Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• Options

Anyone got a link to the video of him doing the impression...

Don't worry found it
  • Options
    The mitigating thing here is we dont know what happened before the video started - however, Stokes may be lucky that his compatriot, Hales, was there to give 'evidence' in that respect.
    One of the strange things is that Hales and Stokes had a Twitter 'war' in August slagging each other off big style.
  • Options
    I'm assuming that whole twitter thing was "banter" rather than serious?
  • Options

I think so, but it got quite deep, and they had to call a truce.
  • Options
    P

I think so, but it got quite deep, and they had to call a truce.
    Think you're misreading that situation mate.

I read the exchange and they're basically just good mates!

I reckon that exchange was pretty tame compared to what they say to eachother in the dressing room!
  • Options
    I reckon Stokes will be remanded on bail for trial .. and Strauss et al will drop him from the tour party ..
    not an ideal solution, BUT when will sports stars learn that that too often they are targets when out in public ? .. better to keep a low profile even though that is no fun for a young man in his pomp
  • Options
    Gotta love the PR spin coming out that Stokes was defending a couple of gay guys from homophobic attack - pure genius.

To be fair, they could have upped the ante and said Stokes was defending a gay, Muslim couple from a pair of Islamaphobic homophobes - that would have been a cracker.

As for that utter, utter wanker Ian Botham having the sheer nerve to have a crack at Ben Stokes after what he used to get up to in his playing days - even when captain - the term Chutzpah barely covers it.
  • Options
    Stokes is quite clearly a moron. Seems the way for our best players... KP for example
  • Options

Gotta love the PR spin coming out that Stokes was defending a couple of gay guys from homophobic attack - pure genius.

To be fair, they could have upped the ante and said Stokes was defending a gay, Muslim couple from a pair of Islamaphobic homophobes - that would have been a cracker.

As for that utter, utter wanker Ian Botham having the sheer nerve to have a crack at Ben Stokes after what he used to get up to in his playing days - even when captain - the term Chutzpah barely covers it.

I don't recall Beefy getting into a fight & flooring someone at 2.30am. I thought the worst he did was smoked a bit of weed & played away in his hotel room.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Botham was involved in quite a few scrapes.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I don't recall Beefy getting into a fight & flooring someone at 2.30am. I thought the worst he did was smoked a bit of weed & played away in his hotel room.
    Charged with common assault in England and Australia.

Had punch up outside Scunthorpe night club in 1982 - was charged and went to trial - nearly missed a Windies tour.

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/england-cricketer-ian-botham-with-his-solicitor-mr-allan-news-photo/805665738?#england-cricketer-ian-botham-with-his-solicitor-mr-allan-hurd-at-picture-id805665738

The man is a fucking hypocrite of the highest order.
  • Options
    Bump as its now next months Ashes.
    First Test starts in Brisbane on 23rd November.
  • Options
    Ben stokes is so crucial I think the series is over if he can't play.

The team I expect for 1st test:
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

Lot of weak links in that batting line up and a seamer short. An all rounder like Stokes cannot be replaced as you need a batsman at 6 and then a 4th seamer too.
  • Options

Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

Lot of weak links in that batting line up and a seamer short. An all rounder like Stokes cannot be replaced as you need a batsman at 6 and then a 4th seamer too.

They wont go in, especially in oz, with 4 bowlers.
  • Options

Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

What's your prediction then Pres? The problem with going with 5 bowlers (without Stokes) is that it leaves our batting short, especially with the question marks hanging over them. I guess they could go Woakes 8 and Overton 9 which is still useful enough.
  • Options
    I think we've got a strange, 50/50 squad. Half the squad are world class; half not really Test standard. Most years, if we went into a series with the world class players we have, we'd be assuming an easy victory. But it's the lesser players that bring the optimism down.

Without question, England have seven world class players from which to choose. Joe Root, probably the best batsman in the world right now; Alastair Cook, England's most prolific batsman ever; Jonny Bairstow, with de Villiers, the joint-best wicketkeeper batsman in the world; repeated match-winner Moeen Ali (among all his tremendous feats this year, let's not forget he passed 2,000 runs and 100 wickets - on the same day!); Ben Stokes, surely among the candidates for the title of best cricketer in the world; and Broad and Anderson who have 171 Ashes wickets between them.

The problem is not how good the god players are; it's how much their efficacy is reduced by the others in the team. So, assuming Woakes is picked, England have to go into each Test with four out of Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Mark Stoneman and James Vince.

The question isn't "are England good enough?" It's "can the weaknesses be patched up?" So far, since Joe Root has taken over, the answer has been a clear - if inconsistent - yes.

If Stokes plays, the best players stay fit and the "others" can raise their game, England will win the Ashes.
  • Options

Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

What's your prediction then Pres? The problem with going with 5 bowlers (without Stokes) is that it leaves our batting short, especially with the question marks hanging over them. I guess they could go Woakes 8 and Overton 9 which is still useful enough.
    Well, for starters, Stokes will get either a warning , or a hearing that will take place after he comes back from Oz...so,

Cook
    Stoneman
    Bairstow
    Root
    Malan
    Stokes
    Ali
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Broad
    Jimmy

With Overton and Ballance as the two to step into the breach should there be any issue with a bowler or batter.
  • Options
    Irrespective of his present off pitch problems one wonders how reliable, or perhaps durable is the better word, Stokes will be as a bowler on hard, unforgiving Australian pitches given that he apparently has a dodgy knee.
  • Options
    From the squad selected, I would go for

Cook
    Stoneman
    Ballance
    Root
    Malan
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

If Australia can compete with a team that has four top class all-rounders (Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen and Woakes); a five-man attack, including three with more than 100 wickets each and England's top two bowlers ever; the calm of Cook; the ebullience of Root; and the confidence of a captain who has won every series he's been charged with; then, good luck to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Irrespective of his present off pitch problems one wonders how reliable, or perhaps durable is the better word, Stokes will be as a bowler on hard, unforgiving Australian pitches given that he apparently has a dodgy knee.

Good job he knows how to protect it and doesn't get involved in anything that is likely to aggravate it then.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    No way Stokes will be touring - regardless of the criminal action that may be brought against Stokes the fact is Strauss is a very conservative bloke and will be absolutely appalled at what Stokes did.

The ECB will have to send a very, very clear message on this or they will be putting themselves in a dangerous position in the future.

How can they discipline any player in the future if Stokes gets off this scot-free so he can play in the Ashes? Imagine what the likes of KP would say, he got binned just for being a bit of an arsehole!

Let's be quite clear on this, Stokes is incredibly lucky not to be up on a manslaughter charge, plenty of people have died from being laid out in the street like that and he may still face very serious criminal charges.

Once again it is proven that - just like the old Rugby League coach Jack Gibson used to say to his players when warning them about getting into trouble in Sydney, "Nothing good ever happens after midnight."
  • Options

No way Stokes will be touring - regardless of the criminal action that may be brought against Stokes the fact is Strauss is a very conservative bloke and will be absolutely appalled at what Stokes did.

The ECB will have to send a very, very clear message on this or they will be putting themselves in a dangerous position in the future.

How can they discipline any player in the future if Stokes gets off this scot-free so he can play in the Ashes? Imagine what the likes of KP would say, he got binned just for being a bit of an arsehole!

Let's be quite clear on this, Stokes is incredibly lucky not to be up on a manslaughter charge, plenty of people have died from being laid out in the street like that and he may still face very serious criminal charges.

Once again it is proven that - just like the old Rugby League coach Jack Gibson used to say to his players when warning them about getting into trouble in Sydney, "Nothing good ever happens after midnight."

I don't disagree actually mate, but the thing that may go in Stokes favour is the fact that if its a police matter, then the ECB could possibly wait until their case is closed before making a decision. Decisions like that of Pietersen were purely internal.

I would hazard a guess he won't travel though, if released on bail he may not even be allowed to leave the country anyway.
  • Options

I don't disagree actually mate, but the thing that may go in Stokes favour is the fact that if its a police matter, then the ECB could possibly wait until their case is closed before making a decision. Decisions like that of Pietersen were purely internal.

I would hazard a guess he won't travel though, if released on bail he may not even be allowed to leave the country anyway.
    He may get lucky and the bloke he laid out may choose not to press charges - I am not sure where that leaves Bristol Police though, could they still press charges anyway?

Interestingly I was at a party last night and met a Kiwi bloke who played Rugby League with Ben Stokes's Dad in New Zealand in the 80s - he described the old man as "an absolute fucking lunatic."
  • Options

He may get lucky and the bloke he laid out may choose not to press charges - I am not sure where that leaves Bristol Police though, could they still press charges anyway?

Interestingly I was at a party last night and met a Kiwi bloke who played Rugby League with Ben Stokes's Dad in New Zealand in the 80s - he described the old man as "an absolute fucking lunatic."
    And Dad wrote to the ECB thanking them for sending Stokes home from the Lions tour - a case of "do as I say" and not "do as I did".
  • Options
    Lions squad announced to shadow the full team...

England Lions squad for Australia: Dom Bess (Somerset), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Paul Coughlin (Durham/Nottinghamshire), Alex Davies (Lancashire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), George Garton (Sussex), Nick Gubbins (Middlesex), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Keaton Jennings (Durham/Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Mark Wood (Durham).
  • Options
    can someone please advise what Garton,Helm,Bess do as they are new names for me.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Disgrace that Burns gets overlooked once again. Right at the top of the run scorer and averages this year but can't even get in the lions squad.

If want him in Aus for if things go wrong we have players there ready for a call up.

Same with Robson, Rashid, Plunkett, Northeast, Curran and others.

Joke selection. This squad should be about the next best 20 or so players ready for when things go wrong.
  • Options

can someone please advise what Garton,Helm,Bess do as they are new names for me.

my mate is a big Middlesex fan and he is excited by Helm.Says he gets good pace and bounce. He has been on Englands radar I believe for the last few months and I believe he has done pretty well for the Lions so far, although I think his limited overs bowling has been better than in the longer format.
  • Options
    I think this is a good tour to have missed out on.