Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stan Collymore - accuses Ian Wright of being an Uncle Tom

Comments

• Options

Riviera said:

Rothko said:

He works for RT, says it all

Who is RT?
    Radio Times.

Nasty organisation.
    Never once had The Wire as pick of the week, think we all know why.
    Alt-left driven.

The readership doesn't want edgy dramas. They're more interested in The Antiques Roadshow and Crufts.
  • Options
    RT= Russia Today
  • Options
    Didn't Collymore also work for Kelvin MacKenzie?
  • Options
    Erm...can i question the big elephant in the room?

Who's Uncle Tom?

Yours
    Mr Totally innocent and naive :)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    It’s a term used by black people to describe a black person who is supposedly knowingly subservient or beholden to a white person or organisation I believe.

A very big insult.
  • Options

It’s a term used by black people to describe a black person who is supposedly knowingly subservant or beholden to a white person or organisation I believe.

A very big insult.

Correct, named in reference to a famous novel.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Rothko said:

He works for RT, says it all

What Roland Touchelet, really?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think anyone who resorts to using a public medium to deliver a significant and personal criticism or insult is likely to have a few issues .... or did I just do that
  • Options
    Addickted said:

My Uncle Tom is not happy.

He's always bought The Guardian.

Don't think Major Tom was very happy either.
  • Options

It’s a term used by black people to describe a black person who is supposedly knowingly subservient or beholden to a white person or organisation I believe.

A very big insult.

Cheers @SuedeAdidas , had absolutely no idea!
  • Options
    Robinson Tommy
  • Options
    Am amazed at comments like”I agree with some things Katie Hopkins says”. Not sure why that matters. I agree with some things the bloke who cleans my windows says, but his opinion is irrelevant. Not, however, as irrelevant as what Katie Hopkins says.
    Be careful what you wish for, Paul Elliott might be our Chairman.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Erm...can i question the big elephant in the room?

Who's Uncle Tom?

Yours
    Mr Totally innocent and naive :)

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/uncle-tom
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    DA9 said:
    What's the back story? It's unlikely this came out of nowhere.
    Still not right to post what he did though.
  • Options
    iainment said:

DA9 said:
    Not a clue
  • Options
    Collymore referenced Wright in a tweet about under representation of BAME coaches and managers. He claimed some rather outlandish things and, when Wright added his reply, Collymore went all collywobbly and called Wright an uncle Tom and a c*nt. Seemingly because Wright can act with decorum and doesn't feel the need to shout and scream and blame everyone else for his own failings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

DA9 said:
    From what I can piece together, Collymore tweeted an interview he did with the guardian talking about racism in sport and his lack of broadcasting opportunities over 10 years and implied it was due to his race, then Wrighty responded to it basically telling him to get the chip off his shoulder and to take some personal responsibility for why some of those brands won't be associated with him (so basically talking about his violent history in not so many words) that obviously then set Collymore off on his rant in response.
  • Options
    Wouldn't fancy Collymore's chances against Wright in a row in Makro's car park
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He may have a point but to cite Sol Campbell does not help his case. Campbell is as mentally unstable as Collymore and likely to run off home at half-time if the team he was managing were 3-0 down. Campbell comes out with ridiculous statement after ridiculous statement. Why would anyone employ such a egomaniac?
  • Options
    Rio Ferdinand once called Ashley Young a " Choc Ice " and it hasn't stopped him getting work in the media .
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Having read the article I find myself disagreeing about his comments relating to black pundits - he cited Jenas and Alex Scott as inoffensive, Kamara and Wright as clowns and that the only way to get on as a BAME pundit is to fall into one of those categories, but he completely fails to mention the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Ruud Gullit, Patrice Evra, Didier Drogba, Dion Dublin, our own Chris Powell - and that's just off the top of my head - who are serious, insightful and unafraid to lay out controversial opinions and all get regular work as TV pundits.

The management issue I think we all know he is right about (although also agree Campbell isn't the example i'd necessarily cite) but there is nothing controversial in him saying that as it's a point that has been made by many others before.

Since Wright is picking him up on the punditry point though and not the management one, I think I would have to agree with Wrighty on that one Collymore needs to get the chip off his shoulder.

Also for anyone suggesting Collymore was just having a bad day due to mental health issues, if that is even a valid reason to let what he said slide, that isn't bourne out in the facts because a cursory glance at Collymore's twitter feed will show you that he is sticking to what he has said a day later with multiple tweets and continued attacks.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

iainment said:

DA9 said:
    With Collymore's history of saying stupid things, beating women up and generally being a first class wally, it's very likely that this came out of nowhere.

If it didn't it will most likely be due to Wright being a very level headed individual that doesn't play the identity politics game that Collymore subscribes to. Collymore may believe that Wright shouldn't think for himself.
    Your fucking language is a fucking disgfrace!
    Your blinking language is a disgfrace disgrace too. :wink:

• Options
    Riviera said:

iainment said:

DA9 said:
    With Collymore's history of saying stupid things, beating women up and generally being a first class wally,

Your fucking language is a fucking disgfrace!
    Disgfracist!