Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• Options

Saw Quentin Blake's name trending on twitter this morning, think he might be one for this list as i immediately thought the worst when i saw it.

Will be 86 in December. Went to my old school and my youngest's current school, Chis & Sid too.
  • Options

Saw Quentin Blake's name trending on twitter this morning, think he might be one for this list as i immediately thought the worst when i saw it.

Will be 86 in December. Went to my old school and my youngest's current school, Chis & Sid too.
    You'll have @Riviera after you! A mere cub of 86!

He'll have a go at me for Neil Harvey only being 89 even though he was actually 90 in Australia at the time I posted
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Neil Harvey last surviving member of Don Bradman's 1948 'invincibles' who thrashed anything that moved when touring England.

Born 8 October 1928 so as a resident of Australia he is 90 today!

Saw him play for The Rest of the World v Old England at the Oval circa 1980 and sat in the box next to his at Lords Ashes 2013.
    Former England player and now successful Sports Management executive Neil Harvey Fairbrother was named after him.
    A welcome addition @LenGlover.
  • Options
    Leonard Fenton is 92.
    Who?
  • Options
    Not Who, Legg.
  • Options
    As rightly mentioned by @Blackheathen on another thread, Arthur Turner ought to be featured here.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Chizz said:

As rightly mentioned by @Blackheathen on another thread, Arthur Turner ought to be featured here.

Nope he isn't. To be honest if he filled the criteria he would have been on here at the beginning.
  • Options
    Robert Fyfe alias Howard from Last of The Summer Wine

born 19 June 1925
  • Options
    Hi Riviera, not wanting to stir up an unwanted discussion but exactly how did Arthur Turner not fulfil the criteria? The oldest living FA Cup final player and a Charlton player to boot. I would have thought he might be first choice on an Addicks website. Just interested, that's all.
  • Options
    Not a celebrity though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018

Hi Riviera, not wanting to stir up an unwanted discussion but exactly how did Arthur Turner not fulfil the criteria? The oldest living FA Cup final player and a Charlton player to boot. I would have thought he might be first choice on an Addicks website. Just interested, that's all.

Well as @MrOneLung said he is not a celebrity, if he was he would have been added to this thread when it first started as he would have qualified by his age. Let's be honest, how many had heard of him before his recent thread.
    This is not a CAFC nor football thread.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Robert Fyfe alias Howard from Last of The Summer Wine

born 19 June 1925

Fail. Not a celebrity, just an actor.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Well as @MrOneLung said he is not a celebrity, if he was he would have been added to this thread when it first started as he would have qualified by his age. Let's be honest, how many had heard of him before his recent thread.
    My passion for the Addicks comes as much from looking back as looking forward and I don't blame you if you don't know about Arthur.

I felt so proud reading his back stories above, including of course his service in WW11.

Perhaps there should be a seperate thread for "Legends".
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Lionel Blair born 12th December 1928.
  • Options

Oh dear.

Wait for it...........................

He's only 89

Come on @Riviera you're slacking :wink:
  • Options

Riviera said:

My passion for the Addicks comes as much from looking back as looking forward and I don't blame you if you don't know about Arthur.

I felt so proud reading his back stories above, including of course his service in WW11.

Perhaps there should be a seperate thread for "Legends"
    Indeed there should.
  • Options

Come back in a few weeks.
  • Options
    I'll hold my hand up now and say that the wrath of @Riviera will be justified as neither of these two people, even by my low standards according to Chirps, can be described as celebrities.

However these two cricketers both had the distinction of playing cricket before World War 2 one at international level and the other at first class level and I think they are worthy of a mention somewhere and this thread comes closest.

Eileen Whelan, born 30 October 1911, first played cricket for England against Australia in June 1937 and played 7 tests in all at a time test match cricket, especially for women, was a lot more infrequent than these days. In later life she was on TV in '100 Year Old Driving School' and passed her test aged 105!

JE Manners, born 25 September 1914, made his first class debut, as an amateur, for Hampshire against Gloucestershire in 1936. He was a distinguished Naval Officer away from cricket and won the Distinguished Service Cross serving in World War 2. Like Eileen Whelan he too featured in '100 Year Old Driving School.'
  • Options
    Len, the chances of these two passing the celebrity test are not promising. Had you ever heard of them by the way?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Len, the chances of these two passing the celebrity test are not promising. Had you ever heard of them by the way?

Yes because I saw '100 Year Old Driving School' but I didn't appreciate then either of their cricketing credentials particularly the fact that they had played pre World War 2.

He always tells me off anyway. I'm used to it :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

I'll hold my hand up now and say that the wrath of @Riviera will be justified as neither of these two people, even by my low standards according to Chirps, can be described as celebrities.

However these two cricketers both had the distinction of playing cricket before World War 2 one at international level and the other at first class level and I think they are worthy of a mention somewhere and this thread comes closest.

Eileen Whelan, born 30 October 1911, first played cricket for England against Australia in June 1937 and played 7 tests in all at a time test match cricket, especially for women, was a lot more infrequent than these days. In later life she was on TV in '100 Year Old Driving School' and passed her test aged 105!

JE Manners, born 25 September 1914, made his first class debut, as an amateur, for Hampshire against Gloucestershire in 1936. He was a distinguished Naval Officer away from cricket and won the Distinguished Service Cross serving in World War 2. Like Eileen Whelan he too featured in '100 Year Old Driving School.'

• Options
    That's funny (Len's not laughing though)
  • Options
    Have we had Mel Brooks?
  • Options

That's funny (Len's not laughing though)

Oh yes he is
  • Options
    Pretty sure Dr Legg actor snuffed it years ago, no?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Leonard Fenton (92) is, indeed, still alive and according to reports is due to return to Eastenders at the end of this year!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Fumbluff said:

Leonard Fenton (92) is, indeed, still alive and according to reports is due to return to Eastenders at the end of this year!
    Good on him. Some people will be relieved to learn not everything I post here is factually correct...
  • Options
    Carter said:

Have we had Mel Brooks?

Yes. Page 1, post 1.
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Was in it last and this week.
  • Options
    Has Cloris Leachman been mentioned (and does she pass the Chirpy test)?