Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    I am in Seville at the moment, got back to the hotel last night and popped in the bar for a nightcap. I asked for a Glenfidditch as this was the only single malt they had. The barman returned to our table and poured it in front of us, it was a least a triple measure. Needless to say we had one for the road and sure enough another triple measure followed. I slept well last night especially as we had already finished off a bottle of red.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Had some whiskey on Saturday night... I was already well on my way, but it tasted like I imagine petrol does, had it on ice as the room was very warm... Thought I was going to vomit.

I genuinely can't remember the brand but it was awful. It began with a P... so won't trust any beginning with a P again.

Definitely turned me off drinking it again that night.

we you just drinking your mates piss?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Had some whiskey on Saturday night... I was already well on my way, but it tasted like I imagine petrol does, had it on ice as the room was very warm... Thought I was going to vomit.

I genuinely can't remember the brand but it was awful. It began with a P... so won't trust any beginning with a P again.

Pig's nose?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Pig's nose?
    He was only telling us what happened!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Derek1952 said:

As a person who does not drink Alcohol what is the difference between Single Malt Whiskey and all the rest.

it's it's just a blend of malt whisky and no grain it's called a vatted malt (e.g. Johnny walker green label).
    This any good, just been bought a bottle and not boozing this month. My normal tipples Double Black Label or an Oban 14y. How's it compare taste wise to either of those?
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

McBobbin said:

Derek1952 said:

As a person who does not drink Alcohol what is the difference between Single Malt Whiskey and all the rest.

it's it's just a blend of malt whisky and no grain it's called a vatted malt (e.g. Johnny walker green label).
    This any good, just been bought a bottle and not boozing this month. My normal tipples Double Black Label or an Oban 14y. How's it compare taste wise to either of those?
    I really like it, though only had a couple of snifters. Probably a bit smoother than the oban (a fine malt)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    What makes a whisky cask worth £500,000?

or some, it seems, the sky is the limit when it comes to liquid gold.
    Earlier this month, an anonymous buyer in Hong Kong paid an auction-record £285,000 for a sherry cask filled with a 30-year-old Macallan single malt.
    Its contents, if emptied, would work out at a neat £1,000 per 70cl bottle.
    Others have paid even more for a cask of the hard stuff, with one Scotch whisky brokerage reporting a sale in excess of £500,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-41558737
  • Options
    Looks like I am off to the Prague Whisky Festival on Saturday. All looks terribly posh and proper, but don't be fooled, this is Prague. It'll be mayhem by 11. Will try and foto interesting stuff, because I sure as hell won't remember next day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £40 quid for a 26 year old single malt is brilliant.
    I wonder if its in the local Aldis ? Anyone seen it ?
  • Options

thinking of sending the missus out on reconaissance
  • Options

Saw a couple in Crayford store on Saturday.
  • Options

Saw a couple in Crayford store on Saturday.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I have a rather embarrassing confession to make.

As a way back into whisky ownership after a break of 3 years or so, I purchased a bottle of Grants Sherry Cask Finish for every-day drams (£11) and as an uncontroversial single malt (per reccos above), Highland Park 12 year (£34). After several tastings, I'm now sure: I prefer the Grants. I don't know whether its the sherry casks but it actually seems a more complex whisky than the Highland Park.

Well I chose the Grants because it was nominated by that expert geezer quoted above, and, well, if you just want a really nice blended whisky, it seems to me to be a great choice.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Personally Im a big fan of Canadian Club which can be a bit if a bugger to buy (If im Gibraltar I always try and get a bottle as its about £12 for a litre), and for a malt I love the easy drinking Glenfiddich as I'm a bit of a wuss.
  • Options

available to order online, although only 6 left at time of posting

https://www.aldi.co.uk/26-year-old-single-malt-whiskey/p/078781187037100
  • Options
    Halix said:

Personally Im a big fan of Canadian Club which can be a bit if a bugger to buy (If im Gibraltar I always try and get a bottle as its about £12 for a litre), and for a malt I love the easy drinking Glenfiddich as I'm a bit of a wuss.

See my post further up if you want to get your hands on a collectors bottle of Canadian Club :wink:
  • Options
    I'm loving Sazerac Rye at the moment, makes a quality old fashioned, as does Woodford Rye and Wild Turkey
  • Options
    Nikka from the barrel current tipple. Lots of good Jap whiskey around
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Halix said:

Nowt wrong with Glenfiddich. Give their "solera reserve" a go if you can find it.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'm loving Sazerac Rye at the moment, makes a quality old fashioned, as does Woodford Rye and Wild Turkey

I much prefer rye in an old fashioned, balances out the sweet elements better than bourbon I think. Never had Sazerac, my tight side may not let me use it for a cocktail though.
  • Options

I have a rather embarrassing confession to make.

As a way back into whisky ownership after a break of 3 years or so, I purchased a bottle of Grants Sherry Cask Finish for every-day drams (£11) and as an uncontroversial single malt (per reccos above), Highland Park 12 year (£34). After several tastings, I'm now sure: I prefer the Grants. I don't know whether its the sherry casks but it actually seems a more complex whisky than the Highland Park.

Well I chose the Grants because it was nominated by that expert geezer quoted above, and, well, if you just want a really nice blended whisky, it seems to me to be a great choice.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

You sometimes get colouring and other stuff thrown into whisky. I was disappointed to find that Dalmore have added colouring to their bottlings :(
  • Options
    They all add caramel don't they? Most distilleries deny it, but in countries like Germany they have to declare it, and most do. Understandable they want consistency of colour, which can't be guaranteed
  • Options
    Maybe i noticed because the Dalmore was from Gatwick Duty Free, hence the declaration. I'll have to check UK shops to compare.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

They all add caramel don't they? Most distilleries deny it, but in countries like Germany they have to declare it, and most do. Understandable they want consistency of colour, which can't be guaranteed</blockquote
    Some ad caramel, but certainly not all !

• Options
    For all whisky fans here's a Christmas whisky quiz

I didn't to too well.
  • Options
    Just got myself a Nikka from the barrel in Metro France: Significantly cheaper. Used to love Hibiki 12 but am loathe to pay for the Hibiki non-age stated replacement on account of the ridiculous price Suntory charge for Hibiki 12. Anyone tried the Hibiki Harmony?

Whilst Whisky Exchange 3cl samples are a great idea, my stingyness never uses them. But now for £8 this is almost worth it to remember what used to be £50 a bottle and seems to be now getting £200+:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/35484/suntory-hibiki-12-year-old-sample