Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Numbers said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Numbers said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The plan was to stick to the 3:30 runners then kick on at 20. Instead I raced off at the start and got a quad strain at 20 which led to a very, very long 6 mile Trek between jogging and walking.

Finished in 4:08 losing over 40 minutes off my projected finishing time of 3:25.

Two weeks RICE and stretching to be ready for London.

Total distance was nearly 27 miles at 26.78!
    Well done with a respectable time, a real shame you had problems as I'm sure you'd have achieved your aim.
    How are you now, are you able to do London tomorrow?
    I will make sure I get round, but won't expect a great time as I expect the strain won't have fully recovered and could go again at any time.

It's for charity so won't miss it. I can't afford the time to train next year, so it's this year or bust. 

Under 5 I'll be happy enough, under 4 I'll be ecstatic, under 3:30 isn't going to happen but I'd be speechless and absolutely made up.

Good luck whatever happens, time is not important, respect for even trying 
    So numbers aren’t important numbers?
  • Options
    Nerves are playing silly buggers this morning... Up two hours early and can't sleep. 

If anyone out there wants to drop a final donation as I take on London in just under 6hrs the link is 

www.justgiving.com/2in2

Many thanks and hope to see some addicks out there supporting.
  • Options
    40-secs behind the Pb today. 
    It seems my pizza and sofa training methods may need some tweakage. 
    Lovely morning though 👍🏻
  • Options
    Nice and bright, bit of a cold wind... 26.40 not bad considering I was held for a couple of hours at Liverpool Street while they scraped someone off the tracks in Romford... I was forced to while away the time in the wetherspoons, then carried on drinking when I got home
  • Options
    40:50 today and that's ok. Seem to be doing that time easily now and have moved away from the 42/43 min runs, Running better with a longer stride (all this is relative by the way). 
     Absolutely perfect conditions today, ground very firm under foot. I had no issues with either breathing or stiff legs, to be honest I should have done a lot better. Need to push myself a bit more. 
     Well done @AFKABartram, getting very close to being back to your best.  

• Options
    I ended 9secs off my PB. Was gutted as I went all in and thought I may have dipped under. Have been running consistently and had the perfect prep week with a long run Monday, fast short run Thursday and no booze so kind of feel I’m close to my limits time wise with this. 

Hugely enjoyable though. Only know a couple of people who do Avery Hill but seeing the same faces and marshalls is now turning into a part of my week I really enjoy. And in terms of mental well-being, a really nice routine staple.
  • Options
    Made it back after two months or so off with a leg op and then damaged ankle ligaments (sustained playing football as soon as I'd recovered from the op...doh!)... Loved it at Danson this morning...ended up within 30 secs of my course best (today was just under 25 mins, when I was aiming for 28), which, given that I've done nothing for a couple of months (plus a few beers and a late night easter egg last night), left me feeling very good (and my ankle didn't collapse...hurrah)..  Overtaken halfway round by a tall bloke in a CAFC shirt...gave him credit for the shirt.. :-)  Looking fwd to next week already...
  • Options
    Made it back after two months or so off with a leg op and then damaged ankle ligaments (sustained playing football as soon as I'd recovered from the op...doh!)... Loved it at Danson this morning...ended up within 30 secs of my course best (today was just under 25 mins, when I was aiming for 28), which, given that I've done nothing for a couple of months (plus a few beers and a late night easter egg last night), left me feeling very good (and my ankle didn't collapse...hurrah)..  Overtaken halfway round by a tall bloke in a CAFC shirt...gave him credit for the shirt.. :-)  Looking fwd to next week already...
    Must have been me. I finished in 24:41. It was my first time in Danson Park. Absolutely fantastic place to run. Good luck for next week.
  • Options
    If you awake and reading this then you’ve just over an hour to print out your barcode and get yourself to Danson, Avery Hill or wherever your local Parkrun is. 

No no better way to start the weekend. Good luck!
  • Options
    Won’t be at Parkrun till next school holidays, but ran 29:23 for 5k yesterday, so going after that PR when I do! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you awake and reading this then you’ve just over an hour to print out your barcode and get yourself to Danson, Avery Hill or wherever your local Parkrun is. 

No no better way to start the weekend. Good luck!
    You’ll see Dec there. Fingers crossed for the predicted 9am rain. 

I’m off to the Mary Quant exhibition with my mum. 
  • Options
    I left home on a lovely spring morning, drove to parkrun, parked up and the Heavens opened. 
    I was not dressed/prepared for that so I’m afraid I cried off😞🌧
  • Options
    You know your skin is waterproof right?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You know your skin is waterproof right?
    Not my foot skin
  • Options
    Just under 27 min, not bad as the course was changed so there was more grass and the big hill was right at the end. Getting on the booze and fags last night plus a bout of manflu didn't help
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    40:49 Expected better as I hardly stopped. "Ran" up the long uphill bit on each lap, I normally walk it. I've flat-lined massively. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    40:49 Expected better as I hardly stopped. "Ran" up the long uphill bit on each lap, I normally walk it. I've flat-lined massively. 
    Roger Bannister had similar before his 4 minute mile. You're just doing it the other way round!

Thing is you're churning out 40 and a few seconds like other people have hot dinners now which is massive progress. When conditions are better you'll dip under 40 again maybe even 39.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I left home on a lovely spring morning, drove to parkrun, parked up and the Heavens opened. 
    Wimp!!. What else would you have worn?? Running in the rain for half an hour is fun. 354 gladiators who didn’t turn back got lucky at Avery Hill, it eased up just before the very prompt (too prompt as I wasn’t ready) start. 

Made the mistake of going off too fast (for me) again so lap 3 was just about survival. 12 secs  slower than my PB. I’m pretty much running at my max and accepting it’s unlikely I’ll get much quicker, but I still love it. 

Next Saturday may prove a struggle...
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Wimp!!. What else would you have worn?? Running in the rain for half an hour is fun. 354 gladiators who didn’t turn back got lucky at Avery Hill, it eased up just before the very prompt (too prompt as I wasn’t ready) start. 

Made the mistake of going off too fast (for me) again so lap 3 was just about survival. 12 secs  slower than my PB. I’m pretty much running at my max and accepting it’s unlikely I’ll get much quicker, but I still love it. 

Next Saturday may prove a struggle...
    @AFKABartram   You finished 3 seconds behind what must be one of the best names in parkrun

• Options
    Amazing how a play-off weekend puts a spring in your step. Unexpected Lancing Beach PB this morning at 21:38! COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    34:03 at Hilly Fields yesterday, much better than the 40-odd minutes at Sunny Hill in Hendon the previous week (which makes Hilly Fields look like the Fens).

Marshalled at the junior parkrun at Hilly Fields today - striking how many parents from my generation had their kids out in Liverpool gear today. Good to see one dad slogging round with his kid in a Charlton top...
  • Options
    Worst time for quite a while today and the last mile was murder. Perfect conditions except for mine :(
  • Options
    Injured so volunteered for first time today. Still buzzing from last night, happiest marshal ever 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    My first run after a Friday night drink for a good few weeks. It was a late one with my Charlton supporting friends and subsequently didn't get to sleep till 2:30am. So a tough run and although it was a lot slower than recently, 42:25, it was still faster than my overall average time, so not a disaster. 
     No sign of AFKA
  • Options
    Hopped on the train to Dartford - lolloped around in 36.51, but then that's what you get if you don't get to bed until 2am after a winning play-off semi-final. Lovely park, interesting course, nice people, cake in the cafe after. Smashing. 

• Options
    Riviera said:

No sign of AFKA
    Sorry mate, had my kit on but realised at 8.30 I was being too selfish leaving the wife to deal with the kids and sort out the complexity of booking all the family tickets. Glad I stayed, took nearly an hour and was more stressful than I imagined. Back next week though!
  • Options
    There was no way i was getting up early enough after yesterday, well done to those that did.
  • Options
    There was no way i was getting up early enough after yesterday, well done to those that did.
    Likewise. I didn't even drink much, got in just past midnight... And just lay in bed unable to sleep
  • Options
    New parkrun starting this Saturday in West Wickham/ Elmers End way: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/bethlemroyalhospital/

Other new ones in the works for Sutcliffe Park in Eltham and Swanley Park.
  • Options
    Did a beautiful one down at Penshurst yesterday. A few happy Addicks fans there