaints about songs that were written originally by Jack Bruce and/or Eric Clapton as Cream. His argument being that he changed the way in which the songs were played - Sunshine Of Your Love is a specific example - and that, as much as the notes and words, contributed to the songs success.
    Yeah, but Ginger Baker's mad as a box of frogs!

• Options
    Yea you can copyright a song, but not specific notes, if that makes sense?
    A vocal melody can be copyrighted if it's distinctive enough, but you can't copyright the words to a song, simply put you can copyright music but not lyrics, there's always room for argument within this which is the reason for court cases.
  • Options
    And session musicians usually get a flat fee which is them waving the right to any legal claim of the copyright.
  • Options
    RedMist said:

And session musicians usually get a flat fee which is them waving the right to any legal claim of the copyright.

Yep, which is why Rod Stewart famously only ever got a set of car seat covers for the vocals on "In a Broken Dream", which made it to #3 in the UK charts after he'd become famous.
  • Options
    Simon Cowell frequently features as co-writer of X Faxtor hits because he is a great lyricist/musician/opportunist (delete as appropriate)
  • Options
    Talking of Ginger Baker he features in an excellent Sky Arts documentary presented by Steve White called The Art of Drumming. It's 3 or 4 parts and available on catch up.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Talking of Ginger Baker he features in an excellent Sky Arts documentary presented by Steve White called The Art of Drumming. It's 3 or 4 parts and available on catch up.

Great minds - I mentioned this on the new TV Series thread last week
  • Options

Riviera said:

Of course you're a frustrated drummer aren't you @Addick Addict
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And guitarist
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And guitarist
    Shall we go on?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And guitarist
    Shall we go on?
    Stylophone too. But I had to stop playing my stylophone in public because I kept getting mistaken for Rolf Harris.
  • Options
    They played the Mill in Plumstead back in the days of yore.
    Wish I'd seen that.