Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Coventry | Sat 15 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Coventry City
Saturday 15th October 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Deadman (Peterborough)

Introduction

Relegation to League One was meant to see an end to all this… We were supposed to have endless weekends of League Football cheering on the Addicks as they romped to victory time after time, whilst having the pleasure of seeing England at the same time, brushing aside opposition as they stroll their way to yet another Major Tournament.

Sadly that hasn’t been the case… Charlton barely appear able to even draw a game at present, whilst England appear to be boring their way through to the full-time whistle (not a good mix if you struggle to stay awake during the day time). With players still going away on International duty, we continue to have breaks in our season which doesn’t help for momentum especially when our relegation rivals continue to play.

This Saturday we face a side whose season was also disrupted with postponed games last Saturday, this Saturday we face Coventry City; one of the many fallen giants of English Football who are proof that getting out of League One isn’t as easy as you’d like.

The Opposition
Name: Coventry City | Caretaker Manager: Mark Venus
Ground: Ricoh Arena

No discredit to some of the teams currently in the Premier League but when you think of the Premier League you think: Manchester United v Leeds | Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest or Coventry v Wimbledon…

From 1967 through to 2001; Coventry were in the top flight, yet those days are a distant memory for many Sky Blues fans, whilst many young fans will have grown up never having witnessed the likes of Dion Dublin, Peter Ndlovu or a young Craig Bellamy leading the line… the sad fact is that Coventry have never looked like returning either, 8th place was their best finish in the Championship with every other season either ending in mid-table or fighting to survive (Sound familiar).

In 2013, the Sky Blues were relegated once again and history seems to have repeated itself, Coventry now nothing more than a bottom half of the table side struggled in League One (that’s what happens when you rely on Franck Nouble as your top-scorer), yet last season almost proved to be different… From the start, it looked as though Coventry would be assured at least Play-Off spot (at the least), yet their fans knew it would be silly to dream and after a poor 2016, 8th place was the best they could manage.

This Saturday, two very similar clubs come together to march against their owners…

No wonder the Coventry fans are unhappy…

Charlton Team News
With our last match happening two weeks ago (Rochdale), its given almost everyone a chance to rest and a chance to recover from any niggling injuries… From International Duty it appears though that Jordan Botaka limped off for the DR Congo after only 43-minutes so could be a doubt on the bench this Saturday.

Jorge Teixeira once again played for the U23s on Wednesday afternoon so could be set for an appearance on the bench now, which means Russell Slade will surely be given a selection headache as fewer players are left in the treatment room (Enjoy it whilst it lasts.)

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Holmes | Jackson | Ulvestad | Lookman
Ajose | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Teixeira | Lennon | Konsa | Crofts | Foley | Novak

Prediction
Coventry have only won a single match this season (their last outing) and currently sit bottom of the table… Last season this would have been a banana skin for the Addicks and after eleven games I see no reason why this’ll change – This match will either end in a draw or will be a tight victory for either side.

Comments

• Options
    2 - 0
  • Options
    We will be shit on the field but lions off of it!!

(And I do not mean our feral neighbours...)

0-2
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    resounding 5-0 win to the fans

ohhh ... and 1-1 on the pitch
  • Options
    I predict I will lose my voice for the second time this week.
    I predict a few tic tacs will be thrown in KMs direction from block D.
    I predict 2000+ people marching through the streets of Charlton.

Bore draw. 0-0 neither team entering the others half. Football doesn't really matter
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

1-1

That's my line!

1-1.
  • Options

We will be leading comfortably 4-0 when the game gets abandoned by demonstrations.

Will we then win the re-arranged fixture 4-0?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coventry has a new manager .. a decent set of players just was not responding to hangdog Mowbray just as they did not respond to tough guy Elvis Pressley .. Venus (in blue jeans ?) could well get a turnaround .. ex C5 pundit, he was a decent defender in his time and he seems like a measured and controlled analyst .. we will see .. it certainly won't be a love in though

we need a result in front of the protesters and the uncommitted, but more importantly to keep clear of the relegation zone ..

get well soon Russell (either that or shove off) and get some motivation into the team, it won't be easy ..I like @ForeverAddickted's line up .. I'd have Crofts for Jackson though, just ..

It's time for Ajose, Magennis and Holmes to prove their quite expensive relative worths .. however I fancy a draw from this one

CAFC 1 v Coventry City 1
  • Options
    I was tempted to abandon my boycott and come to this one however my lovely wife is taking me away to North Cornwall for a week for my birthday.

We are leaving early on Saturday morning so I should be there in time to pick up the updates on my ipad come kick off.

Give em hell lads & lasses.

#notapennymore
  • Options
    13 - 4 .................................................... arrests at the demo.
    0 -0 .................................................... on the pitch
  • Options
    Sticking to on field matters, not only do we need to win, but an all round improvement in play is a must, big Russ now is the time, professional pride at least.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    They have only one win in the league this season, but it came in their last league match. They also won their silly trophy game last last time out against Northampton. We're good for helping teams extend their records. And frankly, I just struggle to see how with this manager and this set of players we're going to improve much.

I can really only see this going one of two ways, either the beginning of a rise up the table after Slade has had two weeks to work with most of his squad, or the beginning of the end of his tenure.

1-2 I fear.
  • Options

I'd have Crofts for Jackson though, just ..

I'd give them a half each as that is all they can manage - Foley can't even manage that.
  • Options

We will be leading comfortably 4-0 when the game gets abandoned by demonstrations.

Will we then win the re-arranged fixture 4-0?
    Yeah comfortably
  • Options
    Can someone please remind me if we have started another era yet or is this still part of the old crap one ?

Seriously don't care about the result but good luck with the protests. At least Ms Nightmeire will enjoy the attention.

• Options
    What are the odds for the game not finishing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-0
  • Options

Probably about the same as Roger Johnson not called somebody a c@nt for half an hour.
  • Options

Probably about the same as Roger Johnson not called somebody a c@nt for half an hour.
    Stop picking on him, you call me that all the time.
  • Options
    Winner takes the points, loser wins the award for worst owners. No contest 2-0 City.
  • Options
    Slade won't dare lose this one......and that will probably be the problem. I hardly dare look....
  • Options
    Not sure I can stomach another draw.

We won't get one. 0-3 defeat and Roland pulls the trigger.
  • Options

Not sure I can stomach another draw.

We won't get one. 0-3 defeat and Roland pulls the trigger.

Knowing our luck this will be the one time Roland doesn't pull the trigger on a manager when we're in the relegation zone and we continue to slide for another 3 weeks until the next international break when we're rock bottom.
  • Options
    We're playing a considerably stronger side than the ones we've recently dropped points against.

Ricketts in defence, Gadzhev (25 x caps for Bulgaria in midfield, still not 30 - what is he doing at this level?). Ex-Addicks Reid, Tudgay and Sordell.

Tough game.

Think we'll carry on showing tactical limitations and will lose 1-2.
  • Options
    50 more banned fans after pitch invasion..oh yea....we were 2 down and game gets abandon