Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Time for a surge of false optimism. It's been a while since the last one.
  • Options
    Jamaican patty v Cornish pastie
  • Options
    Basic question. Has anyone got a feel for what the club would be worth in the Championship over League 1? Is the TV money much greater? Would it, for example, help to offset the £750k - £1m a month currently costing any owner?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

4-2-3-1 snaps finger and...back to the takeover thread...

As Bowyer & Jacko have sorted the playing side of things and is looking rosy, could RD Out’s tactics turn to supporting our dynamic duo to the nearest minimum on to promotion in order to reach his target price. This meaning the Bowyer and Jacko are shooting the ideal of the takeover in the foot?

4-2-3-1 snaps finger and...your back to Cornish pasties and the surreal amalgamation of Charlton Argyle...

• Options
    Higher wages will more than swallow that
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

An unintended bird pun there
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Gulp.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Gulp.
    You mean GULp
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Basic question. Has anyone got a feel for what the club would be worth in the Championship over League 1? Is the TV money much greater? Would it, for example, help to offset the £750k - £1m a month currently costing any owner?

TV money would be around £3m IIRC more and there should be a lift in ticket sales and maybe club sponsorship so maybe £4m to £6m, if being generous, more in income but wages would also rise (or at least players and agents would expect more and will in some cases have automatic rises built into their contracts).

Remember we lost something like £13m when we got relegated

So maybe an extra 500k per month income against the same £1m over spend = £0.5m a month and most of the sellable players (Fosu, Aribo, Grant, Page) out of contract so no Lookman to bail rrow-lun out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafc-west said:

TV money would be around £3m IIRC more and there should be a lift in ticket sales and maybe club sponsorship so maybe £4m to £6m, if being generous, more in income but wages would also rise (or at least players and agents would expect more and will in some cases have automatic rises built into their contracts).

So maybe an extra 500k per month income against the same £1m over spend = £0.5m a month and most of the sellable players (Fosu, Aribo, Grant, Page) out of contract so no Lookman to bail rrow-lun out.
    Thanks for this. So his cost cutting combined with a promotion (if it happens) might just be why he has sanctioned the players in (both loans and purchases). IF the club gains promotion then the price might go up a little - but it would make the club look like more of a going concern and there might be more takers. I fear that it is starting to look like we are stuck with Uncle Roly for the season...
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    cafc-west said:

Value goes back up to £18m (before you take off the £7m for directors loans) surely :blush:
  • Options
    edited September 2018

cafc-west said:

The increase in TV money is considerably more than that now. Although Charlton's "central income" fell from £5m to £1.8m between 2016 and 2017, following relegation, there was a £2m increase in the money paid to Championship clubs as "solidarity payments" at the same time, which we missed out on (there was a much smaller increase in L1)

According to the Swiss Ramble, Championship clubs now receive £7m-8m in central income - and the TV payments will go up again in 2019 as the FL deal has been renegotiated from £90m to £120m (of which Championship clubs get about 70%). That should be worth an extra £1m at Championship level.

I doubt if the ticket and commercial uplift would reach £3m, especially if you consider the extra costs. Charlton's commercial income was pretty static 2014-2017 despite relegation and matchday income was only £1.9m higher in 2015 than 2017.

Either you spend the extra revenue on the player wages or you are likely to get relegated, however - see Burton, MK Dons, Yeovil, etc.
  • Options

cafc-west said:

The increase in TV money is considerably more than that now. Although Charlton's "central income" fell from £5m to £1.8m between 2016 and 2017, following relegation, there was a £2m increase in the money paid to Championship clubs as "solidarity payments" at the same time, which we missed out on (there was a much smaller increase in L1)

According to the Swiss Ramble, Championship clubs now receive £7m-8m in central income - and the TV payments will go up again in 2019 as the FL deal has been renegotiated from £90m to £120m (of which Championship clubs get about 70%). That should be worth an extra £1m at Championship level.

I doubt if the ticket and commercial uplift would reach £3m, especially if you consider the extra costs.

Either you spend the extra revenue on the player wages or you are likely to get relegated, however - see Burton, MK Dons, Yeovil, etc.
    Didn't realise it was that much more. I stand corrected.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Surely it's being one division nearer the Premier league pot of gold which gives the biggest boost to value? Especially for a reasonably sized club with a realistic chance of promotion (as opposed to a Burton or Yeovil say)

Early doors of course, but both Sheffield United and Wigan are currently in the Championship top 6 at the moment, just 2 points behind Leeds. Both sides we've recently played in L1.
  • Options

cafc-west said:

Surely it's being one division nearer the Premier league pot of gold which gives the biggest boost to value? Especially for a reasonably sized club with a realistic chance of promotion (as opposed to a Burton or Yeovil say)

Early doors of course, but both Sheffield United and Wigan are currently in the Championship top 6 at the moment, just 2 points behind Leeds. Both sides we've recently played in L1.
    Good point. I think if you combine your point of being closer to the "promised land" with the increased revenue from TV money, ticket sales and (potentially) matchday revenue - against, of course, increased player costs. Together with our London location and the fact the ground is Championship/Prem quality plus the fact we have the Bowyer/Jacko/Gallen partnership and a decent team then, to me, it would make sense to invest a bit more in the team in January and go for it. I wonder if RD would see it like that...(huh). Think this season's competition for promotion in L1 also means we would have a good shot at it.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

cfgs said:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/profile/wightaddick

We are being bought by the people from an island, it is simply a lot smaller and closer than Australia, but it is in a southerly direction from Charlton.
    Ibiza?
    Bangin'!
    Eel Pie Island?

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

They are Plymouth directors. The grey-haired one is Michael Dunford, their chief executive.

So we are being bought by the Plymouth owners and will ground share at Home Park.

Huge potential to build a bigger stadium, large catchment area too.

Assume a merger as Charlton Argyle is the next logical and essential step.

You unicorn lovers will complain but we have to move to be successful in the premier league, there is no other way.

@Oggy Red and @charente addick will be happy.
    And you'll get more than 14 chips and a proper Cornish pasty.

you'd be the wrong side of the Tamar for that
    Good spot, Lincs.

Outside the ground, I believe they're Ivor Dewdney's pasties, made in Plymouth - so you'd be right, but I find them fine.
    Their bakery is only a mile or so from the border at the River Tamar, but by definition not quite Cornish.

Ginsters, who sponsor Argyle and whose pasties can be bought in the ground, are made in Callington in Cornwall - so at least qualify as "Cornish"
    But you don't want to be buying one of they, down here living in Cornwall, we regard them as factory produced supermarket fodder .... 'tis not a proper pasty, boy.

Rowes or even Warren's make a much better Cornish pasty, but I really like Chough's in Padstow, baked on the premises.
    http://www.thechoughbakery.co.uk/

Yep, Chough’s in Padstow the best I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a few :-))
    Going down to Bridport at the end of October and the pasties in the bakers there are fantastic.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    lolwray said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

They are Plymouth directors. The grey-haired one is Michael Dunford, their chief executive.

So we are being bought by the Plymouth owners and will ground share at Home Park.

You unicorn lovers will complain but we have to move to be successful in the premier league, there is no other way.

Good spot, Lincs.

Outside the ground, I believe they're Ivor Dewdney's pasties, made in Plymouth - so you'd be right, but I find them fine.
    Their bakery is only a mile or so from the border at the River Tamar, but by definition not quite Cornish.

Ginsters, who sponsor Argyle and whose pasties can be bought in the ground, are made in Callington in Cornwall - so at least qualify as "Cornish"
    But you don't want to be buying one of they, down here living in Cornwall, we regard them as factory produced supermarket fodder .... 'tis not a proper pasty, boy.

Rowes or even Warren's make a much better Cornish pasty, but I really like Chough's in Padstow, baked on the premises.

Chough's are very good, but I've had nice pasties all over Cornwall. Pasties in Padstow (like everything else there) are more expensive too!
    Presume it's pronounced chuff ...like the bird ...I once got chatting to a lady in north Wales who ran a bird sanctuary who told me with a straight face that she was longing to show me her chuff.

Ps hope this is a move away from pasties and to suggestive bird names
    Indeed pronounced "Chuff's". The Cornish chough is of course the emblem of Cornwall.

As it's 'bird post day' on this thread, I'll give you a link to click on while you're eating your lunch:
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/chough/cornish-choughs/
  • Options
    Hey. We're Charlton fans. Beyond robins is unnecessary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafc-west said:

I doubt if the ticket and commercial uplift would reach £3m, especially if you consider the extra costs. Charlton's commercial income was pretty static 2014-2017 despite relegation and matchday income was only £1.9m higher in 2015 than 2017.

In the 2017 accounts we lost about £1.6m in gate receipts following a fall in attendances of 4.5k. Commercial income stayed the same at £1.2m.

Attendance is down again this year and commercial revenue has probably taken a hit also. Hard to see it getting back to the same levels as before in the Championship, even with a takeover as people will have got out of the habit of going.

TV money drives everything. Squad costs would go up if we are promoted as I'm sure they all have clauses for increases if we are promoted. Hard to see a situation where we are breaking even in the championship unless we get gates up to a 20k average.
  • Options
    The Cornish pinch our pasty and show how backward they are by putting jam on before the cream.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2663754/Are-Cornish-pasties-really-Devon-New-book-claims-snack-invented-estate-border-counties.html
  • Options
    "Attendance is down again this year and commercial revenue has probably taken a hit also. Hard to see it getting back to the same levels as before in the Championship, even with a takeover as people will have got out of the habit of going."

Re attendances, it didn't help that Charlton played like shit for several years and got beaten a lot. Better this year thankfully.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

He’s had some great roles over the years. He’s he better Hercule Poirot than David Suchet, IMHO.

_MrDick said:

He’s had some great roles over the years. He’s he better Hercule Poirot than David Suchet, IMHO.

addick05 said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Good spot, Lincs.

Yep, Chough’s in Padstow the best I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a few :-))
    Going down to Bridport at the end of October and the pasties in the bakers there are fantastic.

In the High St?
  • Options
    Honestly believe any interested parties are now playing hard ball with Roland, which given his stubbornness will only end badly for the employees, players and supporters of Charlton.

We continue to wait.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!