Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monarch Airlines

Anyone else have a flight booked with Monarch Airlines in the next week?

Comments

• Options
    No - but got one booked for December.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Afraid so, Red, albeit in 2 weeks time though.

Our family group of 7 are travelling to Tenerife on 13th although returning with Norwegian who were the cheapest/best times for us.
  • Options
    Last time I flew Monarch was a flight up from Fuerteventura on the night of October 15th 1987 up through the Bay of Biscay.

Google that date and you will realise it may be one for the 'worst flights' thread. (Through no fault of the airline I should add!)
  • Options
    Best bit of all is we were only booked with them because we were going to Birmingham where I am doing a charity quiz for Dudley round table... Karma eh? :smirk:
  • Options
    Why? have they gone bust?
  • Options
    Yes, Monarch flight booked for next Saturday......not looking good!
  • Options

Our family group of 7 are travelling to Tenerife on 13th although returning with Norwegian who were the cheapest/best times for us.

Are you booked on the 9.30am flight from Gatwick? Or it's approx that time. We are booked on that one. Worrying now.

• Options
    Came home on Monarch Friday ......... phew!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Are you booked on the 9.30am flight from Gatwick? Or it's approx that time. We are booked on that one. Worrying now.

We're on the 9am flight out.
  • Options
    Well yes I was guessing the time so I'm booked on the same one then.
  • Options
    Yes booked for Thursday out then Sunday back. Have got a ryanair out on Thursday as well (booked monarch after ryanair issues) so waiting to see!
  • Options
    Have a flight only on 9/10 returning 12/10.

As the cost exceeds £100 I will be compensated by the credit card company if the flights are not operated and if I book quickly enough I can get new flights with Sleazy for just an extra £25 pp.

If they don't receive the certificate renewal then they could continue to operate their flights and engineering businesses but more likely they will put all their businesses into Admin and see if the Administrator can sell off parts of the business. Late summer/Autumn always the high risk time of failures in the travel biz.
  • Options
    Joshuk87 said:

Yes booked for Thursday out then Sunday back. Have got a ryanair out on Thursday as well (booked monarch after ryanair issues) so waiting to see!

out of the frying pan.........
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Now in Administration.
    Ceased trading with immediate effect.
  • Options
    My Mum is meant to be on one to Madeira this morning.
  • Options
    They were calling it the wine o'clock flight!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Due to fly in 2 weeks time :-(
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Biggest peacetime repatriation.

Information on monarch.caa.co.uk for all those unfortunate enough to be affected
  • Options
    Bummer, hope all get home or get out ok.
  • Options
    In summary, the CAA have chartered over 30 planes to bring all the 110,000 holiday makers affected - whether they are ATOL protected or not and at no cost to the passengers. They will be brought home within hours of their original flight time so they shouldn't, hopefully, have major disruption to their holidays. The first couple of flights have already landed.

Those that were on package holidays but haven't left as yet should be ATOL protected but those who just booked flights that won't have been protected will have to rely on a credit card rebate (assuming that they booked using one that is) or insurance (assuming that there aren't any exclusions).
  • Options
    The only winner in this will be Michael O'Leary as his pilot shortage will now be sorted.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for all the staff. A lot of people out of work this morning.

I Can see other flights have gone up a fair bit this morning. Will have a proper look shortly.
  • Options

The only winner in this will be Michael O'Leary as his pilot shortage will now be sorted.

No it won't at least not in short order. Ryanair fly 737s Monarch's fleet were Airbus planes. They would all need re-training on the different planes.

Very sorry for all the customers and in particular the staff at Monarch. I have used them a number of times in recent years and thought they were far and away the best budget airline.

The BBC are saying the factors that did for them were, first that they were big flyers into Turkey & Eygpt and those customers disappeared because of the local troubles. Second they switched to Spanish routes which are highly competitive and third and perhaps most importantly all their costs are in dollars/euros but the income is in GBPs. So, the plunge in the value of sterling following the Brexit vote is directly responsible.
  • Options
    Blame Brexit
  • Options

Blame Brexit

Obviously part of the problem but not all.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Blame Brexit

Obviously part of the problem but not all.
    Is it? - Monarch's most popular destinations were Turkey | Egypt | Tunisia none of which are part of the EU

All three countries have been clamped down in terms of travel since Sharm El Sheikh and the various terror issues they've had has meant that Monarch havent been able to fly there meaning people have chosen other destinations and airlines which has meant a huge loss of income for the airline, something they've obviously not recovered from

If Brexit was even remotely to blame why arent EasyJet | Thomson | Jet2 in trouble themselves?