Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PAUL MORTIMER

Comments

• Options

Lots of very good memories of Morts. Could take a very good penalty too.

Um, except in the first Prem relegation season :unamused:
  • Options
    Lovely player but as Curbishley once said he was never there always injured,great shame.
  • Options

A good article on Mortimer in The South London Press

Charlton legend Paul Mortimer admits he found it really tough being forced out of football by injury all those years ago – but takes pride in having contributed so much to the game since quitting.

The midfielder, who had two spells at the Valley between 1987 and 1999, gracing the midfield in the old top-flight days, was 31 when he was forced to admit defeat because of back injury, and still remembers how terrible that felt.

“You feel powerless. Life starts again and it’s difficult to deal with, at first,” he said. “I found it mentally and emotionally difficult that I wasn’t able to quit on my own terms.

“Most people at Charlton still talk about my injuries when they see me, and it’s a shame people have that memory of me because I felt I played quite a lot of good football.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-favourite-found-it-tough-to-hand-up-his-boots-but-admits-ive-learned-there-is-more-to-life-than-football/

• Options
    Still my favourite player and yet to see anyone slide tackle better than him. Love the bloke 
  • Options
    My abiding memories of morts was the sleaky goals at Norwich in Oct 88 and Maine road (forgot what year) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Mortimer to dribbling is akin to Yann Kermorgant to winning headers.

Quite simply, I’ve never seen anyone better at it in a Charlton shirt. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

That's a really good point, we've not had many good dribblers or headers of the ball in recent times. From the last few years 

Jerome Thomas had a gorgeous first touch and was excellent with the ball at his feet, Andy Reid could carry a ball well although everything he did as classy as it was looked like it was straining every fibre in his muscles, Tony Watt also stands out. Rommedhal used to scare the piss out of defenders running with the ball probably just because of his speed he didn't have fantastic ball control but his pace and fitness were a gear above most footballers 

Headers of the ball, Darren Bent I always thought dominated centre halves and they won less than him, his technique was very solid too. Yann had perfect timing and direction but Johnnie Jackson pips it for me, his intent and aggression off set pieces makes him the best header of the ball. Something he was so underrated for and I always thought if a side just focussed on out tall players we would be a good delivery away from scoring at a corner or wide delivery into the box 
  • Options
    He will always hold a very special place in my heart, for the one and only time I have ever seen us take the absolute piss down the toolbox. In my memory he was the chief matador as spanners slid left right and centre unable to get near him and we olayed and olayed as the snow fell.
  • Options
    Certainly one of my all time favourite players.

My favourite memory of him isn’t of him scoring or dribbling effortlessly past the opposition but a feint as if he was going to volley a dropping ball in the opposition penalty area but instead he gently laid laid it off to Colin Wash to crash it home.

Those were the days: Morts and Walsh in midfield!
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Certainly one of my all time favourite players.

My favourite memory of him isn’t of him scoring or dribbling effortlessly past the opposition but a feint as if he was going to volley a dropping ball in the opposition penalty area but instead he gently laid laid it off to Colin Wash to crash it home.

Those were the days: Morts and Walsh in midfield!

Yes, midfielders who could actually score goals!!
  • Options
    Special, special player.  Used to play often at CH for the reserves, and he was more than decent there.
  • Options
    Features heavily on Lovesport radio. Quite often on Ian Stone's Comedy Breakfast Show. Also, has his own sport's show on a Sunday morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Norwich away, Highbury, Chelsea and countless others. Shame it didn’t work out for him at Villa - I like to think he was too good for them.

Scored a blinder at Everton in a night game. Pretty much the whole ground applauded it was that good. We still lost 3-2 though.
  • Options
    Vintage packed away end there 
  • Options
    Norwich away, Highbury, Chelsea and countless others. Shame it didn’t work out for him at Villa - I like to think he was too good for them.

Scored a blinder at Everton in a night game. Pretty much the whole ground applauded it was that good. We still lost 3-2 though.

Found it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFLIX140Hc

Pat Nevin’s chip here was something of beauty. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    cafctom said:

That's a really good point, we've not had many good dribblers or headers of the ball in recent times. From the last few years 

Jerome Thomas had a gorgeous first touch and was excellent with the ball at his feet, Andy Reid could carry a ball well although everything he did as classy as it was looked like it was straining every fibre in his muscles, Tony Watt also stands out. Rommedhal used to scare the piss out of defenders running with the ball probably just because of his speed he didn't have fantastic ball control but his pace and fitness were a gear above most footballers 

Headers of the ball, Darren Bent I always thought dominated centre halves and they won less than him, his technique was very solid too. Yann had perfect timing and direction but Johnnie Jackson pips it for me, his intent and aggression off set pieces makes him the best header of the ball. Something he was so underrated for and I always thought if a side just focussed on out tall players we would be a good delivery away from scoring at a corner or wide delivery into the box 
    Scotty Parker was phenomenal on the ball 
  • Options
    Got a feeling that I was there with you and Si?
  • Options
    Got a feeling that I was there with you and Si?
    Possibly , I can't remember for sure 

the crowd can't be right 16,316 , surely there was more than that there
  • Options
    edited February 2019

What he seemed to be able to do better than virtually anyone I've seen, was to be going like a train, stop dead, switch feet and roll the ball into the corner of the net.

If I listed my top 10 Charlton goals in terms of individual skill, I reckon Morts would probably scored half of them at least.

• Options

Ah, but it was rammed upstairs. Well not really......

• Options
    Carter said:
    cafctom said:

Headers of the ball, you cant type that sentence and not mention Bartlett, fck me, that geezer could time a header better than anyone Ive seen, Shearer included.