Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonatan Johansson

Comments

• Options
    After his injury he seemed to lose any pace he had. At times it was painful seeing him on the wing but he never hid. Overhead kick king, will always be fondly remembered.
  • Options
    Phew. I thought it was going to say he/family/friend, was somehow caught up in the terrorism in Stockholm.
  • Options

Must admit that after that initial purple patch before he got injured in the first season, I didn't rate him as highly as others - slow and easily pushed off the ball.

That said, he was head and shoulders above what we have these days!

Agreed - he was a bit powder puff - easily hustled off the ball - first season he was great - I think teams sussed him out after that

That goal against the Arse though - worth the transfer fee just for that
  • Options

Phew. I thought it was going to say he/family/friend, was somehow caught up in the terrorism in Stockholm.

I remember JJ was from Finland? Coaches in Sweden?
  • Options
    Played for Finland but was born in Sweden.
  • Options

One of those rare times (admittedly less rare under Curbs) that we got a player at just the right time in his career - he peaked with us and at his best he was a very good Premier League striker. Goals got a bit harder to come by after an quite prolific first season but he was also shifted out wide at times which didn't help. Not the most physically imposing player in the world but did pretty well in the air and was quick, he scored a lot of his goals off the shoulder of the last defender (shout out to all those lovely through balls from Claus Jensen). What I liked about JJ was he didn't mess around - if he got a chance he would invariably take it early before the keeper could set himself. And obviously got more than the odd overhead kick too - his two goals in this game were classic JJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47FilumlNyg

His song was "there's on one JJ", it speaks volumes for the regard in which he was held that even with Johnnie Jackson now a fully fledged club legend, he will always be Jacko and there is still only one JJ.

Great game, great goal.

A world away from life under this lot.
  • Options
    Loved JJ , so much so the kids named their goldfish after him, curbs said he was the best finisher at the club (at the time).
  • Options
    Great player. Used to love his trick he used to do warming up, running over the ball and flicking it over his head, always wished he could pull it off in a match. Can't remember why he wasn't as great towards the end of his career with us but I remember him coming back strong when we signed di canio, always thought di canio brought the best out in him and would make a good manager....
  • Options
    At 41, he'd walk into today's team and outplay the rest I'd wager....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still remember the look he gave me at a pre season match V Luton when there was a break in play and he took a swig of water and I shouted "you can't possibly be thirsty JJ , you've hardly moved since you came on!"

Started well but fell away and rarely looked like he was arsed after that first season. Defo had some talent though.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I still remember the look he gave me at a pre season match V Luton when there was a break in play and he took a swig of water and I shouted "you can't possibly be thirsty JJ , you've hardly moved since you came on!"

Started well but fell away and rarely looked like he was arsed after that first season. Defo had some talent though.

I see it as the opposite - he tried hard but had lost pace and confidence.
  • Options
    Pretty sure he scored two overhead kicks in one game. And the one from Coventry springs to mind. Was there one against West ham as well? Decent player.
  • Options
    I was excited when we signed Jonatan, became a fans favourite dispite not being prolific in front of goal
  • Options
    Loved him, absolutely loved him.
  • Options
    So underrated, so versatile. Typical Curbs player. Hard worker and an intelligent footballer and good finisher. I miss players like him.
  • Options
    For whatever reason I never took to him. Always felt things were never natural for him which in itself is probably a compliment to his work effort. I never felt confident of goals with him but he always seemed to pop up with them. I kind of get the impression Curbs felt the same.

Overall the sort of player that came to define that era. Not overly gifted but worked hard and will be remembered fondly.
  • Options
    Exceptional player. Quick. Intelligent. Good positional sense. 22 goals in full internationals too.

I think his scoring dropped off after 2002 because Curbishley shifted to a fairly cautious style of play, not because JJ dropped in form.

He was one of those players where I felt, if he was on the pitch, that however drab the play or quiet a game they were having with a sudden flick of the ball it might be 'game on' from the most mediocre of positions. He'd have a nondescript 88 minutes and then hit the post from an oblique angle out of nothing.

Di Canio was another like that.
  • Options
    Saw him in canary wharf a couple of times, very pleasent, good player in a good team....bigger than you think - very broad shouldered
  • Options

One of those rare times (admittedly less rare under Curbs) that we got a player at just the right time in his career - he peaked with us and at his best he was a very good Premier League striker. Goals got a bit harder to come by after an quite prolific first season but he was also shifted out wide at times which didn't help. Not the most physically imposing player in the world but did pretty well in the air and was quick, he scored a lot of his goals off the shoulder of the last defender (shout out to all those lovely through balls from Claus Jensen). What I liked about JJ was he didn't mess around - if he got a chance he would invariably take it early before the keeper could set himself. And obviously got more than the odd overhead kick too - his two goals in this game were classic JJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47FilumlNyg

His song was "there's on one JJ", it speaks volumes for the regard in which he was held that even with Johnnie Jackson now a fully fledged club legend, he will always be Jacko and there is still only one JJ.

That brings me back, though a number of familiar names with Euell getting two and Defoe getting his usual goal against us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of my favourite players during the premier league years. Absolute quality
  • Options
    Born in Sweden played for Finland.
  • Options
    Remember being very excited when he broke into the team (missed the start of the season through injury I believe). Was his first game away to Derby, live on Sky, where he and Jensen rescued a 2-2 draw for us? And his home debut was as a sub against Southampton, scoring fairly late on from an Andy Hunt flick on. And then he kept nicking important goals in wins against teams like Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal...

I remember being annoyed at the situation that we had Mendonca who was amazing - then got injured and had to retire. And we had Andy Hunt who had an amazing season - then got ill and had to retire. Then we had JJ who had an amazing season - then the goals dried up.
    As a youngster, I remember often thinking "What if we could have had all three fit at the same time?"
  • Options
    I remember his overhead kick at Highbury in 2004 in the dying minutes of the game. Inside of the post. Would have been a sensational 2-2 draw, if it'd gone in.
  • Options

Definitely a fan favourite. Real favourite of mine growing up was JJ. The header against Arsenal in the 1-0 win was great so was the overhead against West Ham 4-4. I believe he scored another overhead against Exeter in the fa cup but may be mistaken. Used to have Finnish couple sit near me just cos they came to see jj! He was a great player for us and always gave his all from what I remember. Certainly is up there on my all time list.

Oh what I would give for days like those to return to the valley.

He scored two overheads in that FA Cup game against Exeter.
  • Options
    Great player, but never quite the same after he had his hair cut
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Just appointed as an assistant coach at Rangers

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/johansson-caixinhas-assistant/

Talk of the devil.

Well done JJ.

Didn't actually know he stuck with the game when he retired.

good news
  • Options
    I don't get this great finisher stuff. I loved him but he was as lethal as Bartlett. something like a 1 in 5 record at best!
  • Options
    good luck to him