Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer's Targets

13»

Comments

• Options

ross1 said:
    I dont get some of those comments:

"We won six, drew one yet could have won seven if we had to"

Surely winning seven games would have been better as we'd have ended up with Rotherham not Shrewsbury in the Play-Offs?
    Run out of league games, do not count play-offs
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor posting up a smiley face and “Done” on instagram according to a Bristol Rovers article but not sure who he has signed for.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Why is he being so incredibly bullish, to the point of incredulity, about the prospects for the new season? Does he not realise that we all know the squad has been decimated since the end of the last campaign and there seems no prospect of being able to put together a squad that can come anywhere near in quality terms.

He is sounding like those Brexiteers who keep insisting the UK will get a free trade agreement with the EU when all the evidence is to the contrary.

Whilst I still need to be convinced about his ability as a head coach/manager I don't believe he is stupid or delusional. I am beginning to have doubts that these quotes attributed to him on the OS are genuine. If they are genuine then he is treating Charlton fans like he believes they are idiots.
  • Options

ross1 said:
    Why is he being so incredibly bullish, to the point of incredulity, about the prospects for the new season? Does he not realise that we all know the squad has been decimated since the end of the last campaign and there seems no prospect of being able to put together a squad that can come anywhere near in quality terms.

He is sounding like those Brexiteers who keep insisting the UK will get a free trade agreement with the EU when all the evidence is to the contrary.

Whilst I still need to be convinced about his ability as a head coach/manager I don't believe he is stupid or delusional. I am beginning to have doubts that these quotes attributed to him on the OS are genuine. If they are genuine then he is treating Charlton fans like he believes they are idiots.
    Perhaps he is just genuinely hoping for the best, you would not want him saying: "I know we have not got enough players, and what we have got are not good enough, but hey, what the hell, let us try our best". Is this what you want to read, because I certainly do not
  • Options

ross1 said:

There is chaos, but the fans have to be placated with some kind of info. We heard LB speak for himself when he explained his managerial aims at the end of last season, and I suspect you are right about these quotes.

This is going to be a poor season, and we must prepare to stick by LB/JJ and not take our frustration out on the wrong people. Half the existing squad are already inside their final year.

I predict a 2019/2020 Chris-Powell-style pre-season bulk signing spree. Let's just hope we are not heading for L2 by then.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Perhaps he is just genuinely hoping for the best, you would not want him saying: "I know we have not got enough players, and what we have got are not good enough, but hey, what the hell, let us try our best". Is this what you want to read, because I certainly do not
    It is exactly what a lot of top managers say when they know the squad they have is no where near good enough to meet fans' expectations. And I think fans appreciate such honesty. I know the quality of the players who are left. Unless he has some top quality signings lined up then I don't appreciate this drivel about aiming for a top two spot.
  • Options
    lyle taylor as probably already mentioned his agent is ian harte lee bowyer possibly pals with wants to stay in london - could v easily be us, there are probably no staff in the club to change the batteries in the camera to take a photo of him.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

I'd prefer he said "currently I'd be lucky to put out an 18 man squad & if anymore leave before I bring in at least another 6 players then I'm walking. We currently have zero chance of getting anywhere near a top 6 place & we'll be very lucky to survive relegation"

Its called honour, realisism & integrity.
  • Options
    Being bullish is also a way of saying to your players that are coveted elsewhere but might be persuaded to stay ( Bauer) that you mean business. You might say the same when looking to attract players to come to the club. Being negative and downbeat will work a treat with both. Im certain that Bowyer has been in and around squads long enough to be personally realistic but savvy enough to be publicly upbeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Being bullish is also a way of saying to your players that are coveted elsewhere but might be persuaded to stay ( Bauer) that you mean business. You might say the same when looking to attract players to come to the club. Being negative and downbeat will work a treat with both. Im certain that Bowyer has been in and around squads long enough to be personally realistic but savvy enough to be publicly upbeat.

If Pep said those things I am sure a lot of players would accept it and ask no more questions. When someone with 10 games as manager under his belt and working at a club with no squad and no money says it I think the players might take a bit more persuading and maybe expect to see some evidence.
  • Options
    @ShootersHillGuru That is a frivolous flag you have given me. Mine, on the Takeover thread was justified on the grounds you are one of the second rank ITK posters and shouldn't be abusing your position to make cheap jokes! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2018

ross1 said:

ross1 said:

I'd prefer he said "currently I'd be lucky to put out an 18 man squad & if anymore leave before I bring in at least another 6 players then I'm walking. We currently have zero chance of getting anywhere near a top 6 place & we'll be very lucky to survive relegation"

I absolutely f**king hate this sort of comment.

So you'd be happier if we had NO manager, NO players, and we were unable to fulfil our fixtures?

And you've NEVER followed the 'party line' in your employment, even if you didn't necessarily believe it? And were then duly sacked?

Where was your "honour, realisism & integrity" then?
  • Options
    edited June 2018

ross1 said:

ross1 said:

So you'd be happier if we had NO manager, NO players, and we were unable to fulfil our fixtures?

And you've NEVER followed the 'party line' in your employment, even if you didn't necessarily believe it? And were then duly sacked?

yes I've quite often stood up in meetings & been the lone voice. I've resigned 3 times because of it, or something similar, over the past 30 years.

and yes, at this moment in time I would prefer we had no manager & no players. It would make the EFL act. I cant see how we are allowed to carry on atm with no CEO or SMT in place. In my eyes LB is a yes man & has lost my respect. Any player joining us now is only doing it for the money. You only have to take a look at our current playing squad to see what mess we are in. If a player does not even do the basic checks on our situation they have less brains than I even give them credit for.
  • Options

lyle taylor as probably already mentioned his agent is ian harte lee bowyer possibly pals with wants to stay in london - could v easily be us, there are probably no staff in the club to change the batteries in the camera to take a photo of him.

jason pearce has wished him "good luck bro" so probably not coming here - shame
  • Options

@ShootersHillGuru That is a frivolous flag you have given me. Mine, on the Takeover thread was justified on the grounds you are one of the second rank ITK posters and shouldn't be abusing your position to make cheap jokes! :)

Cheap jokes is my middle name

• Options

ross1 said:

ross1 said:

yes I've quite often stood up in meetings & been the lone voice. I've resigned 3 times because of it, or something similar, over the past 30 years.

and yes, at this moment in time I would prefer we had no manager & no players. It would make the EFL act. I cant see how we are allowed to carry on atm with no CEO or SMT in place. In my eyes LB is a yes man & has lost my respect. Any player joining us now is only doing it for the money. You only have to take a look at our current playing squad to see what mess we are in. If a player does not even do the basic checks on our situation they have less brains than I even give them credit for.
    Unbelievable.
  • Options

jason pearce has wished him "good luck bro" so probably not coming here - shame
    Best to read threads from where you left off. He has signed.