Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PAUL MORTIMER

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Goal v Norwich, thing of beauty:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V2rtxQJ9wLk

Goal v Man City
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QD09q9dV8ac

was it Morts who Ron Atkinson pulled at HT for Villa because he refused to drink a shot on the way out of the dressing room after Big Ron basically did not bother to turn up for the HT talk, left the players to it but just turned up outside with a try of shots?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    as others have said, I'm not sure what Charlton fans he's been talking to because whenever I think of Paul Mortimer I think class. that team in the 90s had so many legends in it. 
  • Options
    Absolute class player, he could at times go missing in games but I can't think of anyone since him who had the ball control he did and ability to pass a player. As someone mentioned, the slide, collect ball and up again all in one movement was phenomenal.

I can't remember the opposition, but think it was at Upton Park, he dropped back and got the ball off bolder, ran the length of the field and scored..... I may have rose tinted specs, but that's how I remember it anyway.
  • Options
    Nearest we got now is Jo Aribo , so treasure him .
  • Options
    Morts said he was racially abused at half time of a Charlton v Everton game by two other Charlton players (not named). The manager spoke to him on the Monday which Paul didn't think was right but the manager did drop one of the players for the next game.
    You'd hope that these days they'd get the sack and be prosecuted.
  • Options
    Norwich away, Highbury, Chelsea and countless others. Shame it didn’t work out for him at Villa - I like to think he was too good for them.

Scored a blinder at Everton in a night game. Pretty much the whole ground applauded it was that good. We still lost 3-2 though.

Found it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFLIX140Hc

16,000 attendance at Goodison Park.  Those were the days.
  • Options

What he seemed to be able to do better than virtually anyone I've seen, was to be going like a train, stop dead, switch feet and roll the ball into the corner of the net.

If I listed my top 10 Charlton goals in terms of individual skill, I reckon Morts would probably scored half of them at least.

Morts v Bradford is the top one, I know that much.  Anyone from a "top six" club did that, you'd never hear the end of it.
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0pGLZcIx6M

Dont remember seeing that athleticism from Mackenzie too often...
    Happy Days
  • Options
    morts was a great player. my favourite memory of him was away to millwall 2-0 up in the snow and he had the ball for ages, like a matador as their players were frantically trying to get it off him and he did drag back after drag back as they slid past him - ole ole ole - a great night, a great player 
  • Options
    Absolutely loved him .... total class... also lovely to see Robert Lee's signature move on the wing to set up Leaburns header against the post vs Everton... that team was terrific...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2019

6:43 in for Charlton game, 7:12 in for morts wonder goal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_TMktK65Px8#

• Options
    Mortimer was on TalkSport this morning talking to Tony Cascarino & Natalie Sawyer, discussion starts at about 5 mins.
    https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1641016800/1641025800/
  • Options
    But most of the conservation was about us & Conor Gallagher.
  • Options
    Cant listen to Cascarino for longer than about a minute. His voice and the way he talks I find really awkward 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Cant listen to Cascarino for longer than about a minute. His voice and the way he talks I find really awkward 
    'to be sure to be sure, it was a great craic playing for the motherland and hooking up with Andy McTownsend and John Aldridge, that Keane was a wanker though'
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    When he talks it’s like listening to my 9 year old son about 4 years ago when learning to read.  You can almost his his finger going across the page
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Gribbo said:
    When he talks it’s like listening to my 9 year old son about 4 years ago when learning to read.  You can almost his his finger going across the page
    But, but, but...he wrote a book!
    (quite a good one, in fact)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cascarino’s had a column in The Times for years but he hasn’t got a fucking clue what he’s writing about. Might as well let my cat contribute. 
  • Options
    Someone in our team really needs to start getting in the ear of referees more, especially at home. Several times now Wycombe players have jumped through Charlton players and no foul has been given. Knee in the back of Davison, who is now limping slightly, and someone wiped out a Charlton player in the build up to Hanlon’s half chance. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Someone in our team really needs to start getting in the ear of referees more, especially at home. Several times now Wycombe players have jumped through Charlton players and no foul has been given. Knee in the back of Davison, who is now limping slightly, and someone wiped out a Charlton player in the build up to Hanlon’s half chance. 
    Paul Mortimer must be fuming.
    Look, in my defence, 8am is a stupid kick off time for a fixture on New Year’s day. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Swisdom said:
    Gribbo said:
    But, but, but...he wrote a book!
    (quite a good one, in fact)

The book was written by the great Paul Kimmage, an outstanding sports writer.