Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Substitue Appearances on debut

To begin this isn't slating Jordan Botaka after yesterday's inauspicious start. Let's see how that works out but it is fair to say on that one showing he wasn't great and it made me think of other players who made their debuts off the bench in slightly underwhelmimg fashion.

From my time I remember:

Mark McCammon - went on to have a decent lower league career but looked awful for us

Tom Hovi - came on v Derby as we lost a 3 0 lead to lose 4 3 I think. Spooning an attempted clearance high in the air is all I remember

Mike Small - lived up to expectations of a charlton player at Millwall

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    Frank Nouble
  • Options
    Leon Clarke
  • Options
    edited August 2016

To begin this isn't slating Jordan Botaka after yesterday's inauspicious start. Let's see how that works out but it is fair to say on that one showing he wasn't great and it made me think of other players who made their debuts off the bench in slightly underwhelmimg fashion.

From my time I remember:

Mark McCammon - went on to have a decent lower league career but looked awful for us

Tom Hovi - came on v Derby as we lost a 3 0 lead to lose 4 3 I think. Spooning an attempted clearance high in the air is all I remember

Any others?

Think Hovi's debut was the game before Derby. 5-1 hammering at Bolton.

• Options
    Polish Pete
  • Options
    Omar Pouso
  • Options
    Mike Small started at Millwall didn't he? We loaned him in to replace injured Carl Leaburn, then sent him back to West Ham next day.

Polish Pete gets my vote anyway
  • Options

Omar Pouso

Started I think and was subbed at half time.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Mike Small started at Millwall didn't he? We loaned him in to replace injured Carl Leaburn, then sent him back to West Ham next day.

Polish Pete gets my vote anyway

I hate to say I saw that performance at Millwall, to paraphrase Winston C " never on a football field has someone so large done so little to aid a football team". He did start but I can understand why people thought he came on as a substitute
  • Options
    Lepoint
  • Options
    Jim standard v cardiff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lepoint

Sorry, can't count that. He got an assist!
  • Options

Jim standard v cardiff

Not a sub
  • Options
    Way back when................A guy called Franklin in goal.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Jim standard v cardiff

Not a sub
    If we're gonna splut hairs.. Worst loan player debut..? ;)
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Jim standard v cardiff

Not a sub
    If we're gonna splut hairs.. Worst loan player debut..? ;)
    Mike Small.
  • Options
    Sweaty Balmer.
  • Options

Sweaty Balmer.

2 own goals in 3 games. Thought about that after McNair notched Man City's winner yesterday.
  • Options
    Mikel Alonso
  • Options

From my time I remember:

Any others?

Think Hovi's debut was the game before Derby. 5-1 hammering at Bolton.

I was at that game,i think he came on when were 3-1 down on a pudding of a pitch.He was on a hiding to nothing....it pissed down,two of my mates got kicked out and as you say we got stuffed 5-1.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Mikel Alonso

This
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Leon Clarke

This . x 100.

Emblazoned in my mind for ever and will never be forgotten.

• Options
    Alonso without a doubt. Didn't look like a professional footballer.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016

Omar Pouso

Pouso was very poor and that was his only game.

Christophe Le Point player debut was the best impression for a headless chicken though through the sheer chaos he caused to helped assist a goal.

I think Charlton supporters are on the whole being sensible, calm & charitable in their response to Botaka's debut yesterday.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Leon Clarke

Absolutely. Ball played through, simple chance to run on, slot it in and become an instant hero. Instead, he runs as if he's running through treacle. While still recovering from a hip replacement. In lead shoes.
  • Options
    Too easy- Lapoint. He had no idea. Could not run, pass or control the ball.
  • Options
    There are two categories really - subs who were awful on day 1 because they awful full stop (e.g. Lepoint).

In a different, rarer, category are those equally hopeless in game 1, but did actually improve (e.g. Balmer). Jerome Thomas springs to mind, he looked like Bambi on ice I seem to recall, couldn't see how Arsenal could possible have given him a pro contract.
  • Options
    Tahar El Khalej
  • Options
    Has to be Scott Sinclair or Leroy Lita. Absolute pair of shithouses.
  • Options
    Jesper Blomquist
  • Options
    A young lad in the late 70s/early 80s, surname of Browne, I think. Came on, beat a couple of men down the right wing but fell over as he was about to cross. Never saw him again