Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

home repairs, how much do you do yourself?

1235»

Comments

• Options

Absolutely chuffed to bits that I have managed to replace a cracked cistern without flooding my toilet or the flat downstairs, sticking my foot through the ceiling (as has happened on a previous visit to the loft) or having to visit A&E.

Note; please don’t any plumbers come on here asking if I did this or that. It’ll just make me paranoid.

Well here’s hoping you replaced the slack flange tight enough.
  • Options

Absolutely chuffed to bits that I have managed to replace a cracked cistern without flooding my toilet or the flat downstairs, sticking my foot through the ceiling (as has happened on a previous visit to the loft) or having to visit A&E.

Note; please don’t any plumbers come on here asking if I did this or that. It’ll just make me paranoid.

Well here’s hoping you replaced the slack flange tight enough.
    Can anyone hear water dripping?
  • Options
    Cheers everyone.

On first inspection it doesn’t look like the valves are leaking as the water was pouring out from the middle of the radiator, looks like the water could’ve eroded through somehow. I shut off the valves which stopped the water coming out before a mad rush to work.

Going home at lunch to re-evaluate, hopefully I can buy a radiator the same size and swap it like for like.

I’ll look at a few YouTube videos first and see if I think I can do it.
  • Options
    I’ve had a rad rust through like that. Turn off both valves of course - then contemplate whether you have the confidence to remove the rad in situ. You will still have to refill and bleed the system at a minimum.
  • Options
    razil said:

I’ve had a rad rust through like that. Turn off both valves of course - then contemplate whether you have the confidence to remove the rad in situ. You will still have to refill and bleed the system at a minimum.

And don't forget the rad will leak black water, so make sure you have a bowl to collect all the water, or risk ruining your flooring.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Replaced a sanilav in our on suite, its got to be up there with emptying JJ's Anal glands as things I'd rather pay someone to do. :(

how often do you empty Jonnie Jackson's anal glands then?
  • Options

T_C_E said:

Replaced a sanilav in our on suite, its got to be up there with emptying JJ's Anal glands as things I'd rather pay someone to do. :(

Must be a lot easier now his legs have gone.
  • Options

razil said:

And don't forget the rad will leak black water, so make sure you have a bowl to collect all the water, or risk ruining your flooring.
    Yeah good point
  • Options

T_C_E said:

Simple.
    Tell him Katrein is returning as Valley CEO.
  • Options
    I can do a few things, but TBH it bores the shit out of me having just gone through a big extension build.
    I said to my kids years ago, do a job that computers cant, like Electrican and Plumbing.
    I am lucky, Junior is and Electrician and Junior Junior Junior is a Plumber, I've played blinder. ;o)