Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Expressions people get wrong

Comments

• Options

Years ago I had this proper dozy lady at work, always getting sayings wrong. My favourite two were

Happy as a sandbag

Bald as a Badger.

You can't be referring to me as I know it should be 'happy as a sand boy'. However the phrase 'bald as a badger' has been used now and again in the Orchard family!

Sure this has been mentioned before but heard it used twice last week: St Pancreas instead of St Pancras. OK Pancras is a pretty unusual name but ......
  • Options
    I thought it was bald as a badger. What should it be then?
  • Options
    Bald as a coot
  • Options
    Never seen a bald badger.

Never seen a coot either, as it happens.
  • Options
    Generally instead of Genuinely
  • Options
    Heard one today at work and thought about this thread.

Don't rock the boot.
  • Options

Heard one today at work and thought about this thread.

Don't rock the boot.

Was it a jock?
    Or a Canadian.
  • Options
    "Across the piste" instead of "across the piece."

• Options
    Not exactly an expression but the man on the tannoy at London Bridge station just said "thanks very much for your corporation" instead of cooperation and it for me thinking about the amount of times I hear similar errors day to day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Expressions one bloke continually gets wrong:
    "De cloob is for sale" - liar liar pants on fire
    "The price has been agreed with the party" - means I've told him my price, he's now gone away
  • Options
    "The proof is in the pudding".

"You should get down on your hands and knees and give thanks".
  • Options
    I said, "In my EARhole"
  • Options
    No way Pedro.
  • Options
    Bonnet de douche, eh Rodney.
  • Options
    People who can’t say pacific, I mean specific, annoy me
  • Options
    Burningham
  • Options
    Reminds me of this exchange on a train full of British holidaymakers travelling through Italy many years ago.
    Spotty youth looking out of train window: "That's what we've been eating all week"
    Middle-aged man: "What, barley?"
    Youth: "Nah, it's Pascetti"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "The exception proves the rule" doesn't actually mean shit happens all the time. It originally meant a rule is perfected by ensuring it covers or excludes exceptional cases rather than the obvious ones.  Bit obtuse and doubt anyone would ever use it as intended except if you were telling the FA how to sort out the handball rule..

• Options
    All that glitters is not gold.
    That's correct isn't it?
    It should be "All that glisters is not gold " but the glitters version seems to be generally accepted now
    Glisters is not in common usage these days so glitters is probably more understandable. You could always go back to Chaucer's Hyt is not al golde that glareth which predates Shakespeare's line.
    Are you sure that wasn't Sir Alf Ramsey when he was trying not to sound common?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I thought it was bald as a badger. What should it be then?
    Bald as a coot
    Seeing as both animals have a white stripe/patch on top of the head, you can see how either could be described as bald, but 'coot' is the one I know.
  • Options
    It's a doggy dog world.
  • Options
    The i before e rule can be helpful, apart from when ... your feisty foreign neighbour Keith leisurely receives eight counterfeit beige sleighs from caffeinated atheist weightlifters.  Weird.

Unique!
  • Options
    There was a chap at work who would always inform us" that what comes down must go up".
  • Options
    Was he talking about us getting relegated from the Premier League? 
  • Options
    "Bonnet de douche"
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Bonnet de douche, eh Rodney.
    "Bonnet de douche"

Polly wants a cracker... :D