Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conversation with Katrien on Facebook - ground developments?

Comments

• The old terrace went back further, I assume the club sold off the land at the back in the 70s, so that the block of flats could be built?
  • The old terrace went back further, I assume the club sold off the land at the back in the 70s, so that the block of flats could be built?

yeah I think that was the case.
  • Maybe there are some safety issues with the Jimmy Seed stand but I can't believe it's in a worse state than say, Southend's ground.
  • wouldn't surprise me if during the summer KM, Tony and co have a go at the stand with sledgehammers

That's what I thought. Seems bigger in these photos.

imageimage
  • IT_Andy said:

Maybe there are some safety issues with the Jimmy Seed stand but I can't believe it's in a worse state than say, Southend's ground.

Anyone who has been in the away end at Fratton Park will tell you the Jimmy Seed stand is a haven of safety! In fact I'd go as far as say The JS Stand is luxury in comparison.
  • Our away end is a palace compared to Gillingham!
  • Just out of interest I looked at the league tables for the last few seasons. Even with Katrien's extra 12 points it would have made very little difference. We wouldn't have been relegated last season and we would have made the play-offs in 12/13 (in 3rd, just off the automatic spots). That's how average we've been, with the exception of the 11/12 season of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• This photo shows how far back the old terrace went, in comparison to the Covered End

Cheers. Strange that was never the traditional home end because of a lack of a roof (or before segregation?) Looks like it could have given the Kop and others a run for its money!
  • I think they sold off the top of the south terrace some time in the 60's.

I should think that the only problem the trees could cause is if the roots are growing under the stand and causing the ground to shift, but like others I wonder if this is a ruse to start building houses there.
  • I may be wrong but I believe Tim Cross used to work for the club didn't he? Ground staff or something.

I've seen him spouting off on Facebook so he is most definitely not an "apologist".
  • This photo shows how far back the old terrace went, in comparison to the Covered End

Cheers. Strange that was never the traditional home end because of a lack of a roof (or before segregation?) Looks like it could have given the Kop and others a run for its money!
    Started supporting in 66/67 and sure that the South terrace was as big as the East terrace.

• I mean as high as the East terrace.
  • The club sold one and half acres of land to the council during the 1967/68 season for £34,500. Sam Bartram Close and Valiant House were built on it, with the latter opening in late 1975. It was widely assumed, possibly unfairly, that the club's motive for covering the terrace (it wasn't seated initially) was to obscure the view from the new flats.
  • Swisdom said:

I may be wrong but I believe Tim Cross used to work for the club didn't he? Ground staff or something.

I've seen him spouting off on Facebook so he is most definitely not an "apologist".

He did, and he is not
  • Sponsored links:

• The club sold one and half acres of land to the council during the 1967/68 season for £34,500. Sam Bartram Close and Valiant House were built on it, with the latter opening in late 1975. It was widely assumed, possibly unfairly, that the club's motive for covering the terrace (it wasn't seated initially) was to obscure the view from the new flats.

Sounds unfair to me. How much would it cost to put a roof up compared to revenue saved from those who would otherwise watch from a towerblock?
  • I think the fans/supporters club funded a big part of the roof.
  • iaitch said:

I think the fans/supporters club funded a big part of the roof.

Perhaps the Trust can offer to cover the costs of redeveloping the end as Roland has incurred huge loses already pumping money onto the pitch, training ground, squad and manager contracts.
  • edited April 2017

The club sold one and half acres of land to the council during the 1967/68 season for £34,500. Sam Bartram Close and Valiant House were built on it, with the latter opening in late 1975. It was widely assumed, possibly unfairly, that the club's motive for covering the terrace (it wasn't seated initially) was to obscure the view from the new flats.

Less than we got for Billy Bonds

I wonder how much London land has increased in price, in comparison to footballers. I suspect both have gone up massively when compared to RPI!
  • Redrobo said:

Jon_CAFC_ said:

vff said:

How is the Jimmy Seed stand becoming unsafe exactly? If it was in any way an unsafe or unsound structure then no away supporters would be allowed in. It sounds like a pretext to move away supporters, so that they can sell / redevelop part of the ground for housing. Duchatelet wants his money back & will turn Charlton into the new Orient to do so. Their plan has got to be stopped.

I read somewhere recently that the council have concerns and ask repeatedly in safety conversations about the clubs plans to address the asbestos in the roof, iirc the club are taking a wait and see approach but concerns were noted about damage being caused by trees in the vicinity.

Sounds plausible to me that the closing of blocks in east west followed by moving of away fans is a softening up of then closing jimmy seed stand on safety grounds/cost to fix before some form of redevelopment
    The best way to deal with asbestos is to leave well alone.
    As long as it's intact and not likely to get disturbed.
    You mean like by a Nicky Bailey penalty?
  • Stig said:

The club sold one and half acres of land to the council during the 1967/68 season for £34,500. Sam Bartram Close and Valiant House were built on it, with the latter opening in late 1975. It was widely assumed, possibly unfairly, that the club's motive for covering the terrace (it wasn't seated initially) was to obscure the view from the new flats.

Sounds unfair to me. How much would it cost to put a roof up compared to revenue saved from those who would otherwise watch from a towerblock?
    It was more of a cynical comment on the way the club operated than a serious argument. A much worse transaction, in my opinion, was the sale of the land now occupied by houses on Valley Grove in (about) 1994 - understandable at the time, but the club could have recovered what it made many times over from parking charges in the Premier League, and built an easier access for coaches, etc.
  • So we're going to buy the best players from league one and then only have ambitions of reaching the playoffs with that squad?