Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Michael Palin series starts Thursday night. Sept 20th.

13»

Comments

• Options

Interesting but left me wanting more.

Ok it's just a two part TV show and the interviews, locations were controlled but would have liked more on the untouched town of Keasong and its architecture, who was using the modern offices of in the street built in a year and yes HS1 will take longer but how did they build it so fast.

Are they moving to a Chinese/Vietnamese model of communist state with capitalist economy?

Keohane is a Korean name.

• Options

As always, the mystery and enigma that is North Korea goes on and on.
    Also left me wanting to know so much more......but if someone with the tact and gentle nature of Michael Palin can’t get any closer to the truth, then no one can.
    Would like to have known more about what they thought (and knew) about the world outside of NK not just from the view point given by the predictable reply from his female minder. I wonder what answer the army officer would have given?
    Would be good if he could invite his two guides to The UK for a reality check....I wonder if that scenario has crossed Michaels or the programme producers mind?

Are ordinary North Koreans even allowed to leave the country?
  • Options

Also left me wanting to know so much more......but if someone with the tact and gentle nature of Michael Palin can’t get any closer to the truth, then no one can.
    Would like to have known more about what they thought (and knew) about the world outside of NK not just from the view point given by the predictable reply from his female minder. I wonder what answer the army officer would have given?
    Would be good if he could invite his two guides to The UK for a reality check....I wonder if that scenario has crossed Michaels or the programme producers mind?

No they’re not......but I rather think those two would not be considered ‘ordinary’.
  • Options

No they’re not......but I rather think those two would not be considered ‘ordinary’.
    The minders are watched just as much as Palin. Can't have them being infected with strange ideas by their contact with foreigners.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

The minders are watched just as much as Palin. Can't have them being infected with strange ideas by their contact with foreigners.
    True.....but hope springs eternal....just maybe the NK’s might consider it should Michael ‘officially’ invite them.
    Wouldn’t look good on them if they declined......mind you, that wouldn’t bother them much.
  • Options
    Read this article on a bloke who wanted to play Golf at North Korea's only course a few years ago

Is quite a good read... http://www.earthnutshell.com/out-of-bounds-in-north-korea-pyongyang-golf-course/
  • Options
    That airport was spooky.
    It all felt very staged.
    I’m glad I watched it albeit it left me with far more questions than answers.
  • Options

A few North Koreans are allowed to leave to work in North Korean restaurants, we have one here in KM.

They defect quite a lot too.
  • Options

They do allow NK citizens out of the country to work, but not in the 'outside world' if you like. China would take a lot on, but less so these days following their missile antics. Russia accepts a lot, to work crappy jobs in horrible conditions for bad pay and the NK government take just about all of a worker's money as it's one of their few means of obtaining foreign currency. Overseas worker's families are basically hostages until they return and then the worker has to go through 're-education & reintegration'.

It's not a gap year thing by any means!
  • Options

A few North Koreans are allowed to leave to work in North Korean restaurants, we have one here in KM.

Just checked Kunming on the map, I hadn't realised just how far away Korea is from you! Indeed North Korea borders Russia, with Vladivostok just over the border
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just checked Kunming on the map, I hadn't realised just how far away Korea is from you! Indeed North Korea borders Russia, with Vladivostok just over the border
    Yah, couldn't get much further without going into Tibet.
  • Options
    If RD sells,does that mean we can't have a pre-season friendly against Pyongyang People's Liberation FC?
  • Options
    I thought The Valley SE7 was already twinned with Pyongyang?
  • Options
    The airport scene was absolutely unreal
  • Options
    My kind of women, petite doll like and plastic looking...
  • Options

I can't respond to this as my Mrs is watching me.
  • Options

Be My Girl Sally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWI9NX4g28
  • Options

This is the wiki entry for the huge sports stadium pointed out by Palin when he was on top of the tower .. the largest sports arena in the world .. quite remarkable and I don't think that it was mentioned during the programme .. did his minders neglect to tell him I wonder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rungrado_1st_of_May_Stadium

There’s a bigger stadium in Prague
  • Options

This is the wiki entry for the huge sports stadium pointed out by Palin when he was on top of the tower .. the largest sports arena in the world .. quite remarkable and I don't think that it was mentioned during the programme .. did his minders neglect to tell him I wonder?

according to wiki the Prague venue is no longer used for 'sport' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahov_Stadium
  • Options

according to wiki the Prague venue is no longer used for 'sport' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahov_Stadium
    If I’m right and I might not be I think this very big stadium was originally built to accommodate the USSR games and apart from that was mainly used for parades.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2018

If I’m right and I might not be I think this very big stadium was originally built to accommodate the USSR games and apart from that was mainly used for parades.

wiki says it was mainly used for gymnastic exhibitions and displays
  • Options
    Congratulations Sir Michael.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Absolutely chuffed......the person top of my list who I would love to meet.

• Options

Addickted said:

Absolutely chuffed......the person top of my list who I would love to meet.

A legend. And it'll wind up Cleese and Idle that Palin was knighted and they weren't :smile: