Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton launches internal investigation over allegation of historical sexual abuse of former player

2»

Comments

• Options

Lead story on BBC local news in the SE - Tory MP for Folkestone, who is chair of the DCMS select committee, says Charlton can't investigate themselves. In fairness to him, looked like the BBC SE had been struggling to find someone to comment.

Seeing as Lazy Daisy cannot manage the simplest of tasks I cannot imagine her even contemplating investigating something as severe as this. She will announce it and then not do anything in the hope that it will either go away or someone else will do it, then she will claim it is her work.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Lead story on BBC local news in the SE - Tory MP for Folkestone, who is chair of the DCMS select committee, says Charlton can't investigate themselves. In fairness to him, looked like the BBC SE had been struggling to find someone to comment.

Seeing as Lazy Daisy cannot manage the simplest of tasks I cannot imagine her even contemplating investigating something as severe as this. She will announce it and then not do anything in the hope that it will either go away or someone else will do it, then she will claim it is her work.
    Given Airmans comments earlier regarding records going back so far, all the investigation can be is "Is there anything in the museum records?" "Nope"

Then the PR company to construct a half decent press release that says everything and nothing.
  • Options
    It will include something along the lines, reviewed our procedures, couldn't happen under the present regime; only in the bad old days
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2016
    Very important the club ensures that everyone is trained & updated in safeguarding procedures. Any staff in contact with kids via Trust / training / football schemes especially so & DBS checked. Hopefully most / all of this already in place.

It would be good if there is a safeguarding lead at the club, (if there is not one already)who's duties involve working with outside safeguarding professionals to ensure club processes are regularly reviewed & updated. These safeguarding leads can help educate & inform & ensure best practice throughout the club.

If anything is learned from the terrible historic abuse of kids is that the club is ensuring & making sure that it is doing its upmost that it never happens again. The club can reassure & parents of kids are reassured that the safety & well being of the kid is of the top / prime importance & safeguarding / protective processes are the best they can be.
  • Options
    Instead of the club saying they are investigating.

Should have just said, if we can help the police uncover anything or help them with any information they need, then we will.
  • Options
    They interviewed Paul Collins' wife and daughter on Womans Hour this morning.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Paul Collins and his wife just been on BBC South East,
    Clearly affected by the events, broke down looking at the medals he has won while at the club. I hope that he has access to the support\counselling to try and come to terms with his experiences.
    Not convinced that the club should be managing this investigation, I think it needs to be done with independence, and impartial support, and be seen to do so, I understand the police are involved according to the BBC. Charlton have deservedly gained an excellent reputation in Academy football, I had a couple of players in teams I managed go to the academy. Those involved have a duty to support\help the enquiry, to the fullest extent.

• Options

LenGlover said:

Clearly affected by the events, broke down looking at the medals he has won while at the club. I hope that he has access to the support\counselling to try and come to terms with his experiences.
    Not convinced that the club should be managing this investigation, I think it needs to be done with independence, and impartial support, and be seen to do so, I understand the police are involved according to the BBC. Charlton have deservedly gained an excellent reputation in Academy football, I had a couple of players in teams I managed go to the academy. Those involved have a duty to support\help the enquiry, to the fullest extent.

Has the club spoken to either player since announcing its investigation 19 days ago? Perhaps the media should ask.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Has the club spoken to either player since announcing its investigation 19 days ago? Perhaps the media should ask.
    As Lazy Daisy is personally in charge I think it's safe to say that nobody has spoken to anyone.