Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Desert island discs

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Nigel Owens, ref of some sort of minority sport, on now. Interesting life story though.

You really need to read the thread from the start.
    Good point : - )

I'd never heard of him until just now so that's my poor excuse.
    I thought you liked Welsh rugby.
    only when they play England
  • Options
    maybe its been done before but.a CL DID might be a good thread ...used to be a radio 1 prog in the 70s /80s called my top 12 (a similar thing) that i used to enjoy
  • Options
    lolwray said:

maybe its been done before but.a CL DID might be a good thread ...used to be a radio 1 prog in the 70s /80s called my top 12 (a similar thing) that i used to enjoy

I remember that programme, though it was much more about the music and why someone liked those tracks as opposed to being tracks that were important/memorable in someone's life
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

Nigel Owens, ref of some sort of minority sport, on now. Interesting life story though.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow then from Cardiff.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Looking forward to the game tomorrow then from Cardiff.
    Didn't know there was a rugger game tomorrow. I'll be at Wimbledon v Charlton for the real football.
  • Options
    Recommend the Dr Bill Frankland episode:- when I was a secretary at Guy's back in the 70s/80 he used to hold a Clinic there and I typed his clinic letters. Very much one of 'the old school' type of doctor, courteous and polite. He never, ever mentioned that he had been a Japanese Prisoner of War. To be honest I imagined he had died years ago. Was astounded to hear that he is still alive at 103 (104 next month!) and even more so about his POW experiences.
  • Options

The surgeon operating in Syria was amazing on DID. The sort of person who should be given a knighthood.

I agree. I think it was David Nott, who appears first in this list - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/52WZS1fxyD90XVDnHg6D8vt/nine-of-the-most-moving-desert-island-discs
  • Options
    John McEnroe is good now on DID

Bowie, Zepp and now the pistols
  • Options

Thought you hated Zep?

:wink:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Thought you hated Zep?

:wink:
    I said McEnroe was good, not all his choices. Plus it was a cover version.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John Peel is good on DID- on podcast
    Don't like Jimmy Carr, but his DID programme was very good

Great thread BTW, classic Charlton Life
  • Options

A bit middle of the road for my tastes: Foreigner, Stevie Wonder and Nirvana but still a lot better than many of the guests. I don't enjoy it so much when they have some college professor or business person banging out the Bach.
  • Options
    Stig said:

A bit middle of the road for my tastes: Foreigner, Stevie Wonder and Nirvana but still a lot better than many of the guests. I don't enjoy it so much when they have some college professor or business person banging out the Bach.
    But occasionally you'll hear something beautiful amongst the Bach that you'd otherwise never hear. Or hear a story from a college or business person that is wonderful.

But yes there are some guests that are beyond tedium. The worst being the self regarding big ego guests.
  • Options

John Peel is good on DID- on podcast
    Don't like Jimmy Carr, but his DID programme was very good

Great thread BTW, classic Charlton Life

Why thank you.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Stig said:

But occasionally you'll hear something beautiful amongst the Bach that you'd otherwise never hear. Or hear a story from a college or business person that is wonderful.

But yes there are some guests that are beyond tedium. The worst being the self regarding big ego guests.
    Agree.

One of the worst I heard was Danny Baker. I usually quite like his radio and writing work but he came across on DID as the mother of all pretentious pricks.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

iainment said:

Stig said:

Agree.

One of the worst I heard was Danny Baker. I usually quite like his radio and writing work but he came across on DID as the mother of all pretentious pricks.
    Davo55
    February 10
    On the down side. Danny Baker. Don't usually mind him, despite his scumdom, but he was a right pretentious prick on DID.

It's a shame when old people start to lose their memory
  • Options
    To be fair most of what you say is forgotten after 5 days let alone 5 months.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

iainment said:

Stig said:

Agree.

Davo55
    February 10
    On the down side. Danny Baker. Don't usually mind him, despite his scumdom, but he was a right pretentious prick on DID.

It's a shame when old people start to lose their memory
    Haha. At least I was consistent. Well found chief stalker.
  • Options
    I suspect politicians have their choices made for them... Bit of classical, bit of Radiohead to appear current...
  • Options
    Listened to it yesterday. Next guest is Micky Flanagan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Listened to it yesterday. Next guest is Micky Flanagan.

Is Derek Hales going to be with him?

• Options
    Mickey Flanagan on DID now
  • Options
    Is it the same one that was on last Sunday ;0)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Yes, I doubt he did two different versions.

Good selection of songs
  • Options

Solidgone said:

Good selection of songs
    Agreed. Micky Flanagan also has an interesting background.

Another recent episode that I enjoyed was Professor Phil Scraton, a criminologist and author. Born on the Wirral, he is the author of 'Hillsborough: The Truth' and was the lead researcher and principal author of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, whose 2012 report lead to the second, decisive inquest.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Solidgone said:

Good selection of songs

Another recent episode that I enjoyed was Professor Phil Scraton, a criminologist and author. Born on the Wirral, he is the author of 'Hillsborough: The Truth' and was the lead researcher and principal author of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, whose 2012 report lead to the second, decisive inquest.
    Yeah, I enjoyed that one two.
  • Options

Blucher said:

Solidgone said:

Good selection of songs

Yeah, I enjoyed that one two.
    As did I.
  • Options
    Plumstead boy and actor Stephen Graham on Radio 4 now
  • Options
    I thought he was from Kirby?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Solidgone said:
    I thought he was from Kirby?
    Lived in Plumstead for a few years so I'm claiming him.

Always used to see him in the Radical Club