Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney back to Everton

Comments

• Options

It could say he was played in a different way in 16/17

Mourinho gave him a chance up top at the start of the season where he wanted to play. It very quickly became apparent that he wasn't able to compete at the top level.

I think you'll see very similar stats this season if he signs for Everton

He's huffing and puffing big time out on the pitch.

Koeman may be able to ultilise him in a very tactical/clever way, but I can't see it myself
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think Everton would be more likely to play to his strengths. If he joins, we'll see.
  • Options
    Why pay Rooney 250k a week when they won't pay Barkley 130k a week? Mad money all round but doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options

I think Everton would be more likely to play to his strengths. If he joins, we'll see.

I don't think he's got many strengths left to play to!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    cabbles said:

It could say he was played in a different way in 16/17

Mourinho gave him a chance up top at the start of the season where he wanted to play. It very quickly became apparent that he wasn't able to compete at the top level.

I think you'll see very similar stats this season if he signs for Everton

He's huffing and puffing big time out on the pitch.

Koeman may be able to ultilise him in a very tactical/clever way, but I can't see it myself
    He's better suited to a 4-4-2 where he has some support and can be creative. Struggles up top on his own but that's the way the game's going
  • Options

Personally don't understand why he (and John Terry) don't just go out to America for a couple of years. Earn fantastic money and experience a fantastic different way of life (within their comfort zone ie. Not China or Middle East), and play at a level they will be comfortable with.

Rooney has a fantastic attitude on the pitch, but can't see this ending well tbh

He might love where he lives as much as I love travelling and exploring I could never see me living anywhere other than England
  • Options

Why pay Rooney 250k a week when they won't pay Barkley 130k a week? Mad money all round but doesn't make sense to me.

This will be the biggest stumbling block imo cant see him moving because of the wages. He would be useful but would command at least £100k per week and there will be alot better value out there imo
  • Options
    dizzee said:

A lot of money will be wasted on him. He's never been that great and certainly past it now.

Agree. 400 games and 200 goals, over 100 caps and 53 goals. Tosser.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

2013/14 Appearances 29 Goals 17 Assists 10
    2014/15 Appearances 33 Goals 12 Assists 5
    2015/16 Appearances 28 Goals 8 Assists 6
    2016/17 Appearances 25 Goals 5 Assists 5

Ok stats tell everything but it shows he has been in decline.

How many of those has he started?
  • Options

But what does it say if most of them have been from the bench.....

He's had a few injuries over the last few years, and I take the earlier point about playing from the age of 16, but I think the States would've been the best way to preserve what is a good personal record

Be a good move for Man Utd though. Getting £250k or whatever it is off the books
  • Options

He can play for whoever wants him / whoever he wants to play for and, in so doing, will earn more money in a weekend than I do in a year.
    Sky TV. Thatcherism. Voodoo economics. NHS down the pan. Local Government in shreds.
    Mind how you spend it, Wayne.

I get your point but at the end of the day he is only earning what they are prepared to pay him.

Hardly his fault that the government aren't capable of running a choir practice in a nave!!
  • Options

Wouldn't want either (if I were an Everton Fan), both seriously overrated
  • Options

If he can't even be an automatic choice at a time when Man U have been poor, that's not a good sign.

Maybe the Everton move is the spur he needs, to work a bit harder in training, to get a bit fitter, as if he isn't prepared to turn things around, the the US/Qatar/China alternatives would make more sense.

• Options
    masicat said:

dizzee said:

A lot of money will be wasted on him. He's never been that great and certainly past it now.

Agree. 400 games and 200 goals, over 100 caps and 53 goals. Tosser.
    Alright Wayne, keep your knickers on.
  • Options

Last couple of years playing in a poor Man Utd team that was all about defence / not letting in goals.

I of the best performances from a midfielder I've seen at the Valley over the last 25 years was Jan Molby - never left the centre circle & bossed the game.
  • Options
    His main problem is that in recent years he seems to think he's the second coming of Andrea Pirlo. In reality, he's a bang average player who had a bit of pace, above average skill and the fearlessness of youth on his side when he first burst onto the scene. That went south around about his third season at ManYoo and he just hasn't got the class, brain or touch to reinvent himself as the midfielder every manager seems to want him to play as.
  • Options
    One thing he was always very good at was chasing down the ball, putting himself about and generally playing like a dog in a park with a tennis ball.

Without that edge to his game i'm not sure he's all that great
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I recall a fat Jan Molby absolutely bossing things at the end of his career - Rooney has quality set peices and good passing, and he does know where the goal is given a chance. Needs a team where he is one of the first name son the team sheet - whereas at United he has to accommodate other players.
  • Options
    rooney has just psyched himself out, the classic case of tries too hard when he just needs to relax and enjoy the game. There were times when he took a touch when he maybe should've moved it on. Just kept trying to be the magic man when he should've trusted the rest of the team.

I also think he's the type of player that doesn't work well in systems the rest of the England team work well in, he's not an out and out striker which is where he's been played in tournaments recently. Some one like Kane and Sturbridge and vardy are out and out strikers and the other England players are used to playing with one.

Just a bit of an enigma of a player.
  • Options

I recall a fat Jan Molby absolutely bossing things at the end of his career - Rooney has quality set peices and good passing, and he does know where the goal is given a chance. Needs a team where he is one of the first name son the team sheet - whereas at United he has to accommodate other players.

Did you watch the Rooney highlights above? I wouldn't say passing and set pieces are his strong point
  • Options

rooney has just psyched himself out, the classic case of tries too hard when he just needs to relax and enjoy the game. There were times when he took a touch when he maybe should've moved it on. Just kept trying to be the magic man when he should've trusted the rest of the team.

I also think he's the type of player that doesn't work well in systems the rest of the England team work well in, he's not an out and out striker which is where he's been played in tournaments recently. Some one like Kane and Sturbridge and vardy are out and out strikers and the other England players are used to playing with one.

You are Karel Fraeye and I claim my prize...
  • Options

Last couple of years playing in a poor Man Utd team that was all about defence / not letting in goals.

I of the best performances from a midfielder I've seen at the Valley over the last 25 years was Jan Molby - never left the centre circle & bossed the game.
    I am afraid the game is a lot quicker now and every year Rooney has been getting a bit slower. If he wants more time on the ball he should drop down to L1!
  • Options

You are Karel Fraeye and I claim my prize...
    I don't have the tactical nous to know when to tell my players to "spread out"
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    sam3110 said:

Did you watch the Rooney highlights above? I wouldn't say passing and set pieces are his strong point
    I don't need videos - I have been watching him for years. I rate him, you may not - I think that is quite simple really.
  • Options
    Superb move ... he will go back as captain and lift the Club Team and the City and the youth players will have someone in the club to aspire to!!!

Still a very good footballer - perfect move
  • Options
    He isn't the Rooney in his prime but he's still a good player, play to his strengths and he'll be an asset to any bottom 15 premier team!!