Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD statement 15/3/18: protests set to resume on Easter Monday (ed. cancelled)

1789101113»

Comments

• Options

I’m not sure I get why you are labouring your point @Arsenetatters . As far as I’m aware, you don’t go to games. Was you planning to change that on Monday? As it seems to me that those largely offering dissenting views had no intention of being anywhere near The Valley on Monday.

Protests for protests sake are rarely successfully and rarely maintain any longevity.

There’s arguments for and against on whether CARD were right to call a return to protests, and equally whether having done so they were right to then cancel both times. For some, whatever they do will be wrong (either through dislike of individuals or the just silly politics of other groups), others like @Covered End think they have a pretty good track of in the end ‘calling it right’. I think on balance there are many that echo what @Covered End says.

Roland has not gone but it’s clear that he is now unlikely to be a long-term likelihood on us. Things have gone too far now in terms of his detachment and Meire goIng was the final nail. If come the summer there is evidence that might change (no sale and rumour of further parties walking away) then we should all look at it again and regroup

But imo people need to start falling in love with Charlton again. The chances are the longer they leave it the less likely it is to happen.

As I said in a previous post (somewhere above!) I was planning on coming on Monday to protest.
    If we win at Northampton or at least get a point, why not come on Monday and support the team, it might cheer you up ?

(Ok it's Charlton we'll lose and you'll be miserable, but hey it's Charlton and we're not glory boys/girls).
    :smiley:
    I'll hopefully return soon. Until then it's the match thread and a wine box.
  • Options
    Any protests should be in his own back yard.

Who are we protesting against at the Valley? KM has gone, RD won’t be there, RM doesn’t always show up - no point...
  • Options
    I don't think it is there is not the support, it is because there is not the appetite when people are thinking a) the sale is imminent and b) the club can still get promoted. If all of this turns to nothing there will be great support. Duchatelet if he knows anything, will know that!
  • Options

I’m not sure I get why you are labouring your point @Arsenetatters . As far as I’m aware, you don’t go to games. Was you planning to change that on Monday? As it seems to me that those largely offering dissenting views had no intention of being anywhere near The Valley on Monday.

Protests for protests sake are rarely successfully and rarely maintain any longevity.

There’s arguments for and against on whether CARD were right to call a return to protests, and equally whether having done so they were right to then cancel both times. For some, whatever they do will be wrong (either through dislike of individuals or the just silly politics of other groups), others like @Covered End think they have a pretty good track of in the end ‘calling it right’. I think on balance there are many that echo what @Covered End says.

Roland has not gone but it’s clear that he is now unlikely to be a long-term likelihood on us. Things have gone too far now in terms of his detachment and Meire goIng was the final nail. If come the summer there is evidence that might change (no sale and rumour of further parties walking away) then we should all look at it again and regroup

But imo people need to start falling in love with Charlton again. The chances are the longer they leave it the less likely it is to happen.

As I said in a previous post (somewhere above!) I was planning on coming on Monday to protest.
    There is simply not enough people attending to mount a protest and no one to protest too as far as I can determine. It was a strange decision by CARD to propose protests in my opinion. This is a back out statement and weakly citing a one match win and a further as yet unconfirmed rumour from Airman Brown as solid ground to base that about turn on.

Wrong rationale right answer.

Hopefully it is genuinely imminent and therefore a non issue.

• Options

CARD said:

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) has withdrawn its plans to protest against the current ownership of Charlton Athletic at the Easter Monday game against Rotherham United.
    CARD said there had been significant developments since its previous announcement two weeks ago. That followed then manager Karl Robinson’s comments to the media suggesting a takeover might be delayed indefinitely.

A CARD spokesperson said: “Although we have not received the firm evidence of a takeover that we wanted, things have moved on and we no longer think it is appropriate to take action on Easter Monday.

“Karl Robinson’s departure as manager is clearly linked to the takeover, which is now being widely reported by mainstream media as imminent.

“Public and private sources suggest there is no reason to think that Duchatelet himself intends to be owner of Charlton for much longer.

“In addition, we believe the change of manager and subsequent dramatic improvement on the pitch last Saturday have revived fans’ hopes that the team could still be promoted via the play-offs.

“While we don’t respond to individual results, the team’s status next season is clearly significant to the club’s long-term future, which is our main concern. And we believe most Charlton fans would regard trying to get promoted as the immediate priority they can usefully influence."

Is it? I assumed it was because he wanted the Oxford job.
    It was because he wanted A job. I thought everyone understood that he left, so he would have a job.
    Indeed. He wanted A job, and Oxford was a great one - right on his doorstep, and without all the bollox going on at Charlton. So, IMHO, not linked to the takeover.
    It was the takeover which was going to put him out of a job though.
    Without the (up-the-road and no bollox) Oxford job coming up he wouldn't have left. His guess as to when the takeover will happen is as good as mine. If he'd stayed on he would have got a pay out if he was chucked out. Instead he chose to leave. So, IMHO, not linked to the takeover.
    He rang the Fleetwood chairman asking for the job there @Arsenetatters

Not exactly up the road.

He jumped because he knew he was unlikely to be kept on especially with his terrible record.

If the club wasn't up for sale Meire and Tarbuck would still be here.
    What's this about Fleetwood ? Wasn't aware of that before, is that widely reported elsewhere?

However, he would be gone on results come end of season even if we weren't up for sale so looking for a new role now is only option for him given any takeover of any club is often 'curtains' for the current manager. It doesn't in my view tell.us anything about the takeover.
  • Options

The interpretation on the status of the club and the transfer of its ownership is and always has been speculative.

The overriding position of the clubs financial position is likely to be unchanged.

The position of the clubs footballing position has in recent weeks been in decline. That decline was exacerbated by the uncertainty of the managers position and his increasingly frustrated troubling demeanour.

No matter the events going on behind the scenes the lack of evidence of any material progress positioned the club as drifting aimlessly to an indeterminate/ failing future.

The announcement of a protest was designed to register supporter dissatisfaction at the status quo.

The status quo has changed.

The footballing position has changed. There is a change of leadership in the clubhouse. There has been, albeit just one step, positive progress.

The speculative interpretation suggests a change of ownership is potentially nearer than previously anticipated.

CARD throughout its activity has out of respect to the players and any new managerial incumbent, be it Slade or Robinson or Bowyer, always deferred to the possibility a new leadership may bring positive progress. CARD cannot at any point been seen to directly or indirectly negatively impact that progress. It would always be a political own goal and strengthen the position of its detractors. Its cancellation of the protest at the Rotherham game is entirely consistent with that approach.

Can such a position be seen as easing any pressure on the clubs' remaining executive? Absolutely, but there are times to keep your powder dry. The target remains the same. The approach remains the same but at every opportunity care has been taken to limit the risk to the team of any friendly fire.

In the event the takeover does not progress the target will still be there. At this point a few weeks grace on balance will do no material harm.

What he said :wink:
  • Options

CARD said:

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) has withdrawn its plans to protest against the current ownership of Charlton Athletic at the Easter Monday game against Rotherham United.
    CARD said there had been significant developments since its previous announcement two weeks ago. That followed then manager Karl Robinson’s comments to the media suggesting a takeover might be delayed indefinitely.

A CARD spokesperson said: “Although we have not received the firm evidence of a takeover that we wanted, things have moved on and we no longer think it is appropriate to take action on Easter Monday.

“Karl Robinson’s departure as manager is clearly linked to the takeover, which is now being widely reported by mainstream media as imminent.

“Public and private sources suggest there is no reason to think that Duchatelet himself intends to be owner of Charlton for much longer.

“In addition, we believe the change of manager and subsequent dramatic improvement on the pitch last Saturday have revived fans’ hopes that the team could still be promoted via the play-offs.

“While we don’t respond to individual results, the team’s status next season is clearly significant to the club’s long-term future, which is our main concern. And we believe most Charlton fans would regard trying to get promoted as the immediate priority they can usefully influence."

It was because he wanted A job. I thought everyone understood that he left, so he would have a job.
    Indeed. He wanted A job, and Oxford was a great one - right on his doorstep, and without all the bollox going on at Charlton. So, IMHO, not linked to the takeover.
    Without the (up-the-road and no bollox) Oxford job coming up he wouldn't have left. His guess as to when the takeover will happen is as good as mine. If he'd stayed on he would have got a pay out if he was chucked out. Instead he chose to leave. So, IMHO, not linked to the takeover.

Not exactly up the road.

He jumped because he knew he was unlikely to be kept on especially with his terrible record.

What's this about Fleetwood ? Wasn't aware of that before, is that widely reported elsewhere?

However, he would be gone on results come end of season even if we weren't up for sale so looking for a new role now is only option for him given any takeover of any club is often 'curtains' for the current manager. It doesn't in my view tell.us anything about the takeover.
    The Fleetwood chairman told our fans in The Lib club after the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

CARD said:

Not exactly up the road.

The Fleetwood chairman told our fans in The Lib club after the game.
    And there are other sources for other calls.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

CARD said:

Takeover or no takeover he should have been sacked a few weeks ago. The dross he served up should have put him out of a job.
  • Options

How about those that want to protest at the ground on Monday go and do it

There will prob be no more than 5 people at it if you take a look at this thread alone

Whilst one game doesn’t and one win doesn’t Make a whole heap of difference

The feeling amongst the fans and the real connection that was evident to see on sat should be enough for everyone to realise that the main reason anyone attends the valley ultimately is because of the football and the brotherhood/sisterhood/LGBThood That you get get from loving a club,

Well everyone I was with and spoke too during sat for the first time in yrs felt like something returned for that 90 mins

I can’t believe that anyone who walked out of there and who loves Charlton didn’t feel it and woke up Sunday feeling like someone had pissed on your chips

I woke up Sunday feeling like I used to after a win and not like I have in the last 4 yrs with a win I hadn’t felt that Happy after a game in years and years

100% agree, but the trouble is if you weren’t at the game, then you wouldn’t have realised the change that had taken place.
  • Options
    Then they need to come along and feel it on Monday ,
  • Options

How about those that want to protest at the ground on Monday go and do it

There will prob be no more than 5 people at it if you take a look at this thread alone

Whilst one game doesn’t and one win doesn’t Make a whole heap of difference

The feeling amongst the fans and the real connection that was evident to see on sat should be enough for everyone to realise that the main reason anyone attends the valley ultimately is because of the football and the brotherhood/sisterhood/LGBThood That you get get from loving a club,

Well everyone I was with and spoke too during sat for the first time in yrs felt like something returned for that 90 mins

I can’t believe that anyone who walked out of there and who loves Charlton didn’t feel it and woke up Sunday feeling like someone had pissed on your chips

I woke up Sunday feeling like I used to after a win and not like I have in the last 4 yrs with a win I hadn’t felt that Happy after a game in years and years

Perhaps all that good feeling was because people have protested and got us to where we are now. My personal feeling is no more protests are necessary unless Roland has a change of heart and decides not to sell.
    A good result friday will see the Valley rocking on Monday but if no one had got off their arses and done something about Duchetalet i fear we would have been looking at relegation instead of a chance of the playoffs.
  • Options
    Fickle fans or desperate for a grain of hope in 4 years of utter garbage and destruction by our owner? I can’t tell.
  • Options
    that May be correct but the effectiveness of the campaign and his ownership can only be judged when the fucka has gone

We are in Lge 1 because of RD we are in the position to still be able get out in spite of RD

Now it’s down to now jacko and the players with the helping hand of the fans

When you listen to what jacko said on talkshit then too me what we as fans have to do is obvious
  • Options
    Protests will be back on once it’s announced Roland retains the valley as part of the takeover.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

CARD said:

Not exactly up the road.

If the club wasn't up for sale Mr Robinson would have been sacked in December or January ;-)
  • Options

Protests will be back on once it’s announced Roland retains the valley as part of the takeover.

Mark Goldberg and Ron Noades arrangements tells you that can't work. Only one of the above went bankrupt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounded like the atmosphere against Plymouth was really good, 100% support for the team, and renewed hope of some success on the pitch this season. I imagine Roland is holding on, just in case we get promotion, which will bump the price up a little. If the new owners are serious, then they should be able to wait a couple of months surely? No need for protests in my opinion. Roland knows he’s hated already, and everything else is out of our control. COYA!
  • Options
    Saturday felt like a landmark moment, a genuine turning point. I don’t think anybody foresaw that performance or result. Who thought Lee Bowyer would get that performance from such limited resources?

But it wasn’t just the performance. Before the game the prospect of a takeover announcement on Monday buoyed supporters and seemed to bring the fan base together - something I thought might take years to achieve. It felt like a united club once again. If the takeover is finalised this week, and we win on Friday, then Monday really will be a special day.

I think CARD have made the correct call, again, to suspend the protests. But if this takeover doesn’t happen before the end of the season, and in time to plan properly for whatever league we’re playing in next season, then I for one will be very happy to go back to Belgium to help put the pressure on.
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:

Saturday felt like a landmark moment, a genuine turning point. I don’t think anybody foresaw that performance or result. Who thought Lee Bowyer would get that performance from such limited resources?

But it wasn’t just the performance. Before the game the prospect of a takeover announcement on Monday buoyed supporters and seemed to bring the fan base together - something I thought might take years to achieve. It felt like a united club once again. If the takeover is finalised this week, and we win on Friday, then Monday really will be a special day.

I think CARD have made the correct call, again, to suspend the protests. But if this takeover doesn’t happen before the end of the season, and in time to plan properly for whatever league we’re playing in next season, then I for one will be very happy to go back to Belgium to help put the pressure on.

Or I could have just said, this.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

Sounded like the atmosphere against Plymouth was really good, 100% support for the team, and renewed hope of some success on the pitch this season. I imagine Roland is holding on, just in case we get promotion, which will bump the price up a little. If the new owners are serious, then they should be able to wait a couple of months surely? No need for protests in my opinion. Roland knows he’s hated already, and everything else is out of our control. COYA!

Does he?
    Looking at the past statements made by RD & his mouthpiece KM, I doubt it.

In his world, the protests were misogyny against KM, fomented by people the Regime had sacked.
    Attendance numbers and team performance were down because of the atmosphere (an idea which has also been promulgated “in another place”)

He has dismissed the amazing effort of getting 250+ Addicks to Sint-Truiden for last year’s march as” just a few bewildered fans” I think the quote was – and how would he know any better as he kept well clear of the event?

I agree that the place to get in his face is Belgium, but it will not happen without forward planning and commitment.
  • Options
    Apart from ROT, have any protests been planned in Belgium?

While I agree that protests at the Valley should be postponed, I do think the fight should continue in Belgium if possible.

This Takeover may never be completed even by the time the world comes to an end, at the rate it’s moving at the moment, and even the latest surge in optimism because of the managerial change giving rise to the possible “imminent “ level, may just be another redhenry red herring to get us off Duchebags back.