Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Holmes

Comments

• Think he will stay with an improved and extended contract.

Depends how improved his new contract offer is though. The timing of this is not too clever. Charlton offer him a contract and a week later Sheff Utd make a bid. Maybe it's not as improved as Daisy likes to think.
  • edited May 2017
    Do we know for sure whether he has signed one or not? Surely if he had they would've told us? Could be a nice bargaining chip for Holmes if he hasn't signed yet.
  • A win win scenario for Holmes.
  • I'll give him a clap if he returns to The Valley.
  • Do we know for sure whether he has signed one or not? Surely if he had they would've told us? Could be a nice bargaining chip for Holmes if he hasn't signed yet.

He wouldn't have signed a new deal yet otherwise Sheffield Utd wouldn't have bid, they would know if he had. Also to submit an official bid they must be confident that he'd go there, confident they can agree terms and confident that we will sell. An official denial by us that he is not for sale is just so they can say later that they tried to hang on to him but he wanted to go, wouldn't sign a new deal and with only a year left they didn't want to lose him for nothing next year. He'll go, I'm convinced of that
  • If the club doesn't do everything in its power to keep him then it will confirm the complete lack of ambition that we all suspect. Forget the talk from Meire etc about wanting to keep him and improved contracts. The only thing that matters will be what happens.
  • edited May 2017
    It seems unlikely that the new contract offered a week ago has been signed but not announced and even more unlikely that Blades are unaware if this. Boils down to whether he wants to play for a basket case side in a L1 empty ground or a fullish stadium in 2nd tier chanting his name. Tricky one!
  • I fully expect to go, we know RD's MO is to buy cheap/free and then sell on and make a profit.

He is a sellable commodity there is no emotional attachment with RD's model.
  • Sponsored links:

• It seems unlikely that the new contract offered a week ago has been signed but not announced and even more unlikely that Blades are unaware if this. Boils down to whether he wants to play for a basket case side in a L1 empty ground or a fullish stadium in 2nd tier chanting his name. Tricky one!

I should think with him being 29 and what will be his last big payday the money length of contract will play a part
  • edited May 2017
    Has anyone an idea what we paid? Seem to recall £150k. I'd guess Blades would get him for £600+. Decent for a 1 in 3 winger with assists.
  • Do we know for sure whether he has signed one or not? Surely if he had they would've told us? Could be a nice bargaining chip for Holmes if he hasn't signed yet.

He wouldn't have signed a new deal yet otherwise Sheffield Utd wouldn't have bid, they would know if he had. Also to submit an official bid they must be confident that he'd go there, confident they can agree terms and confident that we will sell. An official denial by us that he is not for sale is just so they can say later that they tried to hang on to him but he wanted to go, wouldn't sign a new deal and with only a year left they didn't want to lose him for nothing next year. He'll go, I'm convinced of that
    Most probably the truth of the matter.
  • Bye Ricko
  • He'll be off. We'll struggle to replace him and we'll be stuck in a relegation battle next season
  • He'll be off. We'll struggle to replace him and we'll be stuck in a relegation battle next season

Fair point. His goals stopped us being in one last season.
  • I expect we've offered him a better contract but not as good as he (or his agent) had hoped for - so agent contacts Sheff U to discuss terms. They tell his agent what they will pay & then either they, or his agent, leak it to the press. Sheff U then contact CAFC to see what price we will take & here we are.............
  • They've thrown in Tony Currie as a part exchange - Katrien is all over it - Currie Night at The Valley with Lady T

Like when Arsenal bid £1 over Suarez's supposed release clause fee?

However you're right, this is Charlton. He'll be on his way soon.
  • Please dont go Ricky!
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

I'll give him a clap if he returns to The Valley.

I hope he gets the clap if he moves to Bramall Lane.
    Damn you that was my joke!
  • Swisdom said:

I have heard he has already signed a new contract.
    He is settled with us and knows he won't be able to be top dog wherever he may go. He knows with exception of Jacko and Solly he is the fan favourite and would be daft to lose that all.

Pretty reliable source so hopefully it's all good

Seems odd if he's signed but the club haven't announced.

Offered a deal and signed it are two different things.

I still think he'll stay.
  • Swisdom said:

He is settled with us and knows he won't be able to be top dog wherever he may go. He knows with exception of Jacko and Solly he is the fan favourite and would be daft to lose that all.

Will be announced 10 minutes before they announce that Konsa has signed for Liverpool.
  • Do we know he's definitely in the country? Could have agreed a deal but club waiting for pen on paper to announce?
  • I expect we've offered him a better contract but not as good as he (or his agent) had hoped for - so agent contacts Sheff U to discuss terms. They tell his agent what they will pay & then either they, or his agent, leak it to the press. Sheff U then contact CAFC to see what price we will take & here we are.............

yep. and I know full well the apologists of the regime will come out with the same bollox as they did for Yann. that he was being greedy and wanted to leave so Meire couldn't do anything about it.
  • mogodon said:

If the club doesn't do everything in its power to keep him then it will confirm the complete lack of ambition that we all suspect. Forget the talk from Meire etc about wanting to keep him and improved contracts. The only thing that matters will be what happens.

There is no doubting the Belgians complete lack of ambition.
  • Swisdom said:

Will be announced 10 minutes before they announce that Konsa has signed for Millwall.
    Think you got that one slightly wrong.

• Swisdom said:

Great news if it turns out to be true.

This - then unfortunately sold in January!