Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney back to Everton

Comments

• Options
    If they're paying him over 100k a week, after watching last season's performances, it'll be a huge waste of money.

Feel like he's suited best in a 4-4-2 formation but no one plays it anymore.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Even though I don't rate him. I have to say that it's great to see a player do this rather than go off to China to earn a million a week.

Yes this I can agree on. Good point @dizzee
  • Options
    Once Fergie went managers stopped building the team around him. He needs that again to kick on.
  • Options

Despite how poor England were at the Euros he was easily our best and most intelligent player out there.

I hope Everton can keep that squad together but I think this means Barkley will be off.

Good to see ' Rooney' and 'intelligent'' used in the same sentence. You don't often see that.
    Do you consider yourself intelligent? If so, why aren't you an international footballer as well?
  • Options
    His legs have gone and as others have said he has never looked convincing in midfield at all.

Remember how utterly abysmal he was vs Iceland in the Euros?
  • Options

His legs have gone and as others have said he has never looked convincing in midfield at all.

Remember how utterly abysmal he was vs Iceland in the Euros?

In that case the whole England teams legs have gone.
    Yep - fair call!

To be fair Rooney was so shit against Iceland that even Woy had to substitute him after he had let the ball roll under his foot for the 5th time.

Too many people assume that a creative striker can simply be re-deployed into midfield, this is complete bollocks.

Would you assume that Pirlo or Yaya Toure could be made into a striker? Of course not!

Too many people - including the Scouse Granny Shagger - think that playing in midfield is about playing 50-yard Hollywood balls when it's actually much more about keeping possession of the ball and directing the pace and tempo of the game.
  • Options
    I don't think people realise just how much rebuilding this Everton squad needs. They've relied so heavily on Lukaku in recent years but there's next to nothing else around him. Aside from Lukaku last season they only had Kone and Enner Valencia of all people to rely on up front, and they've both gone now, as has Niasse (I assume, if he ever existed). In attacking midfield they have brought in Klaasen but aside from that there's Barkley, who might well be leaving and can't string three good performances together, Mirallas who can't string two together, Lennon who has his troubles, Bolasie who is out for even longer than feared and no-one else. Deeper in midfield they've improved with Scheniderlin, but with him, McCarthy, Gueye and Barry there's a lot of players to break up play and not a lot to get the ball forward.

In Rooney you've got a versatile experienced player who can fill in up front, at 10 and in midfield at a pinch, as well as someone who can help the likes of Lookman and Calvert-Lewin develop. Plus the boost it'll give the fans to have one of their greatest ever academy products return. It's a decent signing.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I don't think people realise just how much rebuilding this Everton squad needs. They've relied so heavily on Lukaku in recent years but there's next to nothing else around him. Aside from Lukaku last season they only had Kone and Enner Valencia of all people to rely on up front, and they've both gone now, as has Niasse (I assume, if he ever existed). In attacking midfield they have brought in Klaasen but aside from that there's Barkley, who might well be leaving and can't string three good performances together, Mirallas who can't string two together, Lennon who has his troubles, Bolasie who is out for even longer than feared and no-one else. Deeper in midfield they've improved with Scheniderlin, but with him, McCarthy, Gueye and Barry there's a lot of players to break up play and not a lot to get the ball forward.

In Rooney you've got a versatile experienced player who can fill in up front, at 10 and in midfield at a pinch, as well as someone who can help the likes of Lookman and Calvert-Lewin develop. Plus the boost it'll give the fans to have one of their greatest ever academy products return. It's a decent signing.

Tom Davies? If he plays as well next season as he did from January onwards, he'll be in the England team in Russia next summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tom Davies? If he plays as well next season as he did from January onwards, he'll be in the England team in Russia next summer.
    Yep, he's a very good prospect. He could really benefit from Rooney being around. I remember Koeman saying that Davies still had to work on his decision-making in tight situations and for all that Rooney's not that popular these days he's certainly made a career out of his ability to make decisions on the pitch
  • Options

Nope he's back @ Everton now, Hull had the option to buy him but chose not to (I guess because of relegation)
  • Options
    75 mill bid from united accepted for lukaku
  • Options

£75m. Really? I'm slightly surprised it wasn't higher given the current market.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

But then again... £75m is a huge amount of money for someone with such a poor record of scoring against the other top 5/6 clubs.
  • Options
    Everton signed him for £28m just three years ago... Thats a £15m increase per season they've made!!
  • Options
    After Aguero Lukakau is the best forward in the league. Quality signing for Utd.
  • Options
  • Options
    thats why i dont get arsenal instead of lacazette could of got lukaku who is a proven goalscorer for 20 mil more and would of made there fans happy for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lukaku is a pretty simplistic player. A flat track bully, if you will. And he's super selfish. I always notice that about him. He's either posing in the shade of his own perceived brilliance, or bitching at someone else for not giving him them ball.

That stat about being how the vast majority of his goals came when Everton were already winning makes a lot of sense to me.

He may well fit right in at United and be precisely what they need, but I cannot fathom why anyone would think he's better than Kane, who is the best all-round striker the Prem has seen since Shearer. Aguero is the best finisher, but even he would admit Kane's an excellent target man and team player.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Not all about goals. Both are better all round players than Kane. Plus Aguero has had injuries.

Just for the record...PL games only:

Was surprised to see Lukaku has got as many assists as he has.

And as for all the injuries Aguero has had, I must have imagined Kane twice snapping doing his ankle ligaments in the last two seasons...

(corrected that as its was twice he was out last season, not the season before!)

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

TalkSport reporting the bid hasn't been accepted, Everton holding out for £100M.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

TalkSport reporting the bid hasn't been accepted, Everton holding out for £100M.
    See, now thats what I was expecting. If Pogba was worth £90m...
  • Options
    (PS) can you tell I'm bored at work today?
  • Options
    edited July 2017

JohnBoyUK said:

Or holding out to see if Chelsea bid higher than 75m?

From what i've read Lukaku would prefer Chelsea and wants to play with Hazard. But i think it depends on whether they can offload Costa to Atletico where he won't be able to play until January.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Or holding out to see if Chelsea bid higher than 75m?

From what i've read Lukaku would prefer Chelsea and wants to play with Hazard. But i think it depends on whether they can offload Costa to Atletico where he won't be able to play until January.
    How long does the Atletico transfer embargo go on for? Until January? Wonder if they can come up with some kind of pre-agreement or would that be off limits?

I'd proper laugh if Man Utd didn't get him but I'm surprised Chelsea want him. Is he better than Costa? I know Costa is a bit of a villain but he is a quality finisher when he tries.