Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Winnie Mandela RIP

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    clb74 said:

Did the maggie thatcher thread get closed

Yes. After it was privatised.
  • Options
    The MT thread was closed due to people celebrating her passing. As far as I can see, no one has celebrated WM's death yet
  • Options

The MT thread was closed due to people celebrating her passing. As far as I can see, no one has celebrated WM's death yet

That's Winnie Mandela, not Warren Mitchell
  • Options
    Shocking how someone can be so driven by social justice and become so psychopathic.

A tragedy for Nelson Mandela who strove so hard for reconciliation humanity and justice that in addition to 27 years torture and imprisonment he had to suffer the indignity of Winnie using his name to build her own very different empire.
  • Options

That's Winnie Mandela, not Warren Mitchell
    Thread should be closed Ibborg.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

This one isn't black and white (might be a better choice of phrase here, but I can't be arsed to find it).

She did an amazing amount of work against apartheid, but then subsequently backed necklacing and other horrendous practices. A character both good and bad - human, like all of us - and I will leave judgement to the South Africans.

most humans don't order the murder of others - I'd err on the side of bad...
    Most humans don't campaign like she did against systematic oppression on the basis of race.

Like I tried to point out, this is a pretty cyclical argument. I'm not familiar enough with all the nuance so I'm going leave judgement to South Africans and predominantly British white males on football forums who have a far better understanding of racial inequality than I do.
    But a great many did without ordering the murder of others...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    iainment said:

Croydon said:

Nasty bit of work. Leave it at that.

This. But people love Mandela, who despite all his good work was a convicted terrorist.
    Convicted by a state that terrorised the vast majority of it's population.

I think who the terrorists are is very clear and it certainly wasn't Mandela.
    So he didn't sanction the bombing of church street then?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

iainment said:

Croydon said:

This. But people love Mandela, who despite all his good work was a convicted terrorist.

Apparently not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    Croydon said:

iainment said:

Croydon said:

Admirably quick editing.
  • Options
    Sssoooooooooo

Would ya?

• Options
    Still open then
  • Options

Croydon said:

iainment said:

Croydon said:

Admirably quick editing.
    Knew I'd get pulled on it ;)
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options

Sssoooooooooo

Would ya?

Now or last week?
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

This one isn't black and white (might be a better choice of phrase here, but I can't be arsed to find it).

She did an amazing amount of work against apartheid, but then subsequently backed necklacing and other horrendous practices. A character both good and bad - human, like all of us - and I will leave judgement to the South Africans.

Most humans don't campaign like she did against systematic oppression on the basis of race.

Like I tried to point out, this is a pretty cyclical argument. I'm not familiar enough with all the nuance so I'm going leave judgement to South Africans and predominantly British white males on football forums who have a far better understanding of racial inequality than I do.
    But the fact remains that she was a prominent anti-apartheid campaigner.

See? Circles.
  • Options
    A mix of the great - first ever black social worker in South Africa, head girl in her school , courageous advocate of social justice , radicalised Nelson Mandela in his early days and for 30 years stood against a corrupt racist government who oppressed black people in the most barbaric of ways

And unfortunately the worst - Later in her life she behaved appallingly allegedly sanctioning murder and torture of political opponents.

Most of us , if honest are deeply flawed , though I might contend that the vast majority of us will not exemplify the courage and tenacity in face of such appalling opposition, neither will we sink so low to snuff out opponents or enemies in the way WM did

The paradox of humanity

• Options
    People on here were split over Maggie as they are on Winnie so why's this thread still open?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

People on here were split over Maggie as they are on Winnie so why's this thread still open?

Why are you so desperate to get it closed.

As stated above the Thatcher thread was closed because alot of people were laughing and saying they were glaf she died and how good it.

So far that hasnt really happened on this thread.

If you closed every thread because there is a discussion aboout if you like the person or not then pretty much every thread would be closed

BTW CLB54 if you dont like the thread instead of going on it and keep posting that it should be closed, just dont go on the thread yourself its quite simple.
  • Options
    Paulie I shouldn't have to mock someone's death or laugh for the thread to be closed.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Why are you so desperate to get it closed.

As stated above the Thatcher thread was closed because alot of people were laughing and saying they were glaf she died and how good it.

So far that hasnt really happened on this thread.

If you closed every thread because there is a discussion aboout if you like the person or not then pretty much every thread would be closed

BTW CLB54 if you dont like the thread instead of going on it and keep posting that it should be closed, just dont go on the thread yourself its quite simple.
    Not to the best of my recollection. A few.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Paulie I shouldn't have to mock someone's death or laugh for the thread to be closed.

So why are u desperate for it to be closed
  • Options

RIP

I admire your consistency.
  • Options
    Oh well, never mind.
  • Options
    Some shocking reactions on twitter from South African accounts, apparently white hatred and jealousy are the reasons why people don’t like her, I’m guessing the history books aren’t very accurate there.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

See? Circles.
    Ironic then that the victims of the kidappings and savage murders she was linked to were all black
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

See? Circles.
    Ironic then that the victims of the kidappings and savage murders she was linked to were all black
    Power corrupts people - doesn't matter what colour they are.