Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunday 17th September - LEGENDS game

This game is just over a week away now and I just wanted to see if we could drum up a bit more interest in this event. The committee have worked tirelessly to co-ordinate all the players, the logistics, the marketing etc and they really want this to go off with a bang. As a patron to the CACT and a regular poster on here I thought I'd do my bit of plugging. Whether you like me or not is irrelevant - I'd appreciate if you could hear me out.

I've known about the event for a while and have been rather excited - this is, after all, a chance to see some of those players that were a massive part of one of the most turbulent times in our history.

Initially people wanted to be sat in the North stand - they've listened and that is now open.

I know there are some that don't want Roland to receive a penny from this event and they are reluctant to go on this basis. I just want to reassure people that CAFC have been incredibly helpful with this whole process. They have waived fees for the rooms, they have waived profit on hospitality, the staff and cleaners have volunteered their services for free in order to keep costs to CACT to an absolute minimum. These events don't just run themselves and the costs initially were somewhat eye-watering. This is no longer the case.

Roland, Katrien, Charlton Athletic Football Club are fully supportive of this event and are not looking to take any money, any glory or any credit for this event - this is 100% about the CACT. Jason Morgan, his staff, the committee (including Keith Peacock)....too many people to list but all have played a massive part.

On the subject of the multi award-winning CACT I was at an event with them at The Valley last night where they explained some of the work they have done over the last 25 years and had 6 speakers who have all benefit from CACT programmes in one way or another over the years

It was really incredibly humbling to see a guy who was a player in the Charlton youth team - he injured his back and could no longer play. Fell into a spot of trouble and then managed to find his way into coaching which he now does at schools and colleges. He could so easily have gone on to a life of crime but the CACT got him on the straight and narrow.

There was a lady who had had a psychotic episode. She got some help from CACT to get back on her feet and now actually does some work for them.

A guy who had spent 13 or 14 years in prison. He met Matt Parrish (formerly of the CACT) who offered him an olive branch, offered him a job when he got out of prison and when he was released he went to CACT before even visiting his mother. He volunteered and then worked at CACT for 5 years before now setting up a charity offering legal assistance to young people. He still speaks fondly about the trust because they saw something in him that nobody did - and now he goes on to help people who sociaety might deem a lost cause

That's just three people but there have been countless others that have had help, support and guidance to get their lives back on track. There wasn't even mention of The Upbeats but we all know what a fantastic cause that is.

Using some witchcraft there is a global generally accepted method of calculating the value schemes like CACT generate and it worked out that for every £1 the trust spend on their programmes it is worth £6.98 to the community - this meant CACT in the year Aug'15 to July'16 put back over £30m worth of output. That's incredible and one of the reasons we should be proud of their achievements

As Paul Elliott said last night - someone once said to him "Whilst Charlton are not like Real, Barca, Man Utd and Liverpool on the pitch - their off the pitch work is Real, Barca, Man Utd AND Liverpool combined" The CACT really is that impressive and I am immensely proud to be a patron but also a supporter of this football club. So come on guys and gals - let's take a few hours out of our Sunday, go along and cheer these legends of yesteryear and all the while we can help those less fortunate than ourselves.

Your ticket will cost £10 but it could be worth almost £70 to the community and not only do you get the good karma but you get to see players who will go down in history at our club

Thanks for reading and I'll see you on the day
Steve

Comments

• Options
    Very inspiring stories, thanks for sharing Steve.

Really hope the day is a big success, but bad timing for me personally as it's my daughter's 16th birthday on the 17th.
  • Options
    I desperately wanted to go to this but both my boys play football on Sundays.

I hope it raises loads of money for CACT.
  • Options
    Unfortunately i shall be trying to persuade Salman Khan that buying a third division English football club is a really good idea.

Good luck to all those involved.
  • Options
    I assume I can buy tickets at the Wigan game Tuesday night?
  • Options
    Not got a ticket yet but do plan to go. Assume I can pay on the day. Thinking of taking both little ones with me , one for her. First experience of Charlton. It's a great idea and that is an inspiring pitch for it Swis.
  • Options
    buy tickets online here https://booking.cafc.co.uk/match-tickets.aspx

Or ring the box office like I did.

• Options
    One question @Swisdom if I may.
    "Roland and Katrien are fully supportive of the event"
    Can I assume both will giving up their valuable time to be there?
  • Options
    Great post - can't be there myself but have persuaded a pal to go instead.

A chance to see Curbs, Super Clive, Herman, CP and all the other great CAFC names is a brilliant idea.

"Sometimes I get to thinking I was back in the old days, long ago. When we were kids, when we were young, things seemed so perfect - you know"
  • Options
    I've never heard anyone saying anything really other than fantastic things about the community trust @Swisdom . Many people on here 'gift' to them whether that's directly, some of the upbeat sponsorship or shirt raffles etc that have happened on here as you mention.

I also don't think there are many, if any, people 'boycotting' this event as such. Sure a few had asked about where exactly the money is going/are RD CAFC receiving anything from the ticket sales etc but aside from that which had been clarified there is an event and people will chose if they wish to attend or not.

Unfortunately the two 25th Anniversaries (as this is supposed to be a joint acknowledgement of both the return to the Valley as well as the Trusts 25 years) have come during a very low time for the club and it's supporters, our gates are as low as they have ever been since that momentous occasion in 1992 where we came home. Had this game been played at 20 years I think there would have been a huge difference in attendance.

I remember speaking to the committee's chairman a while back about the events that they were thinking of planning for the anniversaries, one of which was this very game which in his words would 'sell out' along with smaller regional events around the country that supporters would arrange :neutral: - I did at the time try to caveat caution to this as at that moment we were probably at our lowest ebb since 1985 and bang in the middle of protests. Would there be an appetite to celebrate what was in many respects very much a fans achievement in conjunction with the club with everyone pulling together at a time when the two sides were now at logger heads?

I think I made the point at the time to him that, that week, details about the BTTV committee had recently been posted on here, in a few days it had received very few responses or comments and quickly disappeared off the front page. I think this was the post; http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2675058#Comment_2675058

You could say the same again where there is more discussion on the largest Charlton Forum about an idiot of a Conservative MP, the game on Saturday or the one about Crabsticks!

I just think they massively over estimated the interest there would be for this, at this time. Anyone under 40 would have been unlikely to have had much if any involvement in the BTTV campaign. I think mistakes were also made on the appointment of the committee and having a joint celebration.

I have to say the players they have got together is nothing short of superb, although I don't believe all of them are actually going to take the field (Leaburn for instance), some of my all time favourites are there including Simon Webster who I've been fortunate to get to know a little recently.

I'm yet to buy a ticket, but will more than likely go and pay on the day but the Women are also playing, hopefully that's what a lot of people will do as it would be a shame to see a 3/4 full lower west and 750 in the lower north for the players if nothing else, but that's seems to be where it's heading IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

T.C.E said:

One question @Swisdom if I may.
    "Roland and Katrien are fully supportive of the event"
    Can I assume both will giving up their valuable time to be there?

Don't know. Don't care. It's not about them.
    Couldn't agree more, I assume its about the club, its ownership and the fans coming together and showing support for the Trust by attending a football match celebrating the return to The Valley therefore I simply asked if the man so instrumental in the event happening would be?

• Options
    At a guess I would say Katrien will be there but Roland will get it beamed back to him in his lair
  • Options
    was hopeful in attending but i cant now attend the match anywhere you can just make a donation?
  • Options
    sadly it's a 1pm KO, would've loved to have gone, but needed to be 3pm.

why is it lunchtime?, must be putting others like myself off who have commitments on a Sunday morning?
  • Options

was hopeful in attending but i cant now attend the match anywhere you can just make a donation?

Think you can directly donate on the trusts website.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Think you can directly donate on the trusts website.
    cheers will pop a tenner in there now as would of paid it anyway to watch the match.
  • Options
    My regular crowd will be attending.
    If the catering proceeds are all going to CACT as well, then we'll buy teas and 14chips, maybe a pint too for the first time in 3 years.
    Here's hoping for fine weather dragging plenty more Addicks of all ages out for a couple of hours.
    Hopefully all decked out in old Charlton red.
  • Options
    Is there any kind of meet and greet of players? Will definitely bring the kids with me and would be cool for them to meet some of these CAFC legends. Will any hospitality be open also?
  • Options
    Are tickets sales looking low ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was one of those anxious that the club should not be making money from this event, partly because I didn't want them "using" our legends and our memories to line their pockets, and partly because I wanted the Trust to get the maximum benefit from it. To her great credit, @Tracey responded positively to my posts on here and was able to confirm that was the case. On that basis I have bought tickets and will be going with a lifelong Charlton loving mate and am really looking forward to marking and celebrating that momentous time 25 years ago.

It's a great opportunity to see a superb line up of Charlton heroes, to let the great memories come flooding back, to show our love and respect for people who made such a great contribution to our club and, of course, to support the great work of the Trust.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Are tickets sales looking low ?

Just had a quick look, the centre west blocks (C,D & E) are reasonably full but assume there are a number of giveaways there. Blocks A, B and F, G and H have barely sold any.

The Covered end is a lot lower, block A 3 seats, block B about 30, block C about 25 etc ......

I don't know what that totals, maybe 2,000 with a pure guess, of those maybe 300 comps?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @Athletico Charlton and anyone else interested - there is a pre match brunch and Q&A with some legends for £30 including match ticket:

http://cact.org.uk/legends-united
  • Options
    Thank you @Weegie Addick . Looks fun.
  • Options
    noticed the programme Saturday had 3pm KO in one article, assume that was a mis-print
  • Options
    Three adults and one kid going on Sunday from my side :-)
  • Options
    will the museum be open before the game?
  • Options

noticed the programme Saturday had 3pm KO in one article, assume that was a mis-print

Brian Cole also announced at half time the North Lower 'may be open'

Hope they let me in with ths tickets I have bought!

• Options
    Bad timing 1 pm, doubt if I can make it.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Brian Cole also announced at half time the North Lower 'may be open'

Hope they let me in with ths tickets I have bought!

It'll be open, I suspect that'll be where the majority of pay on the day will go.