Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sixties/seventies gigs in the Charlton, Bromley area

Comments

• Options
    Great thread and my era. The Rolling Stones played St Michael's Hall at Bell Green in Sydenham, but I was considered too young to go (Bill Wyman was from Sydenham). Got to see some of the Pink Floyd concert at Crystal Palace in 1971. Also had a day at the BBC Radio One club in 1969 (I think) and saw Status Quo do 'Pictures of Matchstick men' live - big hit at the time. All great memories.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Yeah, i bought Valentyne Suite too (probably on the back of the gig), I would have it now if it wasnt for my ex deciding to burn all my vinyls !

I was trying to think of the big booming front man they had and all i could think of was Joe Cocker , but of course it was Chris Farlowe.
    I notice they were still touring until 2015.
    James Litherland was the singer?
    I think you were right re the recorded song on Valentyne Suite - here is Elegy from much later which has Chris Farlowe - a much different sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svrTeEt0RzI
    Wow, completely different. But good.
  • Options
    Anyone remember Steve Maxted the DJ?
    Probably the first DJ to do a 'show'
  • Options

Never saw him, but remember my brother telling me how he used to stick pins through his face. Made me feel sick.

http://www.djwildonevinyl.co.uk/
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Great thread and my era. The Rolling Stones played St Michael's Hall at Bell Green in Sydenham, but I was considered too young to go (Bill Wyman was from Sydenham). Got to see some of the Pink Floyd concert at Crystal Palace in 1971. Also had a day at the BBC Radio One club in 1969 (I think) and saw Status Quo do 'Pictures of Matchstick men' live - big hit at the time. All great memories.

A former ITN soundman called Alan Florence was the engineer on Matchstick men.
    The use of phasing was pretty innovative at the time. Or so he kept telling me!
  • Options
    When did the Tramshed in Woolwich begin holding gigs?
  • Options

When did the Tramshed in Woolwich begin holding gigs?

Early/mid seventies Joe Stead performed and hosted folk nights with performers like Harvey Andrews and Derek Brimstone amongst others and it grew from there to the likes of Hale and Pace.

I'd estimate 1973.
  • Options

lungrot said:

I saw Sweet at Greenwich Borough Hall when I was still at school, around 1973?

I was there too!! Great gig and band
    That was the first gig I ever went to!! I was 12 years old at the time and my dad took me. My second gig was 10CC at Greenwich Borough Hall a few months later
    My first gig too!! Age 14!! Spent a lot of time in the late 1970's and early 80's at The Bridge House, Canning Town or Hammersmith Odeon. Lost count of who i saw play.
    RDB (Remus Down Boulevard ) and Dogwatch used to play the Bridge House in the mid seventies.
  • Options

I and 4 mates wandered into a pub on the South Circular near Burnt Ash Hill in 1971 (ish) and joined half a dozen other drinkers. A familiar sound started up as a lone guy started his one man act. It was a very good impression of Crispian St Peters - primarily because it was him.

He had had two top ten hits with ‘You were on my mind’ and ‘Pied Piper’. If the pop business could make a star over night it could most certainly also drop them.

I have just googled and found that he was a lifelong resident of Swanley and played professionally until 1999 - when he played with the Fortunes in Dartford. He was desperately unlucky with his health, but performed for 50 years through the love of his art and I admire that.

From the internet ...

Crispian’s astounding fame and unbelievable talent spread around the world, where he was met by screaming fans in every country he visited. His self penned songs were written with true emotion and when performing he sang with such feeling and a natural professionalism that left his audiences wanting more, unable to believe the overwhelming talent and charisma that oozed from this remarkable man with the wonderful voice.

Over the years Crispian suffered 3 nervous breakdowns, a divorce, a major stroke, Pneumonia and then Emphysema. In a conversation with his record company in 2010 as chirpy as usual he said “ I have just come out of hospital again, I am on permanent oxygen and can’t walk. The good news is though, I have given up smoking those big cigars”.
    Crispian died in 2010. RIP.

For a while probably about 1970 Crispian St Peters played regularly in the Royal Eltham pub on Coldharbour Estate in Mottingham.

This was only 4 or 5 years after he had he been in the top ten.

To this day if I ever hear the song Pied Piper I think of this.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Yep, sure do at the Fox Under the Hill, Shooters Hill Road and Savoy Catford. Used to be claret every where when he got it wrong sticking hat plns in his face.

I googled him the other week and he's still about. Here you go @Baldybonce http://www.djwildonevinyl.co.uk

Edit; Just noticed @Raith_C_Chattonell already posted the same link above so here's another one https://ukwindsurfing.com/profiles/steve_maxted :blush:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I and 4 mates wandered into a pub on the South Circular near Burnt Ash Hill in 1971 (ish) and joined half a dozen other drinkers. A familiar sound started up as a lone guy started his one man act. It was a very good impression of Crispian St Peters - primarily because it was him.

He had had two top ten hits with ‘You were on my mind’ and ‘Pied Piper’. If the pop business could make a star over night it could most certainly also drop them.

I have just googled and found that he was a lifelong resident of Swanley and played professionally until 1999 - when he played with the Fortunes in Dartford. He was desperately unlucky with his health, but performed for 50 years through the love of his art and I admire that.

From the internet ...

Crispian’s astounding fame and unbelievable talent spread around the world, where he was met by screaming fans in every country he visited. His self penned songs were written with true emotion and when performing he sang with such feeling and a natural professionalism that left his audiences wanting more, unable to believe the overwhelming talent and charisma that oozed from this remarkable man with the wonderful voice.

Over the years Crispian suffered 3 nervous breakdowns, a divorce, a major stroke, Pneumonia and then Emphysema. In a conversation with his record company in 2010 as chirpy as usual he said “ I have just come out of hospital again, I am on permanent oxygen and can’t walk. The good news is though, I have given up smoking those big cigars”.
    Crispian died in 2010. RIP.

For a while probably about 1970 Crispian St Peters played regularly in the Royal Eltham pub on Coldharbour Estate in Mottingham.

This was only 4 or 5 years after he had he been in the top ten.

To this day if I ever hear the song Pied Piper I think of this.
    Thanks BD I've just googled that pub and that is definitely where I saw him too.

Geography was never my strong point ... nor memory for that matter.
  • Options
    Reading about Steve Maxted reminded me of another DJ who I used to see at the Black Bull Lewisham back in the early 70's called 'Wild Walt Brown' he used props and costumes acting out tunes he played. I think he came from the Rayners Park area. Anyone remember him.
  • Options

lungrot said:

I saw Sweet at Greenwich Borough Hall when I was still at school, around 1973?

I was there too!! Great gig and band
    That was the first gig I ever went to!! I was 12 years old at the time and my dad took me. My second gig was 10CC at Greenwich Borough Hall a few months later
    My first gig too!! Age 14!! Spent a lot of time in the late 1970's and early 80's at The Bridge House, Canning Town or Hammersmith Odeon. Lost count of who i saw play.
    RDB (Remus Down Boulevard ) and Dogwatch used to play the Bridge House in the mid seventies.
    The Dogwatch drummer is a season ticket holder and regular poster on Charlton Life.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I've just discovered this photo of Jimmy Seed's concertina band. I'm beyond excited.

I doubt if they ever played in the Bromley area, but at least two of the brothers were born in Snodland. Not Jimmy of course.

c.1910
    Clockwise from top left:
    Angus Seed
    John Seed
    Alexander Seed
    Jimmy Seed

I think this was from the photo shoot for their debut album 'Four Seeds'.

I don't know who played the clarinet!?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I've just discovered this photo of Jimmy Seed's concertina band. I'm beyond excited.

I doubt if they ever played in the Bromley area, but at least two of the brothers were born in Snodland. Not Jimmy of course.

c.1910
    Clockwise from to left:
    Angus Seed
    John Seed
    Alexander Seed
    Jimmy Seed

I think this was from the photo shoot for their debut album 'Four Seeds'.

I don't know who played the clarinet!?

"Take That? We sh*t 'em"
  • Options
    forgot to mention .. 'The Who' at the Witchdoctor/Savoy in the late 60s, they were VERY poor, stoned/pissed and mostly just did bad covers of Beach Boys songs .. not the great band they later became .. Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers at the same place

and 'The Nice' featuring the late, great Keith Emerson on Hammond .. at the Mistral, Beckenham Junction

anyone ever go to the huge ballroom, the 'Purley Orchid' ? .. down the road a bit but good for American soul/Tamla groups in the 60s, same as the 'Croydon Suite'
  • Options

forgot to mention .. 'The Who' at the Witchdoctor/Savoy in the late 60s, they were VERY poor, stoned/pissed and mostly just did bad covers of Beach Boys songs .. not the great band they later became .. Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers at the same place

and 'The Nice' featuring the late, great Keith Emerson on Hammond .. at the Mistral, Beckenham Junction

anyone ever go to the huge ballroom, the 'Purley Orchid' ? .. down the road a bit but good for American soul/Tamla groups in the 60s, same as the 'Croydon Suite'

Briefly played in a band with Brian 'Blinky' Davison on drums. Lovely bloke. Stayed at my flat for a couple of weeks. But he suddenly sold his drum kit, bought a motorbike, and headed off to India.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Briefly played in a band with Brian 'Blinky' Davison on drums. Lovely bloke. Stayed at my flat for a couple of weeks. But he suddenly sold his drum kit, bought a motorbike, and headed off to India.
    interesting life you've had JS .. Davison died quite young if memory serves .. in 'those days' of course most everyone was a hippy, either real or pretend ((:>)
  • Options
    My mum worked in the Woolwich Odeon in the 60's and managed to get tickets for the gigs played in Lewisham Odeon. I saw a load of bands but I most remembered were Freddie & the dreamers, Hermans Hermits, Gene Pitney, Tom Jones (it's not unusual), Cliff Richard. There were always quite a few bands on on one night and I've been told I saw Cream there and the Beatles (I don't remember seeing them).
    Someone mentioned the ? Tavern in Downham. I used to go there quite a bit and watch one band called Stone Cold Sober. They were alright but their encore was worth the wait: You Won't Get Fooled Again followed by Free Bird.
    They played down the tram shed but the sound from the lead guitarist went up into the rafters and could barely hear it.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

My mum worked in the Woolwich Odeon in the 60's and managed to get tickets for the gigs played in Lewisham Odeon. I saw a load of bands but I most remembered were Freddie & the dreamers, Hermans Hermits, Gene Pitney, Tom Jones (it's not unusual), Cliff Richard. There were always quite a few bands on on one night and I've been told I saw Cream there and the Beatles (I don't remember seeing them).
    Someone mentioned the ? Tavern in Downham. I used to go there quite a bit and watch one band called Stone Cold Sober. They were alright but their encore was worth the wait: You Won't Get Fooled Again followed by Free Bird.
    They played down the tram shed but the sound from the lead guitarist went up into the rafters and could barely hear it.

The Saxon tavern.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:

The Downham Tavern? last gig i saw there was Fields Of The Nephilim
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Used to go Saxon Tavern when Del Stevens was a DJ there.
  • Options
    Badger said:

me to.
  • Options
    Badger said:

rings a bell
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Saxon Tavern is the one. Bloody hell my memory is getting worse as I get older. I thought you could only remember the old stuff but loose your short term memory. I think I'm loosing both :0) And that's unfair!
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

interesting life you've had JS .. Davison died quite young if memory serves .. in 'those days' of course most everyone was a hippy, either real or pretend ((:>)
    It was '78 when I knew him. He ended up teaching music at Exeter Uni. I think he died in around 2008?
  • Options

Badger said:

me to.
    And me.

First proper gig was Judas Priest at Thames Poly, '76 I think.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

cafc-west said:

I believe phasing had been used on the Small Faces Itchycoo Park the previous year.
    No idea who the engineer was. Glyn Johns?
  • Options
    My older brother saw Jimi Hendrix at the Bromley Court Hotel I believe.And does anyone remember a free festival for "Famine in India" concert,at Queens Meadow in Shortlands in the 60s?.An early Live Aid.Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac fame played apparently.The Hippies who organised the event got enough to money to send supplies to India,my brother hitched a ride.When they landed in India ,the Indian authorities said "Thanks for the supplies , we'll distribute them,but you hippies can piss off".So my brother spent a few hours in India.He brought a Kaftan coat that smelt the house out!.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

cafc-west said:

I believe phasing had been used on the Small Faces Itchycoo Park the previous year.
    No idea who the engineer was. Glyn Johns?
    Ha, what a cheek. I'm sure Alan said it was all his idea. But you're right, Itchycoo Park came out a couple of years earlier.