Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: AFC Wimbledon vs Charlton

14567810»

Comments

• Options

When all players in creative positions are having a bad game, you know you've got a tactical problem.

Boom. Tic-tacs tic-tacs tic-tacs. My 2nd favourite cliché.
    Well, football is a tactical game so it's hardly ridiculous that someone might want to talk about tactics. You have such a strange aversion to there being criticism on the post-match threads when we lose. It's a discussion board, people are perfectly entitled to criticise the set up and be upset when we lose. I don't know why you always feel the need to pop up on these threads just to dig people out for not being happy about a loss.You don't need to gatekeep on the forum, we have admins. It's ok.
    Oh they're entitled to post as they wish, but I'll continue to dig out ridiculously short-sighted posts that fail to take any context into account.

The point of view that the playoffs have gone is obviously an ill-informed one, yet seems to be a majority opinion!!
  • Options
    edited April 2018

When all players in creative positions are having a bad game, you know you've got a tactical problem.

Well, football is a tactical game so it's hardly ridiculous that someone might want to talk about tactics. You have such a strange aversion to there being criticism on the post-match threads when we lose. It's a discussion board, people are perfectly entitled to criticise the set up and be upset when we lose. I don't know why you always feel the need to pop up on these threads just to dig people out for not being happy about a loss.You don't need to gatekeep on the forum, we have admins. It's ok.
    Oh they're entitled to post as they wish, but I'll continue to dig out ridiculously short-sighted posts that fail to take any context into account.

The point of view that the playoffs have gone is obviously an ill-informed one, yet seems to be a majority opinion!!
    Except what you actually did was get stuck into the 'Eeyores' who dared to suggest that losing to Wimbledon wasn't a great result followed by some weird stuff about not understanding fire.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

So you searched everywhere and couldn't find a respectful way to respond to the "ill-informed point of view" (that said nothing about the playoffs...)?

We determine the style of discourse on this site. Let's do our best to keep it friendly.
    And yes, I am interested in an actual response to my reading of the game.
    In or ill-informed as it may seem to you.
  • Options
    Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

Bring in Mick McCarthy now, instead of in the summer, now that he has left Ipswich

The football might be awful but I reckon he'd get us out of the division.
    If Robinson had stayed he might have got us out of this division.

Fourth Division football would have been a real eye-opener ...
    Short memory. We scraped the bottom of Div 1 under Slade. Robinson guided us away from the prospect of Div 2 fairly successfully.

Charlton’s long term problems will only be solved by a change of ownership, so long as new owners are ambitious.
    I thought we were in the top half when Slade left, could be wrong it’s all a blur the past 3 years anyway. Agree about the ownership obviously.
    Wikki:
    'On 14 November 2016 with the club in 15th place, the club announced that it had "parted company" with him having won 4 of the 16 games of the season.'

It wasn't just the poor results, it was the awful football that did it for me.
    Tbh, it took Karl until February to turn it round, and we started playing decent football and winning matches.
    Shame he messed it up this year, although you could argue there were extenuating circumstances. Might be better off with Bowyer anyway, but to be honest, until we get new committed owners I think any manager will have his problems.
  • Options

Patience is something that does not exist in football anymore.

If it is not going well for a manager after 10 games there are grumblings of discontent and people wanting a change and that is totally ridiculous, stability is needed(ain't that right Mr Blackpool?!).

Let's see where we are with Bowyer come the 5th May.

Simples.

Bowyer is a temporary manager who has inherited a pile of s*** from KR so It's pretty hard to judgè him other than to say we look less bad than we were.

The Wimbledon result/display was the usual Charlton bottle job - it almost seems part of the club culture now. We fold in any remotely intimidating environment and I expect the same against Portsmouth.
    Odd comment.
    I've argued in the past that our squad isn't as good as we sometimes think it is, especially in terms of 'bottle' (just an opinion, and I admit we have some good technical players), but to blame Robinson for our 'shit' squad is OTT. List the players he brought in and you list some of the better players in our squad. We win more points when we play Fosu, who is therefore probably our most important player. A KR signing. He deserves plenty of criticism, I agree, but pinning all the blame on him isn't fair.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

If it is not going well for a manager after 10 games there are grumblings of discontent and people wanting a change and that is totally ridiculous, stability is needed(ain't that right Mr Blackpool?!).

Simples.

Bowyer is a temporary manager who has inherited a pile of s*** from KR so It's pretty hard to judgè him other than to say we look less bad than we were.

The Wimbledon result/display was the usual Charlton bottle job - it almost seems part of the club culture now. We fold in any remotely intimidating environment and I expect the same against Portsmouth.
    Odd comment.
    I've argued in the past that our squad isn't as good as we sometimes think it is, especially in terms of 'bottle' (just an opinion, and I admit we have some good technical players), but to blame Robinson for our 'shit' squad is OTT. List the players he brought in and you list some of the better players in our squad. We win more points when we play Fosu, who is therefore probably our most important player. A KR signing. He deserves plenty of criticism, I agree, but pinning all the blame on him isn't fair.
    When I said a pile of shit I was referring to the situation not the squad - I obviously didn't make that clear. Bowyer inherited a mess in terms of a demoralised squad and fan base - a large part of that can be pinned on KR.

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Simples.

Odd comment.
    When I said a pile of shit I was referring to the situation not the squad - I obviously didn't make that clear. Bowyer inherited a mess in terms of a demoralised squad and fan base - a large part of that can be pinned on KR.

Maybe. But in fairness, Robinson also "inherited a mess in terms of a demoralised squad and fan base". Despite a false dawn and too much rhetoric, he proved too limited in his approach and unable to overcome the overall situation of the club.

KR wasn't the real problem. But then he eventually proved himself not to be a part of the real solution.
    And we all know what that is.

• Options

Quick work out on Fosu, Home/Away

Charlton @ home - averaged 1.71 points per game
    with Fosu its 1.87 ppg
    without Fosu its 1.33 ppg

Charlton away - averaged 1.30 points per game
    with Fosu - 1.50 ppg
    without Fosu - 1.00

So we are above average with him both home and away, and below average without him.

Mostly meaningless as it doesn't take into account other factors such as form, team and opposition but it kept me busy for 5 minutes

What about with Holmes before he was sold?
    With Holmes in squad - 1.65 points per game
    without Holmes - 1.33 points per game
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

Bring in Mick McCarthy now, instead of in the summer, now that he has left Ipswich

Short memory. We scraped the bottom of Div 1 under Slade. Robinson guided us away from the prospect of Div 2 fairly successfully.

Charlton’s long term problems will only be solved by a change of ownership, so long as new owners are ambitious.
    I thought we were in the top half when Slade left, could be wrong it’s all a blur the past 3 years anyway. Agree about the ownership obviously.
    Wikki:
    'On 14 November 2016 with the club in 15th place, the club announced that it had "parted company" with him having won 4 of the 16 games of the season.'

It wasn't just the poor results, it was the awful football that did it for me
    Tbh, it took Karl until February to turn it round, and we started playing decent football and winning matches.
    Shame he messed it up this year, although you could argue there were extenuating circumstances. Might be better off with Bowyer anyway, but to be honest, until we get new committed owners I think any manager will have his problems.
    It was also 2 days after RD was confronted in his resto with the Happy Birthday wishes which clearly rattled him.
    Co-incidence? We didn't think so at the time.
  • Options

Quick work out on Fosu, Home/Away

Charlton @ home - averaged 1.71 points per game
    with Fosu its 1.87 ppg
    without Fosu its 1.33 ppg

Charlton away - averaged 1.30 points per game
    with Fosu - 1.50 ppg
    without Fosu - 1.00

So we are above average with him both home and away, and below average without him.

Mostly meaningless as it doesn't take into account other factors such as form, team and opposition but it kept me busy for 5 minutes

What about with Holmes before he was sold?
    With Holmes in squad - 1.65 points per game
    without Holmes - 1.33 points per game
    So what's the with Holmes and Fosu vs Without Holmes and Fosu?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just Holmes - 1.14
    Just Fosu - 1.33
    Both - 1.88
    Neither - 1.33
  • Options

Just Holmes - 1.14
    Just Fosu - 1.33
    Both - 1.88
    Neither - 1.33

So we need Holmes to re-sign for us at RM, Fosu at LM.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

Wikki:

It wasn't just the poor results, it was the awful football that did it for me.
    Robinson was brought in last season to give us the best chance of the play offs. We were still in relegation trouble going into Easter thanks to the results since he took over
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    The problem we have is that we do have some very good players (in the context of League One) but the team lacks bullies and (I hate to say it) football intelligence. It frustrates when we play pass, pass, pass where it doesn't matter, almost for the sake of it when really this has to lead to openings, but that quick pass and people finding positions to receive the quick pass in dangerous positions is lacking.

If we play a team that is physically stronger than us and decent in the air, we have problems. now when you have a Ricky Holmes and a Fosu in the side, these are players who can make something happen out of nothing. But if neither are playing we have to play quick incisive balls and that is easier on a decent pitch than a bobbly Wimbledon one.

The issue is best seen as how any of us would have set up as Wimbledon manager on Tuesday. If you had asked me on Monday, it would have been pretty much as they did. That isn't because I am a tactical genius, but simply that it is about as far away from Rocket science as it can be. Yes, the squad is lacking in a type of player to match up to these teams physically but when you are 1 down and not looking like scoring maybe as a manager you should take a gamble and bring off a defender because if your opponents are crowding their own box you have to find a way to get numbers in there and quickly otherwise it is meat and drink to them. Even playing Lennon higher up as a battering ram - it probably wouldn't have worked but better than something that definitely isn't going to work.
  • Options
    Or pass,pass,pass,pass,pass,pass and pass again, get it to Page ripe for a left foot cross into the box, but instead we pass it back to Pearce, back to Bauer and then give them a goal. As Mutts says , this is L1, don't eff about.
  • Options
    I wonder, if Bowyer is still there next season, whether he will try to change the style? more a la Millwall. Its clearly successful.
  • Options

Or pass,pass,pass,pass,pass,pass and pass again, get it to Page ripe for a left foot cross into the box, but instead we pass it back to Pearce, back to Bauer and then give them a goal. As Mutts says , this is L1, don't eff about.

You don't have to be League 1 to do that, even Champions League resort to just banging the ball into the box. Juventus 3rd goal last night came from a nothing cross which the keeper spilled & RM's penalty came from a deep cross that Ronaldo headed back into the danger area.

The goal we conceded on tues was criminal, not for Bauer's mistake (because that's what happens on a wet pitch) but because we were in stoppage time & had the momentum - just lump the ball back into the box. Page shouldn't even be looking to pass it sideways let alone backwards.
  • Options
    I don't mind the passing if we have quality offensively, but our passing game seems to end in the final third most of the time! One thing I have noticed is that a few players bottle it. That is, there is a difficult ball that might open a team up of a simple ball, the mentality is generally to play the simple one. It absolves responsibility and whilst the crowd may be less likely to groan at you, I don't think this is how you win football games!

As people are saying, the mistake for the goal stemmed from us being in an attacking position in first half injury time. We played safe balls were there was no pressing but it turned out that a player slipped and let their player in. This was so needless it is unbelievable. We went backwards because the simple pass was there, but that is not the pass that will get you a goal even if it doesn't cost you one as it did on Tuesday!
  • Options
    L1 isn't the place for a passing game. Its being ideological - typical Coaching ideas that Robinson would have tried to adhere to. Shrewsbury and Wigan showed the best way to play any type of passing game in this division, but they still get it into the oppo half as quick as they can. They also have a physicality which we sadly lack. When we stormed the L1 last time we had tough nuts Morro and Cort at the back - they didn't take any prisoners,I know I've stated that CP's football was a bit turgid, but it got the job done at that level.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

L1 isn't the place for a passing game. Its being ideological - typical Coaching ideas that Robinson would have tried to adhere to. Shrewsbury and Wigan showed the best way to play any type of passing game in this division, but they still get it into the oppo half as quick as they can. They also have a physicality which we sadly lack. When we stormed the L1 last time we had tough nuts Morro and Cort at the back - they didn't take any prisoners,I know I've stated that CP's football was a bit turgid, but it got the job done at that level.

Just think what Powell might have done with the budget to buy better technical/creative players. You're not going to play exciting attacking football in the Champ with Wilson or Pritchard as your right winger. He got a lot out of what he had, something no manager has really done since for more than a few months.
  • Sponsored links: