Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums: The Final - Revolver vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Comments

• Options

Thanks SW16 for herding these cats to some form of conclusion (even though the Blue one has gone and without it "The bed's too big, the frying Pan's too wide").
    Both are great Albums.
    Sargent Pepper wins for me, though I couldn't 'drink a case of it'...
    Cheers and Merry Christmas all

You might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri6bd4G-Aig
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

Thanks SW16 for herding these cats to some form of conclusion (even though the Blue one has gone and without it "The bed's too big, the frying Pan's too wide").
    Both are great Albums.

You might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri6bd4G-Aig</blockquote
    Thanks for that mate, I've listened to his live version a few times but never heard this one.
    Beautiful almost innocent performance to contrast with the old lady's bagful of magnetic irony...
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Both are great Albums.

You might like this:

Well he's not Joni and it's a bitter, sad love song. His version is, as you say too innocent

@LennyLowrent @PaddyP17 @bobmunro

https://youtu.be/6voJjexENok
  • Options
    Revolver
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Both are great Albums.

You might like this:

Well he's not Joni and it's a bitter, sad love song. His version is, as you say too innocent

I wrote 'almost innocent'...
    To me, he shows pain and Mitchell is made of the stuff...
    He is a guest in this song and his performance comes across as very respectful and full of love.
    I would struggle to find a more daunting musical task (popular music) then covering this song.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Both are great Albums.

You might like this:

I wrote 'almost innocent'...
    To me, he shows pain and Mitchell is made of the stuff...
    He is a guest in this song and his performance comes across as very respectful and full of love.
    I would struggle to find a more daunting musical task (popular music) then covering this song.
    It's too personal a song for Blake to have really made it "his", and I think he knows it. Stylistically it's both really rather different from Mitchell's original and also from what Blake does with most of his other stuff - which is heavily electronic.

Which I think is what helps make this a great cover - it's a really heartfelt tribute and he's taking a stylistic departure to avoid the trappings of either trying to be too original, and trying to sound too much like Joni.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

PaddyP17 said:

Both are great Albums.

You might like this:

We always used to play Joni albums backalong, but haven't played them for years - it's been so refreshing to hear this again.
    Thank you!

Going to have dust down my old Joni vinyls and give them a listen.

I listen to Joni a lot, love the lady
  • Options
    Almost forgot, it's Revolver vs Sargent Pepper.
    Only 'Fixing a hole'...
  • Options
    Revolver. My favourite album ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How lovely that, in recognition of the honour of playing drums in CL's top two albums of all time, Ringo Starr is being knighted.

Nice touch, your majesty.
  • Options
    Revolver is my personal favourite although I consider Sgt Pepper to be more innovative. It's a penalty shoot-out that never ends.
  • Options

Revolver is my personal favourite although I consider Sgt Pepper to be more innovative. It's a penalty shoot-out that never ends.

Well I hope that you thank the person for getting you into them then, otherwise you'd be listening to Electronic all your life.
  • Options

Listened again to the whole Revolver album driving home recently, I found myself wanting to skip tracks. Then listened to SPLHCB and my finger was never tempted to hover over skippy, so my vote goes to the Sarge.

This 100%. How an earlier poster thinks Peppers has more fillers is beyond me! All about opinions I suppose

• Options

Listened again to the whole Revolver album driving home recently, I found myself wanting to skip tracks. Then listened to SPLHCB and my finger was never tempted to hover over skippy, so my vote goes to the Sarge.

This 100%. How an earlier poster thinks Peppers has more fillers is beyond me! All about opinions I suppose

I find it strange that people vote for SPLHCB because it was more important, innovative, etc., instead of the one they like to listen to the most, whether that is SPLHCB or Revolver.
  • Options

I find it strange that people vote for SPLHCB because it was more important, innovative, etc., instead of the one they like to listen to the most, whether that is SPLHCB or Revolver.
    Good point. Some people take life long academic studies to reach that conclusion.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    In August, we each voted for our five favourite albums of all time, before moving on to the knock-out phase. The results of the initial round differed greatly from that of the knock-out competition (@stonemuse will be pleased):

2 Votes

(Untitled) - Led Zeppelin (1971)

Abbey Road - The Beatles (1969)

Aja - Steely Dan (1977)

Aladdin Sane - David Bowie (1973)

Appetite for Destruction - Guns & Roses (1987)

The Bends - Radiohead (1995)

Grace - Jeff Buckley (1994)

Imperial Bedroom - Elvis Costello & The Attractions (1982)

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson (1969)

The Joshua Tree - U2 (1987)

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959)

Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin (1969)

London Calling - The Clash (1979)

Low - David Bowie (1977)

Low-Life - New Order (1985)

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - The Sex Pistols (1977)

OK Computer - Radiohead (1997)

Smash - The Offspring (1994)

Tapestry - Carole King (1971)

Ten - Pearl Jam (1991)

Transformer - Lou Reed (1972)

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground and Nico (1967)

Violator - Depeche Mode (1990)

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys (2006)
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    3 Votes

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel (1970)

Exile on Main St. - The Rolling Stones (1972)

Revolver - The Beatles (1966)

Urban Hymns - The Verve (1997)

The Yes Album - Yes (1971)

4 Votes

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan (1975)

Definitely Maybe - Oasis (1994)

Rattus Norvegicus - The Stranglers (1977)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles (1967)

5 Votes

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis (1995)

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys (1966)

6 Votes

Nevermind - Nirvana (1991)

7 Votes

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac (1977)

8 Votes

Blue - Joni Mitchell (1971)

9 Votes

The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (1973)

12 Votes

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (1989)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you to Addick in SW16 for keeping us entertained with this. A great series of threads on Charlton's premier music site. That said, I am worried about what the results say for the future of Charlton Athletic - or at least Charlton Life. In isolation, I can quite accept that the favourite album is 51 years old. It's not my choice, but it's not bad. But then I see that the second favourite is 50 years old and by the same artist. This is surely saying something about our demographic. If we look right across the piece we see that the median age of the albums suggested is exactly 40 years (until tomorrow when it will spring to 41 :wink:). The spread suggests that we are a right bunch of old duffers:

< 10............0
    10-19..........1
    20-29........11
    30-39..........5
    40-49........18
    ≥ 50............5

Where are the youth? Who is going to keep supporting this club when all the ageing hippies on here are sitting in their nursing homes endlessly listening to Lovely Rita on their phonographs? I'm worried.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Thank you to Addick in SW16 for keeping us entertained with this. A great series of threads on Charlton's premier music site. That said, I am worried about what the results say for the future of Charlton Athletic - or at least Charlton Life. In isolation, I can quite accept that the favourite album is 51 years old. It's not my choice, but it's not bad. But then I see that the second favourite is 50 years old and by the same artist. This is surely saying something about our demographic. If we look right across the piece we see that the median age of the albums suggested is exactly 40 years (until tomorrow when it will spring to 41 :wink:). The spread suggests that we are a right bunch of old duffers:

< 10............0
    10-19..........1
    20-29........11
    30-39..........5
    40-49........18
    ≥ 50............5

Where are the youth? Who is going to keep supporting this club when all the ageing hippies on here are sitting in their nursing homes endlessly listening to Lovely Rita on their phonographs? I'm worried.

The initial ... and true ... winner was The Stone Roses. :wink:
  • Options
    Mainly down to the fact that there are no decent new bands around writing any decent music. When was the last "iconic" album that would still be being played in 50 years time.

Great programme shown on BBC4 a number of times over the last year called " When Albums ruled the world". In the mid 1970's albums were outselling singles and classic albms by Led Zep (4), Pink Floyd (DSOTM) Fleetwood Mac (Rumours),The Eagles (Hotel California) are still voted on the top 10 albums of all time.
  • Options
    Stig said:

< 10............0
    10-19..........1
    20-29........11
    30-39..........5
    40-49........18
    ≥ 50............5

:lol: well, I've only just turned 30, if that helps. Having said that, I think the most recent album that I voted for in my initial 5 (Surfer Rosa) was released the year after I was born. I believe the Pixies we're in the studio, recording the album on the day I was born.

There probably are some more recent artists that I'd like, but it might require a bit more digging. I remember speaking to a colleague of mine who is around my age and into similar music. She was of the opinion that new music is shit, full stop. Whilst I probably did agree to an extent, I had to remind her that two of our favourite artists, Velvet Underground and Captain Beefheart released their landmark albums without making a huge impression in the late '60s, so there may well be less commercial stuff now that is pretty cool today that we'd just have to search a little bit for.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Stig said:

< 10............0
    10-19..........1
    20-29........11
    30-39..........5
    40-49........18
    ≥ 50............5

Not sure I support the demographic argument - it predicates that music you get into at a certain age (say 15-25) stays with you all your life. It also removes the ‘quality’ measure.

My music collection spans swing, crooners, folk, rock, heavy metal, solo artists and bands spanning say a 60-70 year period (much longer if classical is included). I have always shared my music with my sons (26 and 28) and have encouraged them to share their music with me. Robert, my eldest, views The Rolling Stones as the greatest band of all time and also rates Led Zep, Floyd, Purple, Faces and The Who as all top 10. He also loves Oasis and The Stone Roses but nobody’s perfect! Danny’s favourite singer/songwriter is Dylan and he also loves Fairport Convention. Sadly neither ever got into the irresistible, beautiful, incomparable Joni.

Conclusion, it just happens that the best popular music was made in the 60s and 70s.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Conclusion, it just happens that the best popular music was made in the 60s and 70s.

The 60s and 70s were a truly innovative period in the development of rock music - and laid the foundations of the music produced today.

There's plenty of good recent music around right now - but it's not especially groundbreaking and often seems to draw inspiration from the work of legendary musicians from the 60s and 70s.

• Options
    I'm not disputing at all that the 60s and 70s were a particularly innovative period; you don't have to dig too deep to understand that there are very good social, economic and technical reasons for that. But, not one of the best forty albums in the last 20 years! That says to me that we are a bunch of old duffers.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I'm not disputing at all that the 60s and 70s were a particularly innovative period; you don't have to dig too deep to understand that there are very good social, economic and technical reasons for that. But, not one of the best forty albums in the last 20 years! That says to me that we are a bunch of old duffers.

I’m certainly not disputing that I’m an old duffer.

• Options
    Revolver.

The more revolutionary of the two. Pepper was just flashier.