Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wine thread

Comments

• Options
    Advice please although alcohol rather than wine related...

On holiday in Brittany and bought a bottle of Calvados from a local producer near to where we are staying. Popped it in the boot of the car in a bag with a few bottles of wine (lying on their side). Just went to get one of the wine bottles and the plastic sealing on the Calvados has broken and cork popped out so I have zero Calvados left and a boot stinking of Calvados.

My question is, do I go back to the producer and tell him? Is it my fault for not putting it in a more secure location in the car? Is Calvados the sort of drink where the cork would be expected to pop in the boot of a car?

I will probably not go back as I do not like those kind of awkward situations but it was a decent bottle which cost me more than I would usually pay... What would others do?
  • Options
    I'd lock myself in the boot and inhale
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Put the boot lining and any other porous material from the boot in a condenser type tumble drier.....when dry, pour out the remaining liquid from the container tray into a suitable carafe using a large plastic funnel (there's usually one knocking around in the garage somewhere), stir, chill and serve......to filter( if considered necessary), I recommend using an old pair of ladies tights, easily obtainable from your local charity shop.
    Serve with crab sticks.
    All in all, a relatively cheap and non labour intensive procedure, which will go some of the way in retrieving your losses.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm no afficianado and wouldn't have high hopes for a wine from Sainsbury's, but I bought two 2015 Languedoc reds (both Taste The difference) that I really like there recently, forget the exact price but about £8 each which I think is great value, and they have 25% of all wine this week if you buy six+ bottles. They are:

- PIC SAINT LOUP (dark red label, purple top) - Syrah & Grenache

- the other one just seems to be called LANGUEDOC (although in small faint print it says Village de Conas) - Grenach, Syrah & Carignan (cream label, purple top)

See what you think .....
  • Options
    I had some blue wine over the weekend...

www.pasionblue.com (with 1 's')
  • Options
    As you can guess I'm no expert, I like a bottle of red and that's that, what confuses me is letting it stand. Is there a definitive answer or do I give five and neck it, can anybody help a confused but friendly soul.
  • Options

As you can guess I'm no expert, I like a bottle of red and that's that, what confuses me is letting it stand. Is there a definitive answer or do I give five and neck it, can anybody help a confused but friendly soul.

It depends on the wine. Some reds, especially fruit driven new world wines, can be drunk pretty much on opening. If the tannin levels are high, though, more exposure to air will be very beneficial. I've had some reds that only became drinkable after being open for 24 hours.
    To speed up the process, try pouring the wine from a few inches above the glass to get some air into it (not elegant but it does work) or decant into another bottle. Once a glass has been poured from the bottle the surface area of the wine in the bottle is greater and the breathing process will be quicker.
    Generally if I want a decent red timed for dinner, I would open it a couple of hours in advance.

Or just get a long straw and blow bubbles through it

• Options
    Thanks idle I'll consider that and purely for research open a new one tonight.
  • Options
    Or for about a tenner you can get an aerator that will help. I've had some that smell completely different when you open the bottle compared to when it's aerated into a glass.

As said before I'll usually open at least an hour before a nice dinner (or decant it) if it's a decent one but if I'm just chilling I'll aerate and get it straight down me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers chaps
  • Options
    I drink (or get to taste) about 1000 wines per year.

Had one last night that was really good. Big, bold. Not trying to be sophisticated, just trying to taste good

2015 Turley Zinfandel "Juveniles."

Typically about $25, it's Turley's largest production Zin, made up from younger vines under 25 years old.

Don't know if it is available there, but it's the Turley wine most likely to be.
  • Options

Had one last night that was really good. Big, bold. Not trying to be sophisticated, just trying to taste good

Typically about $25, it's Turley's largest production Zin, made up from younger vines under 25 years old.

Don't know if it is available there, but it's the Turley wine most likely to be.

https://www.winedirect.co.uk/turley-wine-cellars-zinfandel-juvenile-2015
  • Options

@NapaAddick please tell me you don't mean 1000 bottles? 3 a day nearly!!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Just supping one of the best wines I have tasted for a while. Andreza Grande Reserva, 2013 from the Douro region. Full bodied, dark fruits, oak. Bloody lovely.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I bought a Vinturi aerator a few years back and take my word for it, this is no poncy gimmick, it really does work!
    Mine comes with an elegant stand on which you can safely stand a glass or decanter. It is stylish and sits very nicely on my kitchen worktop.
    They also make a hand held model that comes out at around £10......though for the extra cost I think you're better off with the stand model.
    I can thoroughly recommend.......they are readily available on line.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Just supping one of the best wines I have tasted for a while. Andreza Grande Reserva, 2013 from the Douro region. Full bodied, dark fruits oak. Bloody lovely.

Just ordered 6 bottles(€135) on your recommendation Perry.......I hope it's as good as you say.
    I love a good Muga or Imperial Gran Reserva......I have an idea from your description that this Andreza may be similar.
    It's coming direct from Portugal.......I can't wait.
    I wonder if it will be complimented by a chunk of Double Gloucester.....I'll shortly find out!
  • Options

Just supping one of the best wines I have tasted for a while. Andreza Grande Reserva, 2013 from the Douro region. Full bodied, dark fruits oak. Bloody lovely.

Just ordered 6 bottles(€135) on your recommendation Perry.......I hope it's as good as you say.
    I love a good Muga or Imperial Gran Reserva......I have an idea from your description that this Andreza may be similar.
    I wonder if it will be complimented by a chunk of Double Gloucester.....I'll shortly find out!
    Very jealous - can't afford it myself, it was a birthday gift for Karen last year. You will enjoy it!
  • Options
    Brancott Estate Sav Blanc this afternoon, was ok
  • Options

Brancott Estate Sav Blanc this afternoon, was ok

That's my opinion of it too. Ok, reasonable value when on offer, but a bit one dimensional.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017
    A vintage port would seem to be an obvious choice. One from the year of his birth, though I'm not sure how soon a 2017 would be available.

I used this site four or five years ago to find a birthday present for my then girlfriends nephew who was turning 18, and got a bottle of 1994 port in a very smart wooden box with opener and pourer. Wasn't tremendously expensive, but I'd have happily kept it for myself.http://vintagewineandport.co.uk/?gclid=CLab25Pn2dQCFcGT7QodZl4PkQ

Can't comment on the quality of the port as the then girlfriend is not a now girlfriend.
  • Options

What was the verdict SA£?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Very nice indeed Perry......right up there with my beloved Imperial Reserva.
    Found a new cheese recently called Lincoln Imp which went down perfectly, it's
    similar to a strong cheddar
    Downed an entire bottle a week or so back on a sunny Sunday afternoon on the sofa with Zuben (my Bull Terrier), crashed out about 5ish and came round about 10.00pm.
    A great way to finish off the week......thanks for the tip.
    Chin chin.....SoundAs.
  • Options
    Settling down to an England football game so let's have something nice to keep me company.
  • Options
    Waitrose 25% off three bottles in store until Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Very nice indeed Perry......right up there with my beloved Imperial Reserva.
    Found a new cheese recently called Lincoln Imp which went down perfectly, it's
    similar to a strong cheddar
    Downed an entire bottle a week or so back on a sunny Sunday afternoon on the sofa with Zuben (my Bull Terrier), crashed out about 5ish and came round about 10.00pm.
    A great way to finish off the week......thanks for the tip.
    Chin chin.....SoundAs.

Must get hold of this wine myself. I enjoy Douro wine.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    As we do on a Wednesday in sunny opulent Sidcup, we settle down with a nice glass of champers with our dinner.

Had Demi sec champagne for the first time. Much sweeter than champagne and for my delicate, feminine palette, most agreeable. N ver heard of it before, is it common?
  • Options

Settling down to an England football game so let's have something nice to keep me company.

I've got an Irish whisky here (Green spot), finished in barrels of Léoville Barton.