Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 Shrews 1 - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    What is there goalie appealing for? Grant's not offside, didn't handle it, ball was in play.

Seems to be something goalies do when they get beaten.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Just watched the highlights on the Sky video.

Neither manager is going to be happy with the defending.

Lovely forward run into space in the box by Pratley, who did ever so well to turn and dig out that little cross to the near post; Grant's quick anticipation and movement was 1st class. Quality to see his marker, number 6, standing all alone on the 6 yard line having lost his man - no doubt he knows his manager will give him both barrels.

Very disappointed that we again conceded from the deep cross into the box, similar to Sunderland's late winner last week.
    Teams will continue to exploit that vulnerability.

A problem when your 5'3" right back is playing LCB.
    Agreed, this will always be an issue with Solly playing as a third centre back.
    Solly is 5'8" - Chris Perry was 5'9"...

Erhun Oztumer is 5'3" and scored a header against us at the Valley last season
    Wait, what. You're telling us that Solly is not 5'3''? I'm not having that.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    iaitch said:

What is there goalie appealing for? Grant's not offside, didn't handle it, ball was in play.

Probably asking his team mates how they let the cross come in and who was marking Grant

Either that or its a lame attempt to claim the ball went out of play
  • Options

Croydon said:

Stewart said:

There was more at Luton then at Charlton today.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Luton’s first game at home in a higher division will have given them a boost for the novelty factor. That will begin to fade if they start losing.

When Charlton play Sunderland at home and Luton play Shrewsbury at home do you think there will still be more at Luton than Charlton then as well ?
    Overall no, because Sunderland will bring 3k+, but in the home stands, yes probably.
    Luton sold more season tickets than we have.
    Not really bothered about Luton tbh.
    Good for you, but it's an interesting comparison whether you think so or not.
    err, I don't think so. First time in this division for 10 years, after being relegated out of the FL a few years later. I have no idea about their owner or their budget/transfer kitty, but I doubt they are in a worse situation than we are with regard to recruiting players and ownership.....and I doubt they have fans opening boycotting games ??

Get real.
    Wtf are you on about. It was comparison of attendances, not current state of the club.

Do you just live life constantly on the edge of outrage? Must be exhausting.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    iaitch said:

He's appealing for whatevetr he can get, Jack Sh*t normally. First rule of goalkeeping (ask @Leuth) when you've been mugged off, appeal for anything to deflect blame from your cock up.
  • Options
    Or look at the ground disapprovingly to indicate the divot you slipped on, whatever works
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Great assist by Pratley - did well to get a cross in from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Croydon said:

Stewart said:

There was more at Luton then at Charlton today.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Luton’s first game at home in a higher division will have given them a boost for the novelty factor. That will begin to fade if they start losing.

When Charlton play Sunderland at home and Luton play Shrewsbury at home do you think there will still be more at Luton than Charlton then as well ?
    Overall no, because Sunderland will bring 3k+, but in the home stands, yes probably.
    Luton sold more season tickets than we have.
    Not really bothered about Luton tbh.
    Good for you, but it's an interesting comparison whether you think so or not.
    err, I don't think so. First time in this division for 10 years, after being relegated out of the FL a few years later. I have no idea about their owner or their budget/transfer kitty, but I doubt they are in a worse situation than we are with regard to recruiting players and ownership.....and I doubt they have fans opening boycotting games ??

Get real.
    Wtf are you on about. It was comparison of attendances, not current state of the club.

Do you just live life constantly on the edge of outrage? Must be exhausting.
    Luton were in the top two divisions for a long time so I don't really see them as a small club. They have a decent enough history and It's only really the last ten years or so that have seen them plummet.

If we get lower crowds than Accrington Stanley then I'll be worried.
  • Options
    Accrington who?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

As happy as I am for the youngsters that will get a chance this season, it's through necessity rather than choice, not sure that quite qualifies as the manager trusting them to be honest.

But fair play to those who have come in, looked right up for it and the strength of our academy might just ensure we avoid a total disaster this year.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I wonder if Gobbo realises that his magical number ten Albie Morgan was just waiting for a call-up from U23s?
  • Options
    There goal was not down to Solly, it was down to Sarr being pulled out to the wing, the right midfielder/ wing back should have been there, thought Grant and Aribo were our best players, nice to nick a late winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PAR (posted after reading)

Agree with virtually all other posts........love a stoppage time win, especially against the Salopians. Didn't think there was a better team & a draw may have been the fairer result - but we sure didn't deserve to lose last week & I mush prefer LW to DD. Game was very scrappy at times but it was never dull, even though both teams didn't create many chances & without looking at the stats I would say that we probably scored with our only 2 meaningful attempts on goal.

I'll be honest - I never have a clue about what formations are being used - being sat in the East its a bit hard to get a perspective rather than looking at the team head on (if sat in the North). However, I will say that having Marshall (a right footed player) playing on the left seems daft to me & seeing as he always has to cut in onto his right it did seem a bit pointless him being out there. I can see why LB is still looking for a winger/striker to (presumably) fill that roll - although when fit Fosu will be the perfect player out there.

Apart from that I felt LB got it spot on today. All the players put a shift in & then some. My MOTM would have to be Lapslie, just for his non-stop running & effervescence.......looks like a youngster who has won a prize to play with his heroes & is making the most of it. Taylor ran him a close second..........what a player & his hold up play puts Magennis to shame. I don't think I've seen a front man give an opposition defender so much trouble.........and a word to their manager - Beccles was doing more holding & grappling than our bleached haired surfer-boy. Morgan looked sharp when he came on & "for sure" he can at least take a half decent corner. Prately is all I hoped for & more. So much better than Kashi, simply because his first option isn't to go backwards & put his foot in & won the
    ball countless number of times. His experience will be invaluable. Grant took his goal expertly - as someone said earlier - there was no way he could score from that angle.......but he did !!! get in !!

As for the rest of the team - very solid, with Bauer & Sarr forming a decent partnership, even though Sarr tries to be Beckenbauer at times. Solly & Page were steady & Page had one great run in the first half which could had lead to a goal if he had not tried to launch the ball into the Thames.

Still have no idea how this season will go. With all the turmoil, injuries & lack of depth to the squad then we should really be happy with staying in this division, with anything between 10th & 18th place being the target. However, when all our players are fit we have a pretty good squad of 18 players & if LB gets them gelling then a top 10 place is there for the taking & who knows, a late run could even see us nick 6th again !!!

steady on there. what happened? did you get laid this weekend or something? so much positivity!
    Oi !!! watch you mouth young lad..... lol
  • Options
    If anyone saw the picture posted by Lewis Page, that was taken by me. Hope people like it, there will be plenty more where that came from this season> It will hopefully make it to the programme come next home game
  • Options
    Jesus Christ, that has to be the softest winning goal I have ever seen us score, Shrewsbury's manager must have been going absolutely mental.

Pratley did well to get the ball in but there is no way we should be scoring there.
  • Options
    Some have said Taylor backs on to the centre half like Magennis. Magennis never caused the CH any problems. Taylor backs on at a certain angle threatening to turn the centre half if he makes a mistake. He is a nightmare to play against and IMO a different class to Magennis. Two goals in two games in the championship is superb, but you have to feel they will dry up. That said, he would have been a great addition to the squad.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Just watched the highlights on the Sky video.

Neither manager is going to be happy with the defending.

Lovely forward run into space in the box by Pratley, who did ever so well to turn and dig out that little cross to the near post; Grant's quick anticipation and movement was 1st class. Quality to see his marker, number 6, standing all alone on the 6 yard line having lost his man - no doubt he knows his manager will give him both barrels.

Very disappointed that we again conceded from the deep cross into the box, similar to Sunderland's late winner last week.
    Teams will continue to exploit that vulnerability.

A problem when your 5'3" right back is playing LCB.
    Agreed, this will always be an issue with Solly playing as a third centre back.
    Was never an issue for Paul Parker.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

It's part exasperation, part "If I appeal, something might be given".
  • Options
    Marshall seems to treat the ball like a hand grenade,he cant get rid of it quick enough.He is quick,no one is going to moan if he tries positive moves and they dont always come off.really want him to succeed as he works his socks off and seems to have some affection for the club.
  • Options
    The one thing Marshall is good at is getting to the by line and putting in a decent cross.
    For one reason or another this hardly ever happens.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The one thing Marshall is good at is getting to the by line and putting in a decent cross.
    For one reason or another this hardly ever happens.

looks like we have disagreements in other areas than leaving the EU then as I can't see how you think Marshall is good at crossing. He can't cross for toffee & never gets to the byline......that it what infuriates me about him...he always cuts inside. Not ever seen him cross on the run. Best crosser we have on the run atm is Page. Both goals came from crosses when Marshall had been subbed.

how many goals did we score from his crosses last season ?? did you see his corners against Sunderland ??

I like Marshall as he's fast & never stops running.....but a decent crosser ?? nah.

(I really do think we are in a parallel universe)