Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Scunthorpe | Tue 7 Mar | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Scunthorpe United
Tuesday 7th March 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire)

Introduction

Right then; let’s take two

Heading back in my Match Preview time machine; January was supposed to see a total of five matches being played in League One yet due to FA Cup commitments our game against Rochdale was cancelled and with a harsher winter than usual this year our match against Scunthorpe was also called off before it could begin. And so with our Rochdale game played, we’re now left with one game in hand on the teams around us… Sadly though it’s against one of the more consistent teams this season yet who have stuttered at late as for the third time this season we welcome Scunthorpe United and their fans to the Valley.

The Opposition
Name: Scunthorpe United | Manager: Graham Alexander
Ground: Glanford Park

Back in November these sides met in the FA Cup with the Addicks winning 3-1 whilst even earlier in the season, we travelled to Lincolnshire in the hope that we could become the first side to take all three points from Scunthorpe for the first time in the whole of 2016… That fixture ended 0-0 yet more recently; Scunthorpe have lost three home games which included Saturdays huge match against Fleetwood (a 2-0 loss) which has seen the Iron drop out of the automatic spots for only the second time since August…

Let’s have a look at the key players who could influence a potential win for the visitors tonight:

The Manager: Graham Alexander must surely have become one of the most wanted men outside of the top two Divisions. This is his second managerial role since retiring from Football, a League Two play-off win with his first side: Fleetwood is his only piece of silverware yet as proven, if Scunthorpe do have to settle for the play-offs then they have a Manager who knows how to win them.

The Player: Josh Morris has been the main man for the Iron this season yet my focus will be on their main Striker: Paddy Madden, someone who certainly knows where the goal is, he’s the man who fired Yeovil up into the Championship and is now into his fourth season in Lincolnshire with 46-goals over that period for his current club, he’ll certainly be hunting for a goal in the box this evening.

Charlton Team News
With another defeat coming against Northampton on Saturday you have to wonder what changes Karl Robinson can make when he appears to have tried everything… With Declan Rudd shipping goals you’d have to wonder if it’s time for Dhillon Phillips to be given another run out yet it’s not just down to the goalkeeper and there was relieving news yesterday when Jason Pearce tweeted that he’d returned to full training so will hopefully be back before the end of the month.

In Defence though; Chris Solly should now return from his three match ban meaning that Nathan Byrne will either return to the bench or will replace Jordan Botaka in Midfield, yet that is unlikely due to the latter scoring his second goal for the Addicks on Saturday.

Rudd
Solly | Konsa | Bauer | Chicksen
Botaka | Crofts | Ulvestad | Holmes
Magennis | Novak

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Jackson | Teixeira | Byrne | Watt | Ahearne-Grant

Comments

• Options
    0-9 to the Iron
  • Options
    Scunthorpe have to get back on track tonight to keep their promotion hopes alive. A rousing pre-match speech from Knobinson will fire up the Addicks and they will battle to a single goal defeat. Crowd of 3762 will be announced as 15000.
    3-2 to Scunny. Watt gets sent off in injury time when yet another inaccurate shot poleaxes the linesman.
  • Options
    I'd play Tex for Freddy, and shift Konsa into midfield. It's pretty obvious that Dasilva only gets his wages paid if he is in the 18 each game, which is a shame, as it is wasting a bench place. Mind you, we don't exactly have loads of players to replace him right now. If we have anyone, it's Charles-Cook (subbed at half time yesterday so maybe being saved for tonight?).
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I'd play Tex for Freddy, and shift Konsa into midfield. It's pretty obvious that Dasilva only gets his wages paid if he is in the 18 each game, which is a shame, as it is wasting a bench place. Mind you, we don't exactly have loads of players to replace him right now. If we have anyone, it's Charles-Cook (subbed at half time yesterday so maybe being saved for tonight?).

Charles-Cook is on loan with Solihull until the end of the season... Its just terms from his loan agreement that allow him to play in Development games
  • Options
    Shame its going to be the second game of the season that I'll miss though.

Back in June booked tickets with the wife to go see Lukas Graham at the Roundhouse in London, this date was free until the original fixture was cancelled
  • Options
    They should watch the video from the 3-1 win (that was a big surprise that night) and do the same again. Easy. Think Dillon deserves a start. Rudd has made some good saves lately...but also a few lapses of concentration. Give him a rest.
  • Options

Shame its going to be the second game of the season that I'll miss though.

Back in June booked tickets with the wife to go see Lukas Graham at the Roundhouse in London, this date was free until the original fixture was cancelled

How exactly will it be a shame?
  • Options

cafc-west said:

They should watch the video from the 3-1 win (that was a big surprise that night) and do the same again. Easy. Think Dillon deserves a start. Rudd has made some good saves lately...but also a few lapses of concentration. Give him a rest.

So we get the team to pass it to Lookman?
    We need a Lookman impersonator to confuse Scunny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a win tonight would put us 9 clear of swindon or a draw 7 clear of swindon with 10 games left to play i think although not mathematically it would be enough.
  • Options
    Can't see past anything but a defeat for us tonight, it's just by how many. I'll say 2-0 to Scunny.
  • Options

a win tonight would put us 9 clear of swindon or a draw 7 clear of swindon with 10 games left to play i think although not mathematically it would be enough.

Think Port vale are more than a threat than Swindon as they have games in hand over everyone.
  • Options
    I was going to post that we are playing them at the right time due to their form, then remembered our form.

5-5.
  • Options

Think Port vale are more than a threat than Swindon as they have games in hand over everyone.
    they do and they play swindon at home on saturday, port vale have played 33.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I know SSN are not the best at sport news for the lower clubs, but according to them Bauer is injured and Tex is suspended. Where has that news come from?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I know BBC are not the best at sport news for the lower clubs, but according to them Bauer is injured and Tex is suspended. Where has that news come from?

Well Teixeira played against Northampton (replaced Bauer at Half-Time) so guess the latter could be injured but cant see how Tex can be suspended as he didnt pick up a booking against Northampton so wont have reached his limit
  • Options
    Not going tonight.

Too much hard work to get there for 90 minutes of further frustration. The ground will look even more empty than recently.

Fully expect a comprehensive defeat. 1-4.
  • Options

they do and they play swindon at home on saturday, port vale have played 33.
    this weekend is pretty interesting at the bottom as all bar Coventry are playing each other. Chesterfield v Shrewsbury, Oldham v Bury, Port Vale v Swindon
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    1-2 to Scunny.

I think after the games on Saturday we will know where we stand with all the teams below us playing each other. (except Gills who play Scunny and Coventry who play Bradford) the worse case will be us on 42 points, four points off the drop zone (with Port Vale having 3 games in hand). Does not bare thinking about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Won't score. Neither will Scunthorpe. Turgid draw with less than 6000 in the ground.
  • Options
    Another defeat 0-1
  • Options
    A grim game between two out of form teams

A stinking cold, so won't be leaving the house today.No great sacrifice...
  • Options

Won't score. Neither will Scunthorpe. Turgid draw with less than 6000 in the ground.

My view too - we are over-due a draw and I think Robinson may actually play defensively to try and hold on to break the losing cycle.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Tonight's the night it all clicks in to place. The youthful Addicks, driven on by Dijksteel and Charlie Charlles Cook, win 3 - 0 to the Addicks
  • Options
    1-3 played in front of a sell out crowd.
  • Options
    I have a feeling tonight could turn out to be our lowest crowd on record as we go down 0-2
  • Options
    1-1 to halt the run of defeats.

• Options
    2-1 win to give us some breathing space.