Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My away day at Gillingham on Saturday

Comments

• Options
    It would appear we are facing a fine over the Smokey things thrown onto the pitch.
  • Options
    I get some want to stand, but go to the back. Ruined my day out as I missed most of the game. I asked a steward if he could ask those standing at the front to sit down or move and he just said you do it. I said why? It is your job, but he just wandered off. A disabled guy in a wheelchair gave up. Just a bit of consideration required chaps.
  • Options

bellz2002 said:

To be honest I complete agree with @Swisdom . I wouldn't take my kids (when I have them eventually) to any away games for the reasons given.
    It's a massive shame and let's be honest here, there is no need for all of that language especially with kids around. I'll quite happily label people throwing smoke bombs and flares as morons as are those using the c word in front of kids.
    I know I will get pelters but hey, that's fine. Nothing wrong with getting drunk and having fun but there must be a line surely.

Where's that tin hat?

I may be wrong and if so I apologise in advance, but I got the distinct feeling you were supportive of the Cologne fans behaviour ?

I didn't see Charlton fans throwing bottles around town, attacking stewards, trying to break into the ground, even though there were hundreds outside after kick off and nor did they try and invade the home ends. #justsaying.

NB Anyone taking little kids to an away derby game is somewhat naive/out of touch.

I would never have taken my little 'uns to a derby game apart from say Watford, Orient, Brentford or Barnet (obviously).
    No you were quite right but was meaning the majority of them who were peaceful but loud. Definitely do not condone anyone trying to attack stewards, throwing bottles, invading home ends with force etc.
  • Options
    For games like this (admittedly there's probably only 2 a season at most) there must be a way to sort things out so older people can get to see the game without having to stand the whole way through. What do you do if you're an older fan of clubs like Leeds, Newcastle and Man U who sell out and stand for 90 minutes at every single away game?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

It's not as if Charlton is Beverly Hills

My all time fave from a couple seasons ago was when the Burnley fans were chanting "Charltons a sh*thole, I wanna go home.."

...Burnley fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How's that filter going? :wink:

Exactly it appears to be failing , must be full up at your ground and we catching the overflow, I'm just hoping it's a case of when in Rome for these divs who turn up at Gills and Zampa farm
    It was quite full on Saturday but still plenty of room for the lesser of the other 22 cup finals we've got this season.

I think it all stems from this generation of fans, particularly the youngsters, being a lot less forgiving/patient than we used to be.
    Hmm. First time I went to the old Toolbox was actually as a neutral, dragged there by a Millwall supporting schoolmate. It was a nothing game, we were standing on a half empty terrace on one side of the pitch.

There was a bloke behind me with his mate. Mid 30's, not at all drunk as far as i could tell. He had only one observation to make about the unfolding goalless draw, but he repeated it, I reckon, 50 times. Therefore I can remember it like it was yesterday, as a 15 year old, your brain is quick to absorb repetition. His observation was

"Whassa facking marrer wi' you, ref? You're a fackin' W---ER!" (emphasis on the final word)

That would be 47 years ago...

• Options

Exactly it appears to be failing , must be full up at your ground and we catching the overflow, I'm just hoping it's a case of when in Rome for these divs who turn up at Gills and Zampa farm
    It was quite full on Saturday but still plenty of room for the lesser of the other 22 cup finals we've got this season.

I think it all stems from this generation of fans, particularly the youngsters, being a lot less forgiving/patient than we used to be.
    Hmm. First time I went to the old Toolbox was actually as a neutral, dragged there by a Millwall supporting schoolmate. It was a nothing game, we were standing on a half empty terrace on one side of the pitch.

There was a bloke behind me with his mate. Mid 30's, not at all drunk as far as i could tell. He had only one observation to make about the unfolding goalless draw, but he repeated it, I reckon, 50 times. Therefore I can remember it like it was yesterday, as a 15 year old, your brain is quick to absorb repetition. His observation was

"Whassa facking marrer wi' you, ref? You're a fackin' W---ER!" (emphasis on the final word)

You are the Same age as me Prague.
    The golden generation of Charlton fans.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

My all time fave from a couple seasons ago was when the Burnley fans were chanting "Charltons a sh*thole, I wanna go home.."

...Burnley fans.
    Tbf I've heard us sing that at Fulham. Presumably Abbey Wood is a lot nicer than Fulham.
  • Options

now it's only the players who shout that sort of thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    colthe3rd said:

CAFCTrev said:

...Burnley fans.
    Tbf I've heard us sing that at Fulham. Presumably Abbey Wood is a lot nicer than Fulham.
    Depends which side of the railway line we're talking about................on second thoughts scrap that :wink: .
  • Options

My daughter was party to some colourful language at Welling on Saturday. Wasn't sure if she was taking notice or not but when she got home she said to my wife "mummy, there were some men standing behind us and I think they were swearing"

Remind me not to invite Cardinal Sin again.
  • Options

You are the Same age as me Prague.
    The golden generation of Charlton fans.
    Me to, and can't remember ever getting drunk, swearing and getting arrested..
    Erm yes me too:)
  • Options

I shan't go to Gillingham again. Nothing to do with the football, either.

A lady in her 70s in the row behind me had a neanderthal stand in the seat in front of her. ( Notice, I say "stand") When she asked him, very politely to sit down because she couldn't see, he told her to stand up, like him. He had not the slightest interest in her age, or any infirmity she may have had. Every second word he then shouted was"f***ing", and every fourth was "c***". As in "You f***ing pikey c***!" I was hit in the head 4 times by the person standing behind me. I am 60, with cancer, and bad knees. When I turned round and confronted him, he blamed me for leaning back in my seat too far.

If, as a Charlton fan, I am going to be treated like that by someone who, supposedly, supports the same team as me, I'd rather not go to away games...

This post says it all for me.

To use the language they love and understand selfish, ignorant c****!
  • Options

In other words, no different to what we heard in the Covered End at that time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was it Trevor Kettle's first game?
  • Options
    Wouldn't take my little boy to Palarase & Smallwall (home or away) or gills away
    I know who it attracts and what will happen, always does, always will
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Wouldn't take my little boy to Palarase & Smallwall (home or away) or gills away
    I know who it attracts and what will happen, always does, always will

Didn't used to though. I agree with you, won't go to local away games now as our support has become just like everything I used to hate about Millwall's.
  • Options
    It all sounds like a good day out to me
  • Options
    I disagree with most though.
    As far as I'm aware you can get thrown out the ground for foul and abusive language and I don't think your allowed to stand all game in an all seater stadium.
    F#ck me walking down to the stadium Saturday a couple of bottles were thrown.
    Would just like to ask them who were you throwing them at one nearly hit a car not sure about the other bottle , there were only charlton fans and cars in the road