Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Van hits pedestrians outside Finsbury Park Mosque

Comments

• Options
    @Addicted and @C_Jensens_Love_Child - will reply to you both in one for brevity's sake.

You're both right. White is a colour, not a religion. They're a difference there.

However, I could use the words white or Muslim interchangeably at the start of the following:

"[x] people come from all sorts of backgrounds, and hold many varying beliefs, and there is often disagreement amongst them as to what's right or wrong - Labour or Tory; Keynesian economics/boom and bust or austerity; kittens or puppies."

A mistake I would think you're both making is to equate takfiri salafi Wahhabi Islamism to ALL Islam, and therefore expect every other Muslim to condemn something that they, too, do not believe in and are just as scared of as you.
    It's a spurious and unhelpful link between skin color and religion as drivers for terror, and ignores every one of the problems that caused all of the latest attacks.
    This is fair enough, Addicted. As for the problems that caused the latest attacks, I'd like to point to a couple of comments I've come across in the past:

1) http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72326/explosion-at-brussels-airport/p10
    It is wrong to say "ISIS are not Muslims" and it is extremely unhelpful to separate them from the religion. My tutor actually has spoken on national TV and written articles about this exact topic. He is a Shi'a Muslim and an academic, and he argues - quite correctly I think - that if you ignore the religious roots of the group then you cannot possible grasp the problem. Because their ideology, their beliefs and their objectives, are entirely religious. They fit within a framework that is Islamic (albeit a distinct brand of fundamental Islam) and their justifications are entirely theological.

If you disassociate them from Islam, then you have to explain their motives and actions by completely different terms. This is something you hear a lot: 'They just don't know how great Western culture is'. 'They are poor and marginalised so turn to violence.' 'They are responding to the US occupation of Iraq.' 'They are responding to European colonialism.' 'It is all about oil'. So on and so forth.

Some of those things have elements of truth - marginalisation, poverty and retribution certainly are causes as well. Yet the biggest cause, above anything else, is their religious belief. If you are an atheist like me, you can only truly understand this by imagining how you would see the world if you were a fundamentalist Muslim.

Once you do that, (and it requires a basic understanding of fundamental Islam that I don't have time to write here), then it all makes sense. It works the same for if you imagine you were a fundamental Christian - this might be easier to imagine.

If I believed that the world was going to end and I had to obey the law of the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful deity in order to reach eternal paradise, I'd do whatever the hell was needed to get on his good side. If that means killing people, why wouldn't I? This world is just a temporary, physical one. It's worth it for infinity in paradise. And they are non-believers anyway, they know nothing.

If that is how you see the world and that is how you understand it, then these acts of violence make sense. The whole Islamic State makes sense.
    2) https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/5wmsqz/cmv_islam_is_a_repugnant_religion_which_has_no/debcxmd/

-------

I'm never going to claim to be an authority on causes, but hopefully these are useful reads.

As for my initial comment - I concede it was inflammatory, but I didn't want to start an argument, rather create a dialogue, and I apologise for my flippancy.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

"In times like these it's really important that the Muslim white community condemn the actions and stress the attacker was not a part of their community, and it's great to see that happening"

Curious as to why my comment merits two abuse flags?!

I meant to draw parallels between, for instance, the Muslim Council/various mosques and imams always having to say "we condemn the [attack somewhere]", while when it's a white guy, this needn't happen.
    I'm in agreement with you, were I christian and it were to come out he did this as an act of christianity i'd expect to condemn it. His acts certainly wouldn't meet any of the new testament values of christianity... The old testament however...

He is white, I am white, we are both british, therefore I can condemn him in the one link many muslims will see between us, We are white brits.

He deserves whatever punishment comes his way and worse.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

@Addicted and @C_Jensens_Love_Child - will reply to you both in one for brevity's sake.

You're both right. White is a colour, not a religion. They're a difference there.

However, I could use the words white or Muslim interchangeably at the start of the following:

"[x] people come from all sorts of backgrounds, and hold many varying beliefs, and there is often disagreement amongst them as to what's right or wrong - Labour or Tory; Keynesian economics/boom and bust or austerity; kittens or puppies."

A mistake I would think you're both making is to equate takfiri salafi Wahhabi Islamism to ALL Islam, and therefore expect every other Muslim to condemn something that they, too, do not believe in and are just as scared of as you.

It's a spurious and unhelpful link between skin color and religion as drivers for terror, and ignores every one of the problems that caused all of the latest attacks.

Where have I said that? Lets get this straight, I've hardly commented on previous threads about terror attacks. Like I said the flag was because you were trying to encourage a childish argument by being sarcastic. Had some made a similar childish comment on the opposite side of the argument to you then I would have flagged them as well.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Where have I said that? Lets get this straight, I've hardly commented on previous threads about terror attacks. Like I said the flag was because you were trying to encourage a childish argument by being sarcastic. Had some made a similar childish comment on the opposite side of the argument to you then I would have flagged them as well.
    Fair enough.

I suppose I took when you said "it's worth pointing out that white is a colour and Islam is a religion" as you thinking that "Islam" was one thing? There may have been a miscommunication there.

Addicted definitely seemed to imply it, though said "a doctrine that can be interpreted" so acknowledges there are differences within Islam - but it's still unhelpful to blanket the term "Islam" in such situations imo
  • Options
    Can this incident be classed as a terrorist attack?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Can this incident be classed as a terrorist attack?

Yes, I think the police are treating it as such.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some slight confusion it would seem.
    It's noticeable that the suspect has been charged with 'attempted' murder not murder.
    It's been suggested that the person who died was in fact already dead from a heart attack 'prior' to the incident.
    So.....some slight confusion around the one person killed claims.

I don't think I've seen that 'suggested' anywhere. Be a hell of a coincidence wouldn't it?
  • Options
    I don't see a happy future for our society. There are too many religious, social and economic tensions and we've become worryingly weak and divided. Attacks like this aren't going to bring the roof down but they're a good indicator of what's to come.
  • Options

It's noticeable that the suspect has been charged with 'attempted' murder not murder.
    It's been suggested that the person who died was in fact already dead from a heart attack 'prior' to the incident.

The Guardian has this from 8:25

"Driver arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, Scotland Yard says

Dep Asst Comm Neil Basu of the Metropolitan police, who is senior national co-ordinator for counter-terrorism policing, is giving a statement.

He says it is too early to tell whether the man who died at the scene was killed in the attack. Eight others were taken to hospital. Two were treated at the scene. All of the victims were Muslim.

The driver of the van has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, Basu said."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/19/north-london-van-incident-finsbury-park-casualties-collides-pedestrians-live-updates?page=with:block-594786f2e4b0d5ab311e93b8#liveblog-navigation

It certainly seems paradoxical, but it's worth remembering that we get updates in real time these days. I have no idea how the British booking/charging system works, but it may be that the man was originally arrested on attempted murder, and that police are now waiting to change the charge until they determine if this was a terrorist attack. Also possible there may need to be some form of formal determination of cause of death. I can think of any number of other little reasons why he may be currently held on attempted murder, but I would expect that to change.
  • Options
    Agree to disagree then Dazzler and Paddy. Started to get dragged into this so gonna stop myself now as I'm breaking my own rules.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Dep Asst Comm Neil Basu of the Metropolitan police, who is senior national co-ordinator for counter-terrorism policing, is giving a statement.

He says it is too early to tell whether the man who died at the scene was killed in the attack. Eight others were taken to hospital. Two were treated at the scene. All of the victims were Muslim.

The driver of the van has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, Basu said."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/19/north-london-van-incident-finsbury-park-casualties-collides-pedestrians-live-updates?page=with:block-594786f2e4b0d5ab311e93b8#liveblog-navigation

It certainly seems paradoxical, but it's worth remembering that we get updates in real time these days. I have no idea how the British booking/charging system works, but it may be that the man was originally arrested on attempted murder, and that police are now waiting to change the charge until they determine if this was a terrorist attack. Also possible there may need to be some form of formal determination of cause of death. I can think of any number of other little reasons why he may be currently held on attempted murder, but I would expect that to change.
    Not sure what he was oringally arrested for is hugely relevant - as you say it can change at any point if there is sufficient evidence to do so.
  • Options

I don't think I've seen that 'suggested' anywhere. Be a hell of a coincidence wouldn't it?
    It was mentioned as a possibility on the 10 am news on Radio 4.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Agree to disagree then Dazzler and Paddy. Started to get dragged into this so gonna stop myself now as I'm breaking my own rules.

That's entirely fair enough
  • Options
    This guy is an eyewitness. Watching this made me draw three conclusions.

1. There was a man ill or injured, on the ground, before the attack happened. So it was likely that the target of the attacker was the group of people surrounding him. And the suggestion that someone suffered a heart attack rather than dying by being struck is likely true.

2. The immediate police and ambulance response was too slow and too few. Half an hour is way too long. His recall of timing may not have been accurate, so even if it were half that time, it's too long. And one ambulance being dispatched for eight or ten casualties is obviously far too few.

3. This man deserves a medal.

• Options
    The police said they were there within 10 minutes didn't they?
  • Options
    “From 00:21hrs this morning police received a number calls to Seven Sisters Road following a van having collided with pedestrians.

"Officers were in the immediate vicinity as the attack unfolded and responded instantly. Additional officers arrived within 10 minutes.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/incident-in-seven-sisters-road-247036
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible time for Britain! Horrible thing to happen and evil to do! RIP to the innocent person killed , and speedy recovery to the injured
  • Options
    WSS said:

The police said they were there within 10 minutes didn't they?

That's good
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Chizz said:

1. There was a man ill or injured, on the ground, before the attack happened. So it was likely that the target of the attacker was the group of people surrounding him. And the suggestion that someone suffered a heart attack rather than dying by being struck is likely true.

2. The immediate police and ambulance response was too slow and too few. Half an hour is way too long. His recall of timing may not have been accurate, so even if it were half that time, it's too long. And one ambulance being dispatched for eight or ten casualties is obviously far too few.

BBC news said this morning that emergency services were there within 10 minutes.

Last thing that's needed is for this to develop into a 'The Police only care when white people get hurt' argument.

I'm sure no-one is suggesting that.
  • Options

So sad. "An eye-for-eye and tooth-for-tooth would lead to a world of the blind and toothless."

RIP

Like that, made a note and will deffo use it in future conversations
  • Options
    se9addick said:

SDAddick said:

Not sure what he was oringally arrested for is hugely relevant - as you say it can change at any point if there is sufficient evidence to do so.
    It is quite true that this is likely to be just a holding charge (and they needed a serious one). But the evidence thing means the process is quite complex. By virtue of PACE, in formal interview under caution, in order to be allowed to mount a defence properly, a suspect is entitled (and indeed must) be informed of the offence(s) of which he is suspected. (I do not know whether the terrorism legislation impacts upon that right though.) Otherwise prosecution will fail.

It is for this reason that it is always a very bad idea indeed to agree to a "nice friendly chat with plod" either in your own home or down the nick. It is a common ploy and one no individual should have any truck with. The correct answer if so requested is always to refer the police to the response given in Arkell vs Pressdram (1971).

One should always insist upon saying nothing unless they arrest you on suspicion of committing an offence.

This, I think, is the main reason why so many suspects are released on police bail pending further investigation. In serious matters, of course, suspects will be remanded. But I doubt this individual will actually be interviewed until such time as all the evidential ducks are in a row and the appropriate charges formulated. But the police/CPS cannot add charges willy-nilly.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Apparently the police arrived on the scene within a few minutes of the call being made to them. (Or so was mentioned on the radio this morning)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

This is fair enough, Addicted. As for the problems that caused the latest attacks, I'd like to point to a couple of comments I've come across in the past:

1) http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72326/explosion-at-brussels-airport/p10
    It is wrong to say "ISIS are not Muslims" and it is extremely unhelpful to separate them from the religion. My tutor actually has spoken on national TV and written articles about this exact topic. He is a Shi'a Muslim and an academic, and he argues - quite correctly I think - that if you ignore the religious roots of the group then you cannot possible grasp the problem. Because their ideology, their beliefs and their objectives, are entirely religious. They fit within a framework that is Islamic (albeit a distinct brand of fundamental Islam) and their justifications are entirely theological.

If you disassociate them from Islam, then you have to explain their motives and actions by completely different terms. This is something you hear a lot: 'They just don't know how great Western culture is'. 'They are poor and marginalised so turn to violence.' 'They are responding to the US occupation of Iraq.' 'They are responding to European colonialism.' 'It is all about oil'. So on and so forth.

Some of those things have elements of truth - marginalisation, poverty and retribution certainly are causes as well. Yet the biggest cause, above anything else, is their religious belief. If you are an atheist like me, you can only truly understand this by imagining how you would see the world if you were a fundamentalist Muslim.

Once you do that, (and it requires a basic understanding of fundamental Islam that I don't have time to write here), then it all makes sense. It works the same for if you imagine you were a fundamental Christian - this might be easier to imagine.

If I believed that the world was going to end and I had to obey the law of the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful deity in order to reach eternal paradise, I'd do whatever the hell was needed to get on his good side. If that means killing people, why wouldn't I? This world is just a temporary, physical one. It's worth it for infinity in paradise. And they are non-believers anyway, they know nothing.

If that is how you see the world and that is how you understand it, then these acts of violence make sense. The whole Islamic State makes sense.
    2) https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/5wmsqz/cmv_islam_is_a_repugnant_religion_which_has_no/debcxmd/

-------

I'm never going to claim to be an authority on causes, but hopefully these are useful reads.

As for my initial comment - I concede it was inflammatory, but I didn't want to start an argument, rather create a dialogue, and I apologise for my flippancy.

@PaddyP17 , @Addickted
  • Options
    If there is one truism in law enforcement it is that eyewitness testimony is shockingly unreliable. Enforcement agencies make especial endeavour to find plenty of other evidence to support a case.

More here https://scientificamerican.com/article/do-the-eyes-have-it/

And see how you do in this test on counting basketball passes.

https://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo
  • Options
    @PaddyP17 , @Addickted , @C_Jensens_Love_Child: Think we need to focus on an attack on London and it's citizens, be they of whatever creed or cast. Communities are what they are:communities. No need to say if they're black or white, Islam or Christian or Jewish or atheist - there's no room in this world for hate-mongers from any corner of the world. Many people have been born in this country with Islam as their reliegon, as have many Christians. The vast majority of the country is athiest. Let each go about their lives in peace.