Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• Options
    Bit of a makeshift opening pair, Vince and Billings, with Root missing as well we're really lacking experience at the top order
  • Options
    edited October 2016

3rd ODI today - England win toss and will bowl.
    2 changes - Roy out injured, Sam Billings will come in to open with Vince. Plunkett in for Willey.

Buttler wins the toss for the 3rd time and will bowl with weather possibly an issue.

Plunkett comes in for Willey and the exciting news, for us Kent supporters, is that Sam Billings comes in for the injured Roy - and will open too!

Can't believe that Billings is as exciting for you TP ;-)
    He aint. To me he's just a (not as good) slogger in the Roy mould.I'm ok with him coming in at 7 with 10 overs left, but to open...nah. He wont get more than 20 today, lets see.
  • Options
    With Billings in side, England have 4 keepers on the pitch, Buttler,Bairstow,Duckett and Billings
  • Options

With Billings in side, England have 4 keepers on the pitch, Buttler,Bairstow,Duckett and Billings

Just copying Surrey now..
  • Options
    Stokes takes the first wicket.

No clashes between batsman and bowler afterwards!
  • Options
    Has it been said that Billings will open? Isn't it more likely Duckett will open? To my knowledge Billings has never opened.
  • Options
    redman said:

Has it been said that Billings will open? Isn't it more likely Duckett will open? To my knowledge Billings has never opened.

Buttler confirmed that Billings will open. I think they see Duckett as potentially the long term no. 3 and don't want to move him up and down with Hales potentially coming back.

Billings hasn't opened very often but it's probably an experiment - they know what Hales and Roy can do (and what Vince can't).
  • Options
    116-2 off 24

Tamin Iqbal gets his 5000 career runs and then cuts a Rashid googly straight to cover.
  • Options
    Rashid bowls a short ball that gets smacked for 6. And then another that ends up getting him a wicket in the same manner as Iqbal's.

122-3
  • Options
    Rashid gets his 3rd wicket - caught by Buttler

176-4 off 33
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ali beats Shakib, Buttler drops the ball onto the stumps and the batsman is caught out of his ground.

184-5 off 35.1
  • Options
    Still question Buttler being skipper, keeper and probably our main bat - especially in the absence of Hales, Roy and Root.

Just today he missed a possible catch off Rashid, missed a stumping off Ali that resulted in one because the ball fortunately fell onto the stumps and bizarrely let 4 byes through because he went far too far down the offside off Ali.

It's not as if we haven't got anyone else that can do a good job is it? And Billings is the best keeper of the lot - and I'm not saying that it's because he plays for Kent either!
  • Options
    Rashid gets his 4th wicker - a full toss this time caught at mid wicket.

192-6 off 38.1
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Still question Buttler being skipper, keeper and probably our main bat - especially in the absence of Hales, Roy and Root.

Just today he missed a possible catch off Rashid, missed a stumping off Ali that resulted in one because the ball fortunately fell onto the stumps and bizarrely let 4 byes through because he went far too far down the offside off Ali.

It's not as if we haven't got anyone else that can do a good job is it? And Billings is the best keeper of the lot - and I'm not saying that it's because he plays for Kent either!

I think you're being a tad harsh. The possible catch wasn't one, as the batsman didn't hit it.
    The stumping was still a stumping, even though he was fortunate.
    The 4 byes, were unlucky as both the batsman & Buttler, thought it was spinning to the off, which is why they both went to the off.

197-6, we're doing well, because it looks a par 300 to me.
  • Options

I agree,give the gloves to Bairstow.
    Also, where's Root? - he would have given us the third spinner option.
  • Options

Root is resting.
  • Options
    ok thanks AA
  • Options

I think Root has been rested?

Is the pitch a "Bunsen" with Ali and Rashid in the wickets? I fear for our batsmen if so
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Is the pitch a "Bunsen" with Ali and Rashid in the wickets? I fear for our batsmen if so
    Yes. We could well get spun out.
  • Options

I think you're being a tad harsh. The possible catch wasn't one, as the batsman didn't hit it.
    The stumping was still a stumping, even though he was fortunate.
    The 4 byes, were unlucky as both the batsman & Buttler, thought it was spinning to the off, which is why they both went to the off.

197-6, we're doing well, because it looks a par 300 to me.
    Harsh possibly but it has been like this for Buttler throughout the series. It's a hard enough job skippering let alone having the responsibility of doing the other two jobs too. The other aspect is that these conditions are so energy sapping and keeping for 50 overs is really hard on the mind and body.

Leaving aside my possible Billings bias, we do have our Test keeper in the side. This was an ideal series for Buttler to learn about captaining without external pressures (I wonder how many times he's done it in First Class cricket) and I just think we missed a trick here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

No way. They haven't got a Rashid - he gets wickets with bad balls as well as good ;-)
  • Options
    MosAddick is batting well.
  • Options
    Joking aside, for all the stick that Rashid does get, he is our leading wicket taker in ODIs this year and if we want to compare like against like, these are the figures for our two spinners in this series:

Ali..........29-0-143-1
    Rashid... 29-0-145-10

• Options

McBobbin said:

No way. They haven't got a Rashid - he gets wickets with bad balls as well as good ;-)
    Thats the problem, he very rarely bowls a ball good enough to get someone out in the normal fashion, there's always a buffet ball or 2 every over.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

McBobbin said:

Thats the problem, he very rarely bowls a ball good enough to get someone out in the normal fashion, there's always a buffet ball or 2 every over.
    Yes but he does get wickets and is always going to baowl "buffet bowls" because leggies don't, Warney apart, have the control. Even so, he's still only gone for 5 an over average in this series. And only Ali (at 4.93 with just the one wicket) has a better economy rate in this series for England.

His good balls are too good (although he got one today with a peach) but when you do have variations even bad balls can become a challenge. Ali doesn't have any so he has to bring control but there is just the 2 runs in the series between them.
  • Options
    Granted about leggies and Warnie - Warnie was a total freak.
  • Options
    277-6 off 50

Our seamers got well and truly thumped in the last few overs. Big task for us now.
  • Options

Agreed, being keeper, captain and key middle order batsman is too much

I still find it slightly bizarre that Billings has always been called up to England duty as a white ball batsman only
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Yes but he does get wickets and is always going to baowl "buffet bowls" because leggies don't, Warney apart, have the control. Even so, he's still only gone for 5 an over average in this series. And only Ali (at 4.93 with just the one wicket) has a better economy rate in this series for England.

His good balls are too good (although he got one today with a peach) but when you do have variations even bad balls can become a challenge. Ali doesn't have any so he has to bring control but there is just the 2 runs in the series between them.
    Agreed, But Ali's bad balls go for 4 byes, over the wicket keepers head :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Agreed, being keeper, captain and key middle order batsman is too much

I still find it slightly bizarre that Billings has always been called up to England duty as a white ball batsman only
    I think that Billings opening today is the first signal that they are, potentially, looking at him as a top 5 bat. He wasn't going to get in ahead of Bairstow and Buttler as batsman and keeper and he hasn't done enough of it for Kent (white ball call ups meaning he's not been available a lot of the time) to make a big enough argument to be just a top 5 bat - especially in Div 2.