Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lewis Page (ed. New contract to 2020)

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Redhenry said:

Bowyers done well so far.... But the decision to keep playing Page has backfired. Hearing six weeks out.

A back four of Solly, Pearce, Sarr, Dijksteel with minimal cover won't cut it. Bielik, Bauer and Page all missing shows up our squad fragility, it's only 1 or 2 players short of a proper squad, but the one position we have no cover in is the very same position our most injury prone player operates
    How long can Solly continue to play every game and Pearce is pretty injury prone too.
  • Options
    Solly isn't supposed to be involved in the Tuesday night games.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Redhenry said:

He's ever present in league matches so far this season...
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    LenGlover said:

Redhenry said:

How many games has he played after Xmas in the last 3 seasons?
  • Options

We always seem to end up with unbalanced squads, and not all of that can be blamed on Roland. Partially it's down to recruitment, and partially down to having injuries in the wrong places.

Last season we had too many CBs, and as a result Sarr and Lennon hardly played, while KR spent all summer trying to get Reeves in and the laughable pursuit of Grigg, so we were left light up front with the panic signing of Dodoo instead.

This season we don't seem to have enough defenders or defensive players, but have ample resources up front and in attacking midfield. Igor, Ajose and Reeves on the bench, Marshall not even in the squad, with Ward due back soon and Clarke a month away, and that doesn't include any youngsters like Lapslie or Morgan.

Yeah I'd go with this. It's not that we have a small squad, it's that it lacks balance. And it's been clear since preseason that we lacked natural cover in the FB positions.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

We always seem to end up with unbalanced squads, and not all of that can be blamed on Roland. Partially it's down to recruitment, and partially down to having injuries in the wrong places.

Last season we had too many CBs, and as a result Sarr and Lennon hardly played, while KR spent all summer trying to get Reeves in and the laughable pursuit of Grigg, so we were left light up front with the panic signing of Dodoo instead.

This season we don't seem to have enough defenders or defensive players, but have ample resources up front and in attacking midfield. Igor, Ajose and Reeves on the bench, Marshall not even in the squad, with Ward due back soon and Clarke a month away, and that doesn't include any youngsters like Lapslie or Morgan.

Yeah I'd go with this. It's not that we have a small squad, it's that it lacks balance. And it's been clear since preseason that we lacked natural cover in the FB positions.
    I'd say we're 2 or 3 players short. Swap Ward for a left back and we'd lack wide midfield options. A versatile player to cover centre back/right back would be useful. Should have the option of a target man type as well. Bowyer didn't want one, but maybe that's more about budget.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Redhenry said:

Quite, that was my point.
  • Options
    Bowyers didn't need to sign 3 Cms. With Aribo, Lapslie plus Dijksteel and Reeves, 2 would have been sufficient on our budget. The signings of a keeper winger and striker were musts, in hindsight swapping Pratley for full back cover would have left our squad much better balanced.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Bowyers didn't need to sign 3 Cms. With Aribo, Lapslie plus Dijksteel and Reeves, 2 would have been sufficient on our budget. The signings of a keeper winger and striker were musts, in hindsight swapping Pratley for full back cover would have left our squad much better balanced.

I guess in hindsight none of us knew if Lapslie and Morgan would rise to the level needed of them like they have done... Not to mention the fact that had Pratley not played against Sunderland we'd have looked even worse in terms of squad depth

Not to mention we're only just into October; Pratley might not be needed now but I bet he will be come December
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rhoys Wiggins thinks Lewis Page is injury prone and should be called sick note 2.
  • Options
    Puzzled why Bowyer is so insistent that Mascoll isn't ready for the 1st team, with the lack of alternatives in that position.
  • Options
    Remember going to City Addicks last year and KR intimated that Page was basically not up to this level, he was very wrong as has proved to be the norm

Trust Bowyer on Mascoll, seen a lot of players thrown in too early

Such a shame we didn’t have the funds or ambition for JDS
  • Options

Puzzled why Bowyer is so insistent that Mascoll isn't ready for the 1st team, with the lack of alternatives in that position.

I don’t get it either because he’s 21, not 18, if he’s not ready now when will he be?! I liked the look of him too.
  • Options

Remember going to City Addicks last year and KR intimated that Page was basically not up to this level, he was very wrong as has proved to be the norm

We had the ambition, fact is we would’ve had to pull off a miracle to sign him, and even then it wouldn’t have been down to us, but down to a Championship club not taking him.
  • Options

I guess in hindsight none of us knew if Lapslie and Morgan would rise to the level needed of them like they have done... Not to mention the fact that had Pratley not played against Sunderland we'd have looked even worse in terms of squad depth

Not to mention we're only just into October; Pratley might not be needed now but I bet he will be come December
    That's true but I stand by the fact but after signing Pratley, signing 2 more CM's in Cullen and Bielik and not a defender was a mistake.
  • Options
    Sage said:

We had the ambition, fact is we would’ve had to pull off a miracle to sign him, and even then it wouldn’t have been down to us, but down to a Championship club not taking him.
    No chance would JDS sign for a L1 club, ditto Amos. If we had gone up, both would have been playing for us I'm sure
  • Options

That's true but I stand by the fact but after signing Pratley, signing 2 more CM's in Cullen and Bielik and not a defender was a mistake.
    Bielik can play as a fourth centre back though so Bowyer has effectively signed two position in one.

Just doesnt help we've lost Bauer too
  • Options

I don’t get it either because he’s 21, not 18, if he’s not ready now when will he be?! I liked the look of him too.
    Lapslie is 21 too though and looked so out of his depth on his debut against Blackpool it was horrible to see
  • Options

Lapslie is 21 too though and looked so out of his depth on his debut against Blackpool it was horrible to see
    He doesn't look out of his depth this season, and neither did the much younger Morgan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He doesn't look out of his depth this season, and neither did the much younger Morgan
    Exactly... I dont think age should determine whether a player is ready or not

Some can rise to the challenge at a young age whilst others do struggle
  • Options
    I read Bowyers comments about Mascoll as he isn't ready to return after his injury. Not that he isn't ready for first team football. May be just me though.
  • Options

I read Bowyers comments about Mascoll as he isn't ready to return after his injury. Not that he isn't ready for first team football. May be just me though.

Could also be very much the case as he's not been involved in any U23 games of late
  • Options
    Page seems to be walking comfortably along the side of the pitch. Least he isn't on crutches!
  • Options

He did sign a defender - Bielik’s a CB that can cover CM.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Bielik has been a CM for the majority of his career (albeit it's still early days). I believe he has only played CB as part of a 3. So yes he did sign a player that could cover 2 positions, but it still left us unbalanced.

In the summer we lost:
    Amos
    Konsa, Lennon, Dasilva
    Kashi, JFC, Jackson
    Mavididi, Kaikai, Zyro
    Magennis

We then had Grant and Igor back. So if someone said to me you can have 6 players to replace those, I would undoubtedly gone for:
    GK
    Def
    2 CMs
    Winger
    Striker

Bielik was a good signing and can play CB. But the squad is still unbalanced, we are a defender short even with Bielik (at FB). It's clear to see we have always been a full back short, especially seeing as we have yet another CM in Dijksteel as our RB cover.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Bielik has been a CM for the majority of his career (albeit it's still early days). I believe he has only played CB as part of a 3. So yes he did sign a player that could cover 2 positions, but it still left us unbalanced.

In the summer we lost:
    Amos
    Konsa, Lennon, Dasilva
    Kashi, JFC, Jackson
    Mavididi, Kaikai, Zyro
    Magennis

We then had Grant and Igor back. So if someone said to me you can have 6 players to replace those, I would undoubtedly gone for:
    GK
    Def
    2 CMs
    Winger
    Striker

Bielik was a good signing and can play CB. But the squad is still unbalanced, we are a defender short even with Bielik (at FB). It's clear to see we have always been a full back short, especially seeing as we have yet another CM in Dijksteel as our RB cover.
    I'm sure Marshall can play FB - does Bowyer just not rate him?
  • Options

Scoham said:

In the summer we lost:
    Amos
    Konsa, Lennon, Dasilva
    Kashi, JFC, Jackson
    Mavididi, Kaikai, Zyro
    Magennis

GK
    Def
    2 CMs
    Winger
    Striker

I wasn’t disagreeing with the squad being unbalanced, we need another left back and a fifth CB wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Saying that swapping Ward for a left back would leave us short of wide midfield options, meaning we’d have to stick to a 4-4-2 diamond or 5-3-2.