Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My away day at Gillingham on Saturday

Comments

• Options
    satsuma27 said:

I heard one moron, who looked like he'd had a few lines of coke to go with his beer, giving Jonny Jackson all the abuse under the sun. "Jackson you useless cunt, we've paid a lot of money for this shit, you useless cunt" were his exact words. JJ didn't set foot on the pitch ffs. Come armageddon, come armageddon come.

Sorry about that.
  • Options

I haven't read the whole thread so I may be repeating something, maybe not - Swisdom, were you around in the 70s - 80s ? Behaviour in football grounds has improved beyond belief since those days. I would be more surprised if I went to a game and heard no swearing.

I was there for "Battle of the Bridge" but with all the madness and violence from the Chelsea fans, there was little coming from the Charlton fans.
    Err, the Chelsea fans that were in our end got a bit of a hiding.
    In the circumstances "acceptable" self defence. It wasn't us starting it though, or provoking them

• Options
    I can't wait for the days until we play Palace and Millwall again , at least that will bring out the sensible people in our support.
  • Options

HandG said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Maybe im getting old, or just not a moron?

Lucky you, last time I was in front of the flare lighters (Walsall away last year) the boys in blue decided to pull me out for it!

I believe over the past few years a new group of 'herberts' has attached themselves to the club, 50-60 of them. Predominantly at away games and Mick E is slowly eking them out.

I do take my daughters, all be it they are 14 & 17 now so not as if they haven't heard the words before, although the wife refuses to come anymore (not that she's a football fan anyway, normally misses the goals as reading her kindle :blush: ).

I agree with the OP, you go to football and you do expect to hear strong language, but it's language for the sake of it in the last few years and giving pelters to our own players often for little or no reason. For me it's not so much the words but the aggressive nature of it.

I can remember going season after season to almost every away game in the early 90's, plenty of language and loads of banter but never anywhere near as bad as the aggressive nature you hear it the last few years. Northampton last year springs to mind, hardly a local derby.
    It's because no-one takes ecstacy anymore like they did in the early 90s!! :smiley:
    I couldn't imagine anything worse than coming up during a football game
    I took one on the coach on the way to Newcastle for the 4 3 game, just as we stopped at Catterick for a beer. Had another half just as we got to the ground and left the other half for when we got back on after the game. Was a great day out all round
    I'm not gonna lie. That's the best thing I've read on this thread in the 7 years I've been a member

So essentially you're sort of coming down as you get back to London
    Pretty much, felt a bit ropey as we got back to Bexleyheath. I must have been going ballistic when we scored our winner, I remember a woman tapping her husband/partner and pointing at me and laughing.
    If we can get the numbers, I'd be right up for an away game where we all get on the pills on the coach and generally have a lovely time. It might even cheer up some of the angry young chaps who follow us these days.
    Would love to but I'll be 50 before too long and it would probably kill me.
    This is true. I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance the other week when you were running for the train.
    Come and play football with us on Sunday evening, we'll soon see who'll be blowing out their arse first!
    As well as Dicky talking out of it.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Why does every thread on CL always end up including cocaine and Annie Lennox???

It was Annie Lennox and ecstasy
  • Options
    I don't buy into this argument that dropping the c-bomb into common usage is not a problem nor offensive because it's just a 'word'. We wouldn't tolerate lots of things being said in everyday situations would we? No one would get a job if they dropped it an interview situation nor would it be appropriate to use when meeting you partners family for the first time for sure. Would it..?

We would not tolerate someone calling one of our players a paedo would we? That's just a word too...but it's highly offensive because of the intent behind it and what it represents.

Then again I have the sensibilities of an aging spinster according to some posters on this site...
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Why does every thread on CL always end up including cocaine and Annie Lennox???

It was ecstasy, not cocaine!

There is a difference:

Ecstasy - when I was young, had long hair and was skint
    Cocaine - Now, I am older, bald and more stressed!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

HandG said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Maybe im getting old, or just not a moron?

Lucky you, last time I was in front of the flare lighters (Walsall away last year) the boys in blue decided to pull me out for it!

I believe over the past few years a new group of 'herberts' has attached themselves to the club, 50-60 of them. Predominantly at away games and Mick E is slowly eking them out.

I do take my daughters, all be it they are 14 & 17 now so not as if they haven't heard the words before, although the wife refuses to come anymore (not that she's a football fan anyway, normally misses the goals as reading her kindle :blush: ).

I agree with the OP, you go to football and you do expect to hear strong language, but it's language for the sake of it in the last few years and giving pelters to our own players often for little or no reason. For me it's not so much the words but the aggressive nature of it.

I can remember going season after season to almost every away game in the early 90's, plenty of language and loads of banter but never anywhere near as bad as the aggressive nature you hear it the last few years. Northampton last year springs to mind, hardly a local derby.
    It's because no-one takes ecstacy anymore like they did in the early 90s!! :smiley:
    I couldn't imagine anything worse than coming up during a football game
    I took one on the coach on the way to Newcastle for the 4 3 game, just as we stopped at Catterick for a beer. Had another half just as we got to the ground and left the other half for when we got back on after the game. Was a great day out all round
    I'm not gonna lie. That's the best thing I've read on this thread in the 7 years I've been a member

So essentially you're sort of coming down as you get back to London
    Pretty much, felt a bit ropey as we got back to Bexleyheath. I must have been going ballistic when we scored our winner, I remember a woman tapping her husband/partner and pointing at me and laughing.
    If we can get the numbers, I'd be right up for an away game where we all get on the pills on the coach and generally have a lovely time. It might even cheer up some of the angry young chaps who follow us these days.
    Would love to but I'll be 50 before too long and it would probably kill me.
    This is true. I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance the other week when you were running for the train.
    Come and play football with us on Sunday evening, we'll soon see who'll be blowing out their arse first!
    As well as Dicky talking out of it.
    Can it little legs.
  • Options

Proper weird calling any of our players c***s.

Agreed! I'd swear at them (''WTF was that insertnamehere?!'' etc) but calling them a c*** or anything else strong is a bit too far. If they're wearing red and blue stripy pjs though...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    EastStand said:

Agreed! I'd swear at them (''WTF was that insertnamehere?!'' etc) but calling them a c*** or anything else strong is a bit too far. If they're wearing red and blue stripy pjs though...
    Agreed at least get the word useless in as well.
  • Options

EastStand said:

Hello Dicky, no internet connection in Seville?
  • Options

EastStand said:

Hello Dicky, no internet connection in Seville?
    I dunno mate, I went to Bilbao.
    F***** me there Dicky.
  • Options
    I gave you a lol for that.

• Options

I gave you a lol for that.

Makes a change you derailing a thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agim said:

What I can't stand is the stone Island wearing 50 year old, with gear dribbling out of his nose thinking he's the hardest bloke in the world because he can shout big boys words. Add to this the newly turned 18 year old who had a fight in zens the night before and now thinks he can take on the world, set off a smoke bomb and abuse everyone within 5 mile radius. This is not cool and quite frankly embarrassing at times but each to their own.

I stopped taking my kids to away games after a Reading match a couple of seasons ago and don't even bother going away myself now. Too many 'football factory watching' knuckle dragging types follow our club to away games. I was spending more time keeping an eye on those types kicking off around me than watching the games. Funniest thing is that they would even know how to spell hard.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever talked to the club about this? I wonder if they are allowed to sell away tickets in

agim said:

What I can't stand is the stone Island wearing 50 year old, with gear dribbling out of his nose thinking he's the hardest bloke in the world because he can shout big boys words. Add to this the newly turned 18 year old who had a fight in zens the night before and now thinks he can take on the world, set off a smoke bomb and abuse everyone within 5 mile radius. This is not cool and quite frankly embarrassing at times but each to their own.

I stopped taking my kids to away games after a Reading match a couple of seasons ago and don't even bother going away myself now. Too many 'football factory watching' knuckle dragging types follow our club to away games. I was spending more time keeping an eye on those types kicking off around me than watching the games. Funniest thing is that they would even know how to spell hard.
    Was that Reading game in the Bob Peters era? I think we won 1-0
  • Options
    It all depends on the emphasis placed on the the T

If the T was not overly pronounced at the end of the sentence then it was a term of endearment

However if it was you c..T !!! Then they were angry

But let's not call our own fans scum
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    When we lose to Gillingham they are all C##tTs all of them every single one of them

doesn't mean that by 1710 and the blood has stopped pumping around the veins they still are c##nts

but yep at full time they are all c##nts to a man and KM to a woman

See how easy it is to use it three times and only in one sentence did I mean it in an angry way the rest of the time it's endearing
  • Options
    I think I know what your getting at NLA.
    Bit like when people say "he is one funny c**t"
  • Options
    Yep that's it ,we should embrace the word it's part of our STH London heritage
  • Options
    Not a word I use, but often wondered why this particular word is deemed so offensive compared to all the other slang words for a vigina.
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:

I heard one moron, who looked like he'd had a few lines of coke to go with his beer, giving Jonny Jackson all the abuse under the sun. "Jackson you useless cunt, we've paid a lot of money for this shit, you useless cunt" were his exact words. JJ didn't set foot on the pitch ffs. Come armageddon, come armageddon come.

Everyday is like Sunday
  • Options

kafka said:

DA9 said:

Wouldn't take my little boy to Palarase & Smallwall (home or away) or gills away
    I know who it attracts and what will happen, always does, always will

Didn't used to though. I agree with you, won't go to local away games now as our support has become just like everything I used to hate about Millwall's.
    I'm afraid it did used to. About 45 years ago in the Kent cup Gillingham was left looking like Aleppo and the train back was dismantled by the time it got to Charlton.
    Ha yes I remember that well :smile:
  • Options

clb74 said:

kafka said:

DA9 said:

Wouldn't take my little boy to Palarase & Smallwall (home or away) or gills away
    I know who it attracts and what will happen, always does, always will

Didn't used to though. I agree with you, won't go to local away games now as our support has become just like everything I used to hate about Millwall's.
    I'm afraid it did used to. About 45 years ago in the Kent cup Gillingham was left looking like Aleppo and the train back was dismantled by the time it got to Charlton.
    Did you use the word c@nt though
    I believe the term in 1962 was "lady garden"
    Heyyyyy douchbag ooh ahh I wanna knowwwohoh why you're such a lady garden .............. you can see why they don't use that term anymore can't you.