Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 Shrews 1 - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Soap
  • Options

Just curious. Saop saying pre game that Charlton forum's spent the whole summer being bitter about the play off defeat. Where exactly? Not gonna deny there has been some bitterness on all the fórums over the summer, but I must have missed the bit about Shrewbury. Anyone checked SE7 Valiants?

So someone from shrewsbury monitored the Charlton forums all summer. Sad.
  • Options
    Great result , watched bits on iPad iPlayer with commentary and score and clock on game time in top right hand corner making it much better than last season but beware the delay between goal and the score being updated ranged from 30 seconds to 3 mins !!

Commentator said of the 22 players who started the play off game at The Valley only 4 were starting today , just Bauer for us .

Wasn’t the greatest performance but it will give the kids confidence.

0% Top two ............ 13% 3rd-6th .......... 70% 7th-12th ........... 17%13th-20th ........ 0% Relegation

100% Roland Out
  • Options

Comments from the Shrewsbury Manager

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2018/08/11/john-askey-pleased-with-shrewsbury-town-performance-despite-result/

Dont agree that it was Taylor's fault / backing into their Centre-Backs all day... Mount of time their players had their arms round him or pulling on his shirt was ridiculous

Hahaha. Good. They beat us fair and square over two legs but their roughing up tactics, niggly fouling and time wasting (the goalkeeper in particular) was diabolical.

Karma’s a bitch Salop
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @seth plum giving @grapevine a run for his money! Thanks for the in-depth report.
  • Options

Comments from the Shrewsbury Manager

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2018/08/11/john-askey-pleased-with-shrewsbury-town-performance-despite-result/

Dont agree that it was Taylor's fault / backing into their Centre-Backs all day... Mount of time their players had their arms round him or pulling on his shirt was ridiculous

Taylor was backing in and getting fouls.

He does it very well and long may it continue.

First time since Yann, who was the best, we've had a forward doing that and scoring.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Truly couldn't be happier that football is back. Yeah Roland is still here but I can't stop smiling today. The youth were immense today and truly seem to care about this club. Really hope the takeover happens soon because this would be a great up yours to Roland on his way out.
  • Options
    Brilliant from Lapslie and Morgan! RD better be gone before the next window ! Or he will sell them! Defo ones for the future
  • Options
    Spent the first 10 minutes in the ground getting the cleaners to wipe the bird shit off of my seat,I was not alone as many people had tissues out doing the same.Plenty of cobwebs too, obviously seats had not been cleaned since last season.Great performance from our kids,pity more people cant see their way clear to give these lads the support they deserve.The behind the scenes problems are nothing to do with them.
  • Options

However, when all our players are fit we have a pretty good squad of 18 players & if LB gets them gelling then a top 10 place is there for the taking & who knows, a late run could even see us nick 6th again !!!

I've never known you so euphoric, Golfie.

Nothing quite like a late, late winner is there? :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Just watched the highlights on the Sky video.

Neither manager is going to be happy with the defending.

Lovely forward run into space in the box by Pratley, who did ever so well to turn and dig out that little cross to the near post; Grant's quick anticipation and movement was 1st class. Quality to see his marker, number 6, standing all alone on the 6 yard line having lost his man - no doubt he knows his manager will give him both barrels.

Very disappointed that we again conceded from the deep cross into the box, similar to Sunderland's late winner last week.
    Teams will continue to exploit that vulnerability.

• Options

I rarely post after home games as most of us on here will have been there, done it and are wearing the T shirt....

....but wanted to say how proud I am of our lads after the first two games of the new season.

Every one of them has stepped up to the plate when it mattered most, with those drafted in to cover injury ravaged positions deserving a special mention. Heroes one and all at a time when success on the pitch lifts the faithful from the depths of takeover depression.

NO-ONE could fail to be impressed with the emergence of the latest batch of Young Guns. Steve Avory and indeed Jason Euell should take a well deserved bow for setting these lads on the right path to first team football. Not only are they showcasing the attributes they possess but their attitude on the pitch is to be commended....honest, give their all performances. This is what our famous football club is all about, Duchatelet but of course, that's something you'd never comprehend.

I have no wish to choose a MOM or indeed highlight any player for particular praise tonight, because it was the overall picture that pleased me; a glimpse perhaps of "our Charlton" once again, at least on the hallowed turf.

For me, having a Charlton manager and assistant makes a huge difference - this is where the ethos is initiated as demonstrated so ably by both Curbs and SCP. Long may Bow & JJ remain in post.

So, 3 points from 2 games and the taste of success for players & fans is undoubtedly sweet. With senior players striving to return to fitness, there will be competition for places in the starting eleven before too long which we shall follow with interest. Perhaps that well known refrain of "Things can only get better" deserves an encore ?

Tonight, I am feeling more optimistic about our future - something I never expected before 3pm this afternoon. But meeting up once again with good friends, acquaintances & raising a glass to young Jack and his family, has heartened this old gal and I'm now looking forward to the next 9 months with expectation more then hope.( Not THAT kind of expectation!)

See you in Milton Keynes !

I'm 100% with you

Apart from the last line :smile:
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2018
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11470502/charlton-2-1-shrewsbury

First Shrewsbury chance missed from header was terrible. Sunday league football.

Great build up for 2nd goal. Nice finish from Grant. Good strikers instinct. Great to see.

Always excellent to see Charlton win.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Lovely forward run into space in the box by Pratley, who did ever so well to turn and dig out that little cross to the near post; Grant's quick anticipation and movement was 1st class. Quality to see his marker, number 6, standing all alone on the 6 yard line having lost his man - no doubt he knows his manager will give him both barrels.

Very disappointed that we again conceded from the deep cross into the box, similar to Sunderland's late winner last week.

A problem when your 5'3" right back is playing LCB.
  • Options
    First game for many a year..bit dodgy at the back, but a very enjoyable. Considering the low investment the team played together very well!
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

A problem when your 5'3" right back is playing LCB.
    It was also a problem for our 5'10" left back at Sunderland last week.
    With Jason Pearce missing, the coaches need to work on defending that type of cross. I feel currently it's a vulnerability.

Other teams will see that.