Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OLDHAM 3 CHARLTON 4 - 2nd September 2017

edited September 2017 in General Charlton

OLDHAM 3 (Davies 34 pen, Doyle 51, Byrne 82) CHARLTON 4 (Holmes 18, Fosu 21, Clarke 62, Dodoo 72)

Attendance 3,592

Oldham Ben Wilson, Brian Wilson, Gerrard, Gardner, Banks (Fane, 26), Davies, Doyle, Hunt, Clarke, Byrne (Osei, 90), Bryan (Fawns, 78).

Charlton Amos, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Jackson, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Clarke (Konsa, 79), Fosu, Holmes, Ahearne-Grant (Dodoo, 50).

Summary

Charlton extended their impressive start to the season, making it three wins in four. Highlight of the game was a potential goal of the season from Ricky Holmes from 30 yards. At 2-2, the game hinged on a controversial sending off of Ousmane Fane in the 54th minute. Charlton then returned to a two goal advantage from Billy Clarke and debutant Joe Dodoo, before a third Oldham game added some late drama.

Post Match comments

Robinson: ““I don’t think we were great. For the first 30 minutes we were unplayable, but we came off it and got sloppy in our play. For some reason, one minute we were playing one-twos, playing round corners and rotating and doing everything we said, then, all of a sudden, top players can’t pass five yards. Sometimes that’s unexplainable, but when you aren’t playing well, it’s important that you grind results out and that’s the first time I’ve really seen us do that. We weren’t at our best today, but I’m still proud of my players because I’m proud of what they’ve done. We were like the red arrows at times [in the first half-hour]! We were quick, we were dynamic, moved the ball very, very quickly, we looked organised and looked a good team, but I think our fuel ran out.”

Holmes: “We got carried away. We thought we were better than what we are. We can’t go into the season like that because we’ll get picked off. We all thought we could get six. Us forward players got excited and thought we could fill our boots. We forgot to help out the back line and the gap was getting bigger between the midfield and defence. We’re a group of lads who know and we say it ourselves. We run our own changing room and that’s what he wants. We could have got beaten today, even when they had 10 men they still had chances – it was like a basketball match. We know we’ve got to be better but we’re not too fazed. We’ve come away to a hard place. Teams will get beat here but we managed to get the win.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Homes= 8.08
Fosu-Henry = 7.88
Kashi = 7.77
Clarke = 7.50
Forster-Caskey = 7.08
Dodoo = 6.73
Amos = 6.31
Pearce = 6.19
Bauer = 6.00
Solly = 5.73
Jackson = 5.62