Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sixties/seventies gigs in the Charlton, Bromley area

Comments

• Options

I saw Sweet at Greenwich Borough Hall when I was still at school, around 1973?

I was there too!! Great gig and band
  • Options
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_pgn=1&isRefine=false&_nkw=american rock n roll uk tours

Here are two cracking books about US Artists and UK tours 60's & 70's by our very own Ian Wallis , Chair of Bromley Addicks.

Not saying Ebay is the best place to buy them but this lists them both.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Essex_Al said:

Desmond Dekker & The Israelites - Lewisham Odeon

Labi Siffre - Lewisham Odeon

Plenty of Ben Sherman's, Crombies, and two tone suits at the DD gig!

Labi Siffre played the Tudor Barn Eltham Well Hall in the seventies too. I remember fielding and listening to his set at Thames Poly Cricket Club.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Can't believe no ones mentioned Quo at the Welcome Inn or Faces, Bonzo Dog Do Da Band and Drifters at the Black Prince late 60's early 70's :wink: .

Edit; Think I also saw the Coloured Raisins and The Eagles (no not Palarse, they were the Glaziers then) at either of the two aforementioned venues.
  • Options
    In the sixties see Yardbirds (inc Eric Clapton) at Greenwich town hall, Steam Packet (Inc Rod Stewart & Long John Baldry) at Sheakspear Hotel Woolwich, also Spencer Davis Group at that venue. The Who at Eltham Baths, and loads of acts at the Black Prince, Bexley.
  • Options

In the sixties see Yardbirds (inc Eric Clapton) at Greenwich town hall, Steam Packet (Inc Rod Stewart & Long John Baldry) at Sheakspear Hotel Woolwich, also Spencer Davis Group at that venue. The Who at Eltham Baths, and loads of acts at the Black Prince, Bexley.

Yea but I ain't jealous. :neutral:
  • Options
    @Viewfinder

Is your memory right about the St Dunstan's gigs? Because for sure I remember Argent playing there (they were my favourite band at the time, I could not believe my luck), and it was the first time such an event had been sanctioned. It was a very big deal. And I am pretty sure the following year was Audience.

Anyway I was a Black Prince regular. Stray my favourite band by the time I could get in there under-age, but also saw Mott the Hoople, Status Quo and Thin Lizzy. Always had to go to the Croydon Greyhound to catch Wishbone Ash. Saw Free at the Lyceum, that was wild. Recently got a live Free album and it still sounds fresh and razor sharp.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I climbed the fence at the Crystal Palace Bowl one time and saw the Faces. Rod Stewart was the singer as it were rather than Rod Stewart as the front man.
    This was the line up, and they were brilliant. London style brilliant if you know what I mean.

Kenney Jones
    Ronnie Lane
    Ian McLagan
    Rod Stewart
    Ronnie Wood

They were like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqF0qBqzZo
  • Options

@Viewfinder

Is your memory right about the St Dunstan's gigs? Because for sure I remember Argent playing there (they were my favourite band at the time, I could not believe my luck), and it was the first time such an event had been sanctioned. It was a very big deal. And I am pretty sure the following year was Audience.

Anyway I was a Black Prince regular. Stray my favourite band by the time I could get in there under-age, but also saw Mott the Hoople, Status Quo and Thin Lizzy. Always had to go to the Croydon Greyhound to catch Wishbone Ash. Saw Free at the Lyceum, that was wild. Recently got a live Free album and it still sounds fresh and razor sharp.

Mott at the Black Prince!?!!!

Fuck, how did I miss that, one of my favourite bands.
  • Options
    Wow some great stuff here. Funnily enough I saw Argent at Kent university (I was at school in Canterbury) by fell asleep. I only liked Hold Your Head up I think.
    Never saw Mott. Wish I had.
    I'm surprised we don't have any Bowie gigs as he was a Bromley-ite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    UFO @ Bromley Technical college, also saw Sassafras and Climax Blues Band and Cozy Powell at the same venue.
  • Options
    Lindisfarne (minus Alan Hull) played Thames Poly c 1973.
  • Options
    Possibly my favourite psych band of the 60s is Kaleidoscope - the London band who became Fairfield Parlour. Active from the mid 60s to the early 70s - their guitarist - Eddie Pumer - was from Woolwich. Anyone ever see them or know of them?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleidoscope_(UK_band)

• Options
    Saw Colin Blunstone @ Bromley Technical college.
  • Options
    Skatelites in Catford somewhere (Witchdoctor?). Canned Heat at Lewisham Odean.
  • Options
    I and 4 mates wandered into a pub on the South Circular near Burnt Ash Hill in 1971 (ish) and joined half a dozen other drinkers. A familiar sound started up as a lone guy started his one man act. It was a very good impression of Crispian St Peters - primarily because it was him.

He had had two top ten hits with ‘You were on my mind’ and ‘Pied Piper’. If the pop business could make a star over night it could most certainly also drop them.

I have just googled and found that he was a lifelong resident of Swanley and played professionally until 1999 - when he played with the Fortunes in Dartford. He was desperately unlucky with his health, but performed for 50 years through the love of his art and I admire that.

From the internet ...

Crispian’s astounding fame and unbelievable talent spread around the world, where he was met by screaming fans in every country he visited. His self penned songs were written with true emotion and when performing he sang with such feeling and a natural professionalism that left his audiences wanting more, unable to believe the overwhelming talent and charisma that oozed from this remarkable man with the wonderful voice.

Over the years Crispian suffered 3 nervous breakdowns, a divorce, a major stroke, Pneumonia and then Emphysema. In a conversation with his record company in 2010 as chirpy as usual he said “ I have just come out of hospital again, I am on permanent oxygen and can’t walk. The good news is though, I have given up smoking those big cigars”.
    Crispian died in 2010. RIP.
  • Options

@Viewfinder

Prague - I had forgotten that we are both Old Dunstonians; I was there from 1967 to 72. Some of my friends liked Argent and Audience, and you have probably explained how they had come to see them. I'm not certain of the dates, but Atomic Rooster and Sutherland Brothers & Quiver may have played there in 71 and 72.

• Options
    My first pop concert was Del Shannon at the cinema in Woolwich; a guess would be about 1962. Followed would the Rolling Stones at the same venue a short time after DS. Also saw The Beatles, Gerry/Pacemakers and Roy Orbison, all on the same concert, about 1964 (?).
  • Options

That was the first gig I ever went to!! I was 12 years old at the time and my dad took me. My second gig was 10CC at Greenwich Borough Hall a few months later
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

My first pop concert was Del Shannon at the cinema in Woolwich; a guess would be about 1962. Followed would the Rolling Stones at the same venue a short time after DS. Also saw The Beatles, Gerry/Pacemakers and Roy Orbison, all on the same concert, about 1964 (?).

Could you actually hear the Beatles or were they drowned out by all the screaming girls?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

PeterGage said:

Could you actually hear the Beatles or were they drowned out by all the screaming girls?
    JamesSeed said:

PeterGage said:

I went primarily to see Roy Orbison, who closed the first half, immediately prior to a "halftime" break in proceedings. Roy was partially drowned out by many of the audience, who were there to see The Beatles.

Nothing like the noise from the screaming of Beatles fans when they were on stage. Couldn't hear a thing!!
  • Options
    Bromley Court Hotel was THE place in the '60s

Hendrix
    Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart Band
    Cream
    Pink Floyd
    Steampacket
    Savoy Brown
    Fleetwood Mac
    John Mayall

and others I have forgotten about .. all played there before making it VERY big.
    I had a terrific conversation with Hendrix during his 'rest period' there, about a week before 'Hey Joe' got in the charts and JimmyMania took off

Mention also to the Mistral Club at Beckenham Junction and the Witchdoctor/Savoy in Catford

Saw Free, Desmond Decker, Ginger Baker's Airforce, Graham Bond, Alan Bown Set (Robert Palmer on vocals) at the Mistral club ..
    many many bands appeared at the Savoy who's members went on to find fame in other bands .. e.g. Roger Glover and Ian Gillan .. great days, NEVER to be repeated ..

Also Church and small Halls around Bromley/Beckenham/Downham/Catford where 'The Herd' played regularly (great band) .. had many a laugh and chat with Peter Frampton and other 'boys in the band'
  • Options
    I seem to recall Brinsley Scwartz were launched with a huge amount of publicity to make them the next Beatles/Stones. An American tour was one of their first gigs. It all went wrong, and within a couple of years they were playing London pubs. They were regulars at "The Kensington" around Holland Park, opposite my bed sit. They were always brilliant and their closing number of "Brown Sugar" was as good, if not better, than the Stones. Overall, I think they did OK, more successful than the average pub band, but no Beatles or Stones

Once planned to see the Stones at the Montague Social Club (or was it the Montrose?) in Hurst Road, Sidcup. My mate wasn't prepared to pay 2/6 (12 1/2p) to get in, so we went to Station Hotel, by Sidcup Station, instead. 1/7 a pint for Beasley's Best Bitter, God knows what their worst bitter was like. Happy days, kids today don't know what they've missed, (yes, you're right, not a lot).
  • Options

I and 4 mates wandered into a pub on the South Circular near Burnt Ash Hill in 1971 (ish) and joined half a dozen other drinkers. A familiar sound started up as a lone guy started his one man act. It was a very good impression of Crispian St Peters - primarily because it was him.

He had had two top ten hits with ‘You were on my mind’ and ‘Pied Piper’. If the pop business could make a star over night it could most certainly also drop them.

I have just googled and found that he was a lifelong resident of Swanley and played professionally until 1999 - when he played with the Fortunes in Dartford. He was desperately unlucky with his health, but performed for 50 years through the love of his art and I admire that.

From the internet ...

Crispian’s astounding fame and unbelievable talent spread around the world, where he was met by screaming fans in every country he visited. His self penned songs were written with true emotion and when performing he sang with such feeling and a natural professionalism that left his audiences wanting more, unable to believe the overwhelming talent and charisma that oozed from this remarkable man with the wonderful voice.

Over the years Crispian suffered 3 nervous breakdowns, a divorce, a major stroke, Pneumonia and then Emphysema. In a conversation with his record company in 2010 as chirpy as usual he said “ I have just come out of hospital again, I am on permanent oxygen and can’t walk. The good news is though, I have given up smoking those big cigars”.
    Crispian died in 2010. RIP.

I saw him one Saturday night at the Hither Green Rail club in Beacon Rd in the eighties.
  • Options
    Labbi Sifri at the Spotted Cow.
  • Options

@Viewfinder

Prague - I had forgotten that we are both Old Dunstonians; I was there from 1967 to 72. Some of my friends liked Argent and Audience, and you have probably explained how they had come to see them. I'm not certain of the dates, but Atomic Rooster and Sutherland Brothers & Quiver may have played there in 71 and 72.

A R were originally the 'Crazy World' backing crazy Arthur Brown .. and poor old Vincent Crane, a fine musician DID eventually go REALLY crazy

https://youtu.be/L53aTgZ8B3Y

• Options
    lungrot said:

That was the first gig I ever went to!! I was 12 years old at the time and my dad took me. My second gig was 10CC at Greenwich Borough Hall a few months later
    My first gig too!! Age 14!! Spent a lot of time in the late 1970's and early 80's at The Bridge House, Canning Town or Hammersmith Odeon. Lost count of who i saw play.
  • Options

lungrot said:

My first gig too!! Age 14!! Spent a lot of time in the late 1970's and early 80's at The Bridge House, Canning Town or Hammersmith Odeon. Lost count of who i saw play.
    Definitely not near Bromley/Charlton though :-(
    I played at The Bridge House in '78. Fortunately it was fairly empty.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Yeah, i bought Valentyne Suite too (probably on the back of the gig), I would have it now if it wasnt for my ex deciding to burn all my vinyls !

I was trying to think of the big booming front man they had and all i could think of was Joe Cocker , but of course it was Chris Farlowe.
    I notice they were still touring until 2015.
    James Litherland was the singer?
    I think you were right re the recorded song on Valentyne Suite - here is Elegy from much later which has Chris Farlowe - a much different sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrTeEt0RzI