Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer's Targets

Who do you think is on the list he has provided Steve Gallen?

Any of the below would improve us & many are available for free:

Gk:
Luke Steele

CBs:
Omar Beckles
Matt Mills

CMs:
Abu Ogogo

Wingers:
Andy Hammill
Kazenga Lua Lua
Alex Rodman

Strikers:
Lyle Taylor
Clayton Donaldson
Tom Eaves

Comments

• edited June 2018
    Still need a Creative Midfielder though... Else it'll be another season of lumped balls into the box from whatever wingers we have;

As a result Ajose | Vetokele | Taylor (whoever stays) will get a small amount of goals as they cant play that way and so get slated by the fans as being rubbish
  • Eaves for me too. Suspect Lua Lua and Hammil are busted flushes but I guess that’s the market we’ll be in.
  • Wouldnt mind Hammil... His career seems more successful in League One

Doesn't seem able to perform in the Championship
  • Eaves is under contract isn't he, so that probably rules him out.
  • Eaves is under contract isn't he, so that probably rules him out.

Dont worry; Paul Scully loves Charlton so wont mind doing Business with us
  • Still need a Creative Midfielder though... Else it'll be another season of lumped balls into the box from whatever wingers we have;

As a result Ajose | Vetokele | Taylor (whoever stays) will get a small amount of goals as they cant play that way and so get slated by the fans as being rubbish

Can Billy Clarke be that player in the middle with Fosu & another good winger (Lua Lua) on the wings?

Thought Clarke looked very good at the start of last season & he apprarently played more forward passes into the box than any other player in league one the year before (at Bradford).
  • Still need a Creative Midfielder though... Else it'll be another season of lumped balls into the box from whatever wingers we have;

Can Billy Clarke be that player in the middle with Fosu & another good winger (Lua Lua) on the wings?

Thought Clarke looked very good at the start of last season & he apprarently played more forward passes into the box than any other player in league one the year before (at Bradford).
    Agreed yet Billy Clarke isnt back till September, nor should he be the only option in that respect

Still have Mark Marshall.
  • I doubt we would get any on that list.

Maybe Ogogo, as mentioned in the other thread. Taylor would be a good addition, as would Eaves but I can't see neither happening to be honest.

I am surprised that Lua Lua got released by Sunderland as he could be dangerous in this league. Again, as I am surprised Hammill got released by Barnsley, he has only played for one team down south and that Southampton, the others have always been further north.

Some interesting names on the list you mentioned, but I think we might have to wait until the takeover gets resolved before we know anything about potential signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• first 2 on the list will be LB & JJ......at that point RD took the pen away & sold it.
  • Why would anyone join us at this stage ?
  • our main priority amongst quite a few ideals as priorities is a goalkeeper .. it's ok to have blinding midfielders and strikers but if the keeper is 'dodgy' …. all to no avail .
  • edited June 2018

our main priority amongst quite a few ideals as priorities is a goalkeeper .. it's ok to have blinding midfielders and strikers but if the keeper is 'dodgy' …. all to no avail .

We do need to sign a goalkeeper, but I do think that Phillips is good enough for this division. Otherwise we will need to sign two keepers as it is pointless for us and for Phillips not to be playing, so if he isn't for us, he has to leave or go on loan.
  • edited June 2018

Still need a Creative Midfielder though... Else it'll be another season of lumped balls into the box from whatever wingers we have;

Agreed yet Billy Clarke isnt back till September, nor should he be the only option in that respect
    Reeves is supposed to be the other attacking midfielder option (he's not a winger in my opinion). Plus Fosu can also play the central attacking midfielder role....so that position is much better covered than say goalkeeper, left back or defensive midfielder. If Phillips, Page or Forster Caskey get injured we have no like for like replacement for those postions at all.
  • Sage said:

our main priority amongst quite a few ideals as priorities is a goalkeeper .. it's ok to have blinding midfielders and strikers but if the keeper is 'dodgy' …. all to no avail .

We do need to sign a goalkeeper, but I do think that Phillips is good enough for this division. Otherwise we will need to sign two keepers as it is pointless for us and for Phillips not to be playing, so if he isn't for us, he has to leave or go on loan.
    Under Roland, Wycombe Wanderers got ahead of us to sign Ryan Allsop on a free from Bournemouth. Another interesting free agent is Colin Doyle, but might want a big salary after failing to agree an extension at Bradford.
  • Sound good on paper
  • Does he really have targets? I would say, like every other League 1 and 2 club at this time of year, particularly ones with little or no money to spend, Charlton are inundated with lists of players from dozens of agents accompanied by CVs, Stats and video montages. I doubt if Bowyer will have heard of or seen any players he eventually signs.
  • These threads used to be what most of us were interested in.

Some more names of free agents.

Goalkeepers Sam Walker at Colchester and Lewis Price at Rotherham.

Centre back Elliott Ward has been released by Blackburn. He played with Bowyer at West Ham.

Midfielders Rohan Ince at Brighton, Jem Karacan Bolton and Anthony Wordsworth Southend.

Up front Jay Emmanuel Thomas is available on a free. He also played with Bowyer at Ipswich.
  • Does he really have targets? I would say, like every other League 1 and 2 club at this time of year, particularly ones with little or no money to spend, Charlton are inundated with lists of players from dozens of agents accompanied by CVs, Stats and video montages. I doubt if Bowyer will have heard of or seen any players he eventually signs.

Steve Gallen will have

• Sponsored links:

Steve Gallen will have

I doubt it. He will obviously play a significant role in going through the lists with Bowyer. But most of last season he will have been tracking players who are now well outside Charlton's player salary range.
  • Richard J said:

These threads used to be what most of us were interested in.

Some more names of free agents.

Goalkeepers Sam Walker at Colchester and Lewis Price at Rotherham.

Centre back Elliott Ward has been released by Blackburn. He played with Bowyer at West Ham.

Midfielders Rohan Ince at Brighton, Jem Karacan Bolton and Anthony Wordsworth Southend.

Up front Jay Emmanuel Thomas is available on a free. He also played with Bowyer at Ipswich.

John Robinson.......he played with LB at Charlton
  • I do not think this thread is going to be too popular this summer.
  • edited June 2018

Does he really have targets? I would say, like every other League 1 and 2 club at this time of year, particularly ones with little or no money to spend, Charlton are inundated with lists of players from dozens of agents accompanied by CVs, Stats and video montages. I doubt if Bowyer will have heard of or seen any players he eventually signs.

Steve Gallen will have

I doubt it. He will obviously play a significant role in going through the lists with Bowyer. But most of last season he will have been tracking players who are now well outside Charlton's player salary range.
    There is a list of targets that is not made up entirely of released players. Not sure how the glitch in the takeover will impact on that list but up until that point at least some targets would attract a fee. One in particular a considerable fee.

Expecting some signings next week.

• wmcf123 said:

Why would anyone join us at this stage ?

The only reason I can think of is because they are currently unemployed.
  • Or playing for Blackpool or coventry

Steve Gallen will have

There is a list of targets that is not made up entirely of released players. Not sure how the glitch in the takeover will impact on that list but up until that point at least some targets would attract a fee. One in particular a considerable fee.

really ??? signings next week ???? I doubt we'll see any signings before the Welling game.

Just you and everybody else thought Clarke looked very good!
  • edited June 2018

Steve Gallen will have

Considerable fee? Who might that be?