Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coventry v Charlton | Fri 14 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Coventry City v Charlton Athletic
Good Friday … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Handley (Lancashire)

Introduction

Despite the excitement yesterday that confirmed a potential change of ownership we must remember (however much we don’t want to) that the football season is still on going and that there are a handful of matches left to play before the 2016/17 season can be boxed up and locked in a room that must never be opened again.

This Saturday we travel to face a side where permanent links between fans appear to have been created, Coventry City are pretty much relegated, four wins from their last four games wont even save them if other sides manage a single point… So its down to us, to stand alongside the Coventry fans in protest at the ownership of our two clubs, yet on the field we may be the side forced to relegate our new friends.

Football can be a cruel game at times.

The Opposition
Name: Coventry City | Manager: Mark Robins
Ground: Ricoh Arena

Its feels a lifetime ago when you hear the names such as Highfield Road and Peter Ndlovu leading the line… After a long drop down the Division it appeared last season as though the Sky Blue Ship had been steadied and a promotion attempt was on the cards, sadly that wasn’t to be the case and a mid-table finish was all Coventry could achieve under Tony Mowbray.

This season though the complete opposite has occurred… Now on to their third Manager of the season in Mark Robins, none of the previous appointments could save Coventry from pending relegation with Mowbray sacked in September and ex-Charlton boss Russell Slade sacked in March. Ultimately the difference between this year and the last is their inability to replace Striker: Adam Armstrong who had joined on loan from Newcastle, proving just how important it is to find a goal-scorer amongst your ranks… Relegation to League Two is all but confirmed, lets just hope the slide stops now and that the Coventry fans can have their own bit of good news when it comes to the ownership of the club.

Charlton Team News
We’ve only picked up three wins this calendar year but in recent games there have been huge question marks as to why Jay Dasilva hasn’t appeared more often, the on-loan Chelsea youngster has certainly impressed in recent weeks and am sure many will watch his career with interested – In addition we’ve had the returning Jason Pearce to help guide the back line and with a win coming against Southend you’d expect the majority of the squad to remain unchanged.

When (if) safety is confirmed though, there will be questions asked about certain youth players being tried and tested such as Ahearne-Grant or Dijksteel asking Karl Robinson why new players are needed in certain positions when we potentially have them within our ranks already.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Crofts
Byrne | Konsa | Ulvestad | Holmes
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Teixeira | Chicksen | Watt | Botaka | Jackson | Forster-Caskey

Comments

• Options
    0-2 to the mighty addicks
  • Options
    The best result would be for both clubs to get new owners in the coming weeks.

1.1 draw
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Back to 1-1 draws
  • Options
    Can't see beyond another 1 -1 draw.
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    any idea how many tickets we've sold ? I'm going with Golfie Jnr & have just booked a parking space in one of the car parks - looks like spaces are going fast as there appears to be no room in car parks A & B, which are part of the Arena complex - we are in car park C which is over the main road & accessed by a footbridge or subway, Cost is £10 which is pretty steep, but it appears that there is no other off street parking within walking distance.
  • Options

any idea how many tickets we've sold ? I'm going with Golfie Jnr & have just booked a parking space in one of the car parks - looks like spaces are going fast as there appears to be no room in car parks A & B, which are part of the Arena complex - we are in car park C which is over the main road & accessed by a footbridge or subway, Cost is £10 which is pretty steep, but it appears that there is no other off street parking within walking distance.

really? last time we went we parked about a ten minute walk away. Thanks for the offer of a lift btw :-((
  • Options
    Any pay on the day for this one?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    It'd be totally bonza if we could slip 2 past their wicket keeper, while batting every ball away without any dropped wickets of our own.

Crikey what's happened to this fella?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Coventry go 2 down just before half time. Home crowd invade pitch and stage a sit down protest against their owners. Game called off by the referee at 4:30
  • Options
    For all the stick he got in the first couple months, it feels like Jay DaSilva is one of the first names on the teamsheet now.

Also, Jake Forster-Caskey will come good at some point, mark my words.
  • Options

really? last time we went we parked about a ten minute walk away. Thanks for the offer of a lift btw :-((
    Brotherly love eh, who said blood was thicker than water :smirk: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

If last week is anything to go by I expect Large to go on the protest march , not to go to the game afterwards & sit in my car waiting for us to get back & drive him home.
  • Options
    hope the game is called off, would be embarassing for there owners and ours alike.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

If last week is anything to go by I expect Large to go on the protest march , not to go to the game afterwards & sit in my car waiting for us to get back & drive him us all home.
    amended for you ;-)

• Options
    edited April 2017
    One of my very favourite away days was at Coventry, that beautiful 3-2 victory in the cup. Seems like a lifetime away for both us and Coventry but you never know, maybe we'll kangaroo-hop our way back to those heights again one day.

Been buzzing about tomorrow for weeks. That's because, rather than sitting through a turgid kick around between two clubs who've been disgracefully mismanaged by people who have no interest or understanding in what it means to support a football club, let alone how to run one, I'm off on holiday. I'm heading to sunnier climbs to make friends, maybe even lovers*, and bore the shit out them all by going on and on and on about how wonderful Chris Powell is and then not leaving them alone until they've vowed to wipe their jacksy on a picture of Roland Duchatelet before they go to bed every night.

By the time I climb out of the great iron bird (that's the plane, not one of my lovers) the action at the Ricoh will be done and dusted. I'd be delighted to hear that the match was abandoned or severely disrupted but, failing that, another point closer to safety would do nicely. Whatever the scoreline, I'll just treasure the fact that I'm far enough away not to be able to hear the inane post-match waffling from that idiotic scouser.

Not back until a couple of days after the Swindon match (when I booked the holiday I wanted to make sure I would definitely be back in time for the play-offs, pffft!). It's been a truly hideous season, but it looks like there might be light at the end of the tunnel, let's hope so.

Spare a thought for Russell Slade tomorrow - if it wasn't for the points we accrued playing his hideous brand of anti-football then we'd be in deep, deep trouble by now.

*highly unlikely if the last 15 holidays I've been on are anything to go by.
  • Options
    Perhaps RD and KM are encouraging the talk of the takeover to stop demonstrations, just like she holds family days each home game
  • Options
    4-0 victory.

• Options
    It's a bit awkward that tomorrow isn't a dead rubber. If we were completely safe, and Coventry were already doomed, then off the pitch matters would be all that mattered.

Instead, we still desperately need the points...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've unfortunately lost my tickets for tomorrow. Fortunately the people at the club shop have confirmed that there will be a cash turnstile for away supporters tomorrow and there are a lot of spare seats.

• Options

I've unfortunately lost my tickets for tomorrow. Fortunately the people at the club shop have confirmed that there will be a cash turnstile for away supporters tomorrow and there are a lot of spare seats.

Well the ground holds 32000 so there should be space...
  • Options
    Drab end of season affair 5-5.
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this one, two nil to them.
  • Options
    0-2
  • Options
    Very sad match ahead for both teams who should both be doing so much better. Coventry will go all out for a win which will leave them open at the back. Entertaining 2-2 draw.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

One of my very favourite away days was at Coventry, that beautiful 3-2 victory in the cup. Seems like a lifetime away for both us and Coventry but you never know, maybe we'll kangaroo-hop our way back to those heights again one day.

Been buzzing about tomorrow for weeks. That's because, rather than sitting through a turgid kick around between two clubs who've been disgracefully mismanaged by people who have no interest or understanding in what it means to support a football club, let alone how to run one, I'm off on holiday. I'm heading to sunnier climbs to make friends, maybe even lovers*, and bore the shit out them all by going on and on and on about how wonderful Chris Powell is and then not leaving them alone until they've vowed to wipe their jacksy on a picture of Roland Duchatelet before they go to bed every night.

By the time I climb out of the great iron bird (that's the plane, not one of my lovers) the action at the Ricoh will be done and dusted. I'd be delighted to hear that the match was abandoned or severely disrupted but, failing that, another point closer to safety would do nicely. Whatever the scoreline, I'll just treasure the fact that I'm far enough away not to be able to hear the inane post-match waffling from that idiotic scouser.

Not back until a couple of days after the Swindon match (when I booked the holiday I wanted to make sure I would definitely be back in time for the play-offs, pffft!). It's been a truly hideous season, but it looks like there might be light at the end of the tunnel, let's hope so.

Spare a thought for Russell Slade tomorrow - if it wasn't for the points we accrued playing his hideous brand of anti-football then we'd be in deep, deep trouble by now.

*highly unlikely if the last 15 holidays I've been on are anything to go by.

One of my favourite ever games. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_cup/623681.stm
  • Options
    2-1
  • Options
    I work with lots of Cov fans, if the game is completed then I think we are back to drawing, 2-2 for me. However I'm not sure the game will finish!!