Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 Shrews 1 - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Thought we started brightly but then faded as the 1st half went on as we ran out of ideas to break them down. Very bold and brave move by Bowyer to take off one of his few experienced players to give Morgan his debut. Morgan did well but he didn’t change the game, moving to a back three did. Not sure Solly’s the right person for a back three as their goal proved (quick free kick forced Sarr out wide leaving a lack of height when the crosscame in) but the system won us the game. When was the last time both our strikers scored in the first game. Hopefully we pick up enough points until the long term injuries return to give us a chance of the play offs again.
  • Options
  • Options
    There was more at Luton then at Charlton today.

Let that sink in for a minute.
  • Options
    Stewart said:

Yeah but its Luton

So many went to Kenilworth to try and forget what a dump of a place it is - Unfortunately as they all entered the ground they realised what a dump the ground is
  • Options
    Landed at Malaga and saw Shews had just equalised. Was refreshing BeeB Sport App waiting for the inevitable winner. Couldn’t believe it when it was us who scored it.
    Thanks for all the reviews, holiday started with a smile.
  • Options
    Mag has got two in two up at Bolton, as has Taylor here. I expect Taylor to end up with more than Josh by the end of the season.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    When did we sign Gareth from the office
  • Options
    I do not understand Marshall.

He gets the shirt to start so must have done everything in training to get the nod from Lee.

Wasn't there but post match views said he had a shocker - which isn't a one off.

He was Poty at Bradford losing in the play off final to go to the Championship when we signed him so must have been great. Bradford chairman was gutted when he left.

If he is playing left wing being right footed is Lee just playing him through lack of depth?

Just thinking that Fosu and Marshall together with Taylor, all together, would scare the hell out of most League 1 defences...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Impressed with the way Bow, and Jacko, spoke to young Jacks family after the applause.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2018
    Given the number of Academy players are in the squad, I am wondering how the Under 23 and other teams are getting along.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Truly couldn't be happier that football is back. Yeah Roland is still here but I can't stop smiling today. The youth were immense today and truly seem to care about this club. Really hope the takeover happens soon because this would be a great up yours to Roland on his way out.

Totally agree with this. And good to see you posting! I had thought you'd given up on us in recent months/years and honestly I wouldn't have blamed ya... good to know you're still following. :-)
  • Options
    I took his tweet to be tongue in cheek.........
  • Options
    BR3red said:

I do not understand Marshall.

He gets the shirt to start so must have done everything in training to get the nod from Lee.

Wasn't there but post match views said he had a shocker - which isn't a one off.

He was Poty at Bradford losing in the play off final to go to the Championship when we signed him so must have been great. Bradford chairman was gutted when he left.

If he is playing left wing being right footed is Lee just playing him through lack of depth?

Just thinking that Fosu and Marshall together with Taylor, all together, would scare the hell out of most League 1 defences...

I reckon Bowyer knew he couldn't start the game 3-5-2. I think he knew they'd lose if he did. Marshall was the fall guy. He is a quality right winger at this level, but even on the right on his stronger foot he'd have had little activity in a 4-4-2 in that cagey first half.

It was very noticeable in the second half that Lapslie gave a lot more width by hugging the right touch line. This resulted in Sarr in particular, as well as Morgan, playing a few peach passes. Sarr in the first half was woeful with his distribution, but he looked a different player in the second half due to the space created by the formation change. I wonder if he could play a deep lying midfield role in a 4-1-3-2 when needed as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Stewart said:

How many did Sunderland bring though?

Luton aren't a small club anyway. They've won a major trophy in the 80s, they and Watford are comparable
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

PWR.

Turned up for the first home game of the season yet the buzz of excitement and eager anticipation which normally accompanies this occasion (until 15 minutes or so into the game anyway) seemed strangely absent and the general atmosphere outside the ground seemed instead to be one of I'm here but I don't really know why.

Anyway some may be pleased to hear that I was able to collect my duplicate season ticket, one of many it seemed, with no hassle. Naturally sod's law had previously intervened as the original arrived in the post this morning just as I was leaving! However they had deactivated it in order to prepare the duplicate which meant I needed to collect the duplicate anyway.

To the game: After a moving ceremony for young Jack Jeffreys RIP the match kicked off and Shrewsbury went straight on the offensive. The BFG's dreams of Championship football were put in sharp focus as Shrewsbury's number 18 ?Gillead left him in the next county pacewise with 3 or 4 runners awaiting a pass or cross. Fortunately 'we've got Chris Solly he's f******* quality,' or perhaps it was Pat Cash masquerading as him, got back to extinguish the danger.

That initial Shrewsbury attack set the tone as their pace made them look dangerous on the counter. However Aribo and Lapslie got more involved in tracking runners and we looked a little more assured defensively. Pratley too seemed to anticipate danger and intervened with effect on a few occasions. We didn't create a great deal in the first half but Marshall and Grant got to the bye line and put over whipped low crosses which nobody was able to get on the end of. Lapslie too got forward and looked to be knocked over in the area whilst pursuing the ball. Grant broke away and appeared to have a one on one but a Shrewsbury defender managed to get a foot to the ball before he (Grant) could shoot and they went in all square at 0-0 at half time.

Second half started like the first with Shrewsbury on the offensive and in the meantime the pace and energy of Marshall had been replaced by the relatively unknown quantity of Albie Morgan. The much maligned Dillon Phillips made a smart save down by his left hand post to prevent a certain headed goal.

Again Charlton weathered the storm and eventually got forward to launch a few attacks of their own. Encouragingly young Morgan did not appear overawed or outclassed and seemed to fit in seamlessly. He even took responsibility for deadball deliveries once he came on.

The first Charlton goal came from a pin point cross by the tireless George Lapslie and Lyle Taylor got in front of his marker to nod it into the righthand corner of the Covered End goal. Coleman in the Shrewsbury girl may feel he should have made a better attempt at saving it but the book said 1-0.

As us seasoned fans know only too well Charlton are always vulnerable with a slender lead. We defended deeper and deeper Shrewsbury pressed more and more and it was just a question of whether or not we could hold out. The answer, inevitably, was no and we then hoped that we weren't going to lose 2-1 again as at that time only one team was going to win it and it wasn't us.

However Shrewsbury's goal galvanised rather than paralysed our lads and Djiksteel (?spelling) (who'd come on for the exhausted Lapslie) put a cross into the near post where Karlan Grant somehow found the net from an incredibly acute angle just as Big Brian was announcing 5 minutes of added on time.

2-1 to Charlton! They saw out the 5 minutes and we had 3 points.

A good determined team performance so hard to single out individuals. However for me young Lapslie and Aribo worked like trojans. Morgan came on and looked like he'd been playing forever and Solly and Pratley steadied things where necessary.

Who knows how good either we or Shrewsbury are after just 2 games? However I venture to suggest that the pace that Shrewsbury have in their side will trouble a few and that we picked up a decent win today.

COYR

One correction, it was Pratley who somehow got the cross in for the winner
  • Options
    In my opinion Sar and Prately should play in front of the back 3 in a 3,2,3,2 formation.
    Sar is more useful as creative libro type than straight defender
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In my opinion Sar and Prately should play in front of the back 3 in a 3,2,3,2 formation.

Take Sarr out of the CB role and we'd only have one left anyway! He was decent today (albeit their equaliser was confusion/ a mass lapse of focus over the whole defence) so I'd leave him be for now.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Take Sarr out of the CB role and we'd only have one left anyway! He was decent today (albeit their equaliser was confusion/ a mass lapse of focus over the whole defence) so I'd leave him be for now.
    Alright leave him there, but encourage him to bring the ball forward.
  • Options

ross1 said:
    Lets hope someone puts his stapler in jelly
  • Options

I took his tweet to be tongue in cheek.........
    If not pure sarcasm.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

PWR.

Turned up for the first home game of the season yet the buzz of excitement and eager anticipation which normally accompanies this occasion (until 15 minutes or so into the game anyway) seemed strangely absent and the general atmosphere outside the ground seemed instead to be one of I'm here but I don't really know why.

Anyway some may be pleased to hear that I was able to collect my duplicate season ticket, one of many it seemed, with no hassle. Naturally sod's law had previously intervened as the original arrived in the post this morning just as I was leaving! However they had deactivated it in order to prepare the duplicate which meant I needed to collect the duplicate anyway.

To the game: After a moving ceremony for young Jack Jeffreys RIP the match kicked off and Shrewsbury went straight on the offensive. The BFG's dreams of Championship football were put in sharp focus as Shrewsbury's number 18 ?Gillead left him in the next county pacewise with 3 or 4 runners awaiting a pass or cross. Fortunately 'we've got Chris Solly he's f******* quality,' or perhaps it was Pat Cash masquerading as him, got back to extinguish the danger.

That initial Shrewsbury attack set the tone as their pace made them look dangerous on the counter. However Aribo and Lapslie got more involved in tracking runners and we looked a little more assured defensively. Pratley too seemed to anticipate danger and intervened with effect on a few occasions. We didn't create a great deal in the first half but Marshall and Grant got to the bye line and put over whipped low crosses which nobody was able to get on the end of. Lapslie too got forward and looked to be knocked over in the area whilst pursuing the ball. Grant broke away and appeared to have a one on one but a Shrewsbury defender managed to get a foot to the ball before he (Grant) could shoot and they went in all square at 0-0 at half time.

Second half started like the first with Shrewsbury on the offensive and in the meantime the pace and energy of Marshall had been replaced by the relatively unknown quantity of Albie Morgan. The much maligned Dillon Phillips made a smart save down by his left hand post to prevent a certain headed goal.

Again Charlton weathered the storm and eventually got forward to launch a few attacks of their own. Encouragingly young Morgan did not appear overawed or outclassed and seemed to fit in seamlessly. He even took responsibility for deadball deliveries once he came on.

The first Charlton goal came from a pin point cross by the tireless George Lapslie and Lyle Taylor got in front of his marker to nod it into the righthand corner of the Covered End goal. Coleman in the Shrewsbury girl may feel he should have made a better attempt at saving it but the book said 1-0.

As us seasoned fans know only too well Charlton are always vulnerable with a slender lead. We defended deeper and deeper Shrewsbury pressed more and more and it was just a question of whether or not we could hold out. The answer, inevitably, was no and we then hoped that we weren't going to lose 2-1 again as at that time only one team was going to win it and it wasn't us.

However Shrewsbury's goal galvanised rather than paralysed our lads and Djiksteel (?spelling) (who'd come on for the exhausted Lapslie) put a cross into the near post where Karlan Grant somehow found the net from an incredibly acute angle just as Big Brian was announcing 5 minutes of added on time.

2-1 to Charlton! They saw out the 5 minutes and we had 3 points.

A good determined team performance so hard to single out individuals. However for me young Lapslie and Aribo worked like trojans. Morgan came on and looked like he'd been playing forever and Solly and Pratley steadied things where necessary.

Who knows how good either we or Shrewsbury are after just 2 games? However I venture to suggest that the pace that Shrewsbury have in their side will trouble a few and that we picked up a decent win today.

COYR

One correction, it was Pratley who somehow got the cross in for the winner
    I don't care about that, I want to know more about Coleman and what he got up to with that lass from Shrewsbury, especially if there are any pictures.
  • Options

ross1 said:
    Lets hope someone puts his stapler in jelly
    He doesn’t like Jelly, he doesn’t trust the way it moves....
  • Options
    I would like to see what percentage of goals we have conceded from headers in recent years.I shudder when balls are played high into our area