Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sitcoms

Comments

• Options

Minder, with Dennis Waterman.

Wrote the theme tune...sang the theme tune...
  • Options

RIP Arthur.
    The World was his Lobster .
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Just seen The Story of only Fools and Horses on t.v.Does any one else not find fools and horses funny.Stupidity and Slapstick never found amusing.

Can watch it, its alright but Friends anyday of the week for me
  • Options

Not a Situation Comedy.
  • Options
    Just Good Friends was good - another one by John Sullivan
    Only Fools and Horses is top of pile for me, closely followed by Black Adder, Fawlty Towers and The Office.
    Ever Decreasing Circles wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    Nathan Barley was a very clever sitcom - written by Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker. Way ahead of its time in predicting how ridiculous the digital age would become.
  • Options
    Dear John had it's moments. "You have that one on me Mrs Boyd-Peters"...
  • Options
    League of Gentlemen has to be my all time fave, just exactly my sense of humour. Only other to rival it is Father Ted

Having said that, was watching the theatre episode of the IT Crowd last week and nearly pissed myself
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Loads of good ones.
    Detectorists was absolutely my cup of tea, and I even found myself standing and applauding (in the room on my own) the Christmas special.
    Not a belly laugh series, but inventive and sincere with very good characters, and for a city kid it was great to see a sitcom set in the country.
    Surprised no mention of Citizen Smith, perhaps a bit old now, but a good forerunner for quite a lot of shows.

I remember championing Detectorists along with yourself when the series started.
    However, I'm heart broken/furious that I never knew there was a Christmas Special. I've tried iplayer, YouTube to no avail.
    Fingers crossed for a third series...
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

League of Gentlemen has to be my all time fave, just exactly my sense of humour. Only other to rival it is Father Ted

Having said that, was watching the theatre episode of the IT Crowd last week and nearly pissed myself

That used to scare the shit out of me, Papa Lazou and Hillary especially

Also made me laugh a lot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

seth plum said:

Loads of good ones.
    Detectorists was absolutely my cup of tea, and I even found myself standing and applauding (in the room on my own) the Christmas special.
    Not a belly laugh series, but inventive and sincere with very good characters, and for a city kid it was great to see a sitcom set in the country.
    Surprised no mention of Citizen Smith, perhaps a bit old now, but a good forerunner for quite a lot of shows.

I remember championing Detectorists along with yourself when the series started.
    However, I'm heart broken/furious that I never knew there was a Christmas Special. I've tried iplayer, YouTube to no avail.
    Fingers crossed for a third series...
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/64886/dectectorists#latest
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    McBobbin said:

...was watching the theatre episode of the IT Crowd last week and nearly pissed myself

That episode of the IT Crowd is, in my opinion, possibly the best single episode of a sitcom there has ever been.
    If you've never seen it, it's called "The Staff Outing" and it's on Netflix.
  • Options
    The Theatre one is brilliant. The Dinner Party one and the one where they think Jen is dead are both very good as well.

Also...

A fire? At a sea parks?!
  • Options
    There's just too many great IT Crowd episodes, off the top of my head the episode where they convince Jen that they've borrowed the internet for her to use in her speech, the episode where they try to be "normal blokes" and end up taking part in an armed robbery, the street countdown episode.

Graham Lineham really knows how to build the comic tension up throughout and episode for the perfect payoff. Like the Father Ted the Racist episode
  • Options

There's just too many great IT Crowd episodes, off the top of my head the episode where they convince Jen that they've borrowed the internet for her to use in her speech, the episode where they try to be "normal blokes" and end up taking part in an armed robbery, the street countdown episode.

Graham Lineham really knows how to build the comic tension up throughout and episode for the perfect payoff. Like the Father Ted the Racist episode

Not a sitcom, but Big Train was class as well
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Not a sitcom, but Big Train was class as well
    You're right! It wasn't a sitcom.
  • Options

You're right, some great episodes and as @Fiiish mentioned above, when everyone thinks Jen is dead ("The haunting of Bill Crause") is brilliant, but "The Staff Outing" is the cream.
    I showed this episode to my eight year old daughter, my mother-in-law and my wife's aunt (both Norwegian and in their seventies) and the four of us absolutely pissed ourselves laughing together.
    That's a good indication that a show is funny.
  • Options

There's just too many great IT Crowd episodes, off the top of my head the episode where they convince Jen that they've borrowed the internet for her to use in her speech, the episode where they try to be "normal blokes"

Ludicrous display.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Not a Situation Comedy.
    Never heard of that one.
  • Options
    Just to make us all feel old........apparently Only Fools and Horses aired for the first time on this date........36 years ago! :neutral:
  • Options

Has anyone else seen Upstart Crow?
    It's Ben Elton's sitcom about Shakespeare, starring David Mitchell.
    I'd never heard of it, then saw it while on a flight last Christmas. I've watched all six episodes now on other flights (never seen it elsewhere!)
    It's pretty good in places and cleverly written, but has occasional duff moments.
    The worst thing about it is the character Kempe, who for some reason is portrayed (by comedian Spencer Jones) as an impression of David Brent.
    Is this show something of an unknown as I've not seen any references to it or reviews anywhere?

So, nobody's seen this then?
    I didn't imagine it. Honest.
    Back on again next week @lordromford

tvwise.co.uk/2017/09/bbc-two-sets-premiere-date-upstart-crow-season-2/
  • Options
    Bottom, league of gentlemen, the young ones, father Ted
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I was thinking the same, but came to the conclusion that it's not really a sitcom.
    Or is it?

I'm still the only person who'd mentioned Outnumbered. Brilliant, despite being written by a Palace fan (Guy Jenkin). It's probably the sitcom I can relate to the most. Apart from Drop The Dead Donkey.
  • Options
    Quacks on bbc well worth a look, good bit of dark humour.
  • Options
    Nighty Night should get a mention, great show!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Not sure what is 'sit com' and what isn't...
    Anyway, lots of great ones.
    My personal obsession is with 'Human Remains'.
    Brydon's best work in my opinion, and I've got such a crush on Julia Davis...
  • Options
    I don't think I have seen a mention for 'Allo allo'?
  • Options
    When The Office first started I really wasn't sure about it. After two or three episodes I realised it was amazing. In my opinion it brought comedy to the next level. It was the real world brought to life.

OFAH for me was the same in that it brought comedy up to date at the time. It was more realistic than sitcoms like some mothers do 'ave em etc....

If I could have just one on the dessert island it would be OFAH. I grew up with it.