Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Foley signed on 5 month contract (ed. gone)

Until January 5th...

Comments

• Options
    Boom
  • Options
    Does not soften the blow of Harriott going.
    Welcome anyway, and hopefully Slade can improve him. I think he's got some work to do.
  • Options
    Maybe next week a winger or forward. Welcome Kevin.
  • Options
    Good player at this level. Another good signing, still need at least one centre mid.
  • Options
    Welcome Kevin
  • Options
    Get in there.....

Seriously good cover player.
  • Options
    Bit short isn't he?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

What? It goes from one ridiculous extreme to another - giving out 5 year contracts to Euro no-hopers, now 6 month temp contracts. What are they playing at?

He's a British player - we don't want many of them on long term deals. Its good thinking, when we loan him out at the end of August we will only have to pay a few months wages.

Roly isn't an idiot after all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I suppose if Slade thinks he might prove useful to bolster the squad, as he can cover a few positions, but isn't 100% convinced, then a 5 month contarct seems a decent compromise.

If he doesn't prove worth it, then we can try and replace him in January and if he has proved himself a good acquisition, we can offer him a new contract.

I can't criticise a decision that appears to be sensible.
  • Options
    Fills a hole in the squad but not necessarily in the first team. As others have said, seems a sensible kind of signing and a good way to structure the contract. If Konsa steps up, or one or two of the other youngsters for that matter, he could find himself surplus to requirements a bit like happened to Lawrie Wilson when Gomez came through. If da yoof turn out to be less ready than we'd hoped then we're not over exposed in terms of lacking more experienced options.

The average age of the squad is definitely creeping up. We now need to add some more dynamism back into the midfield.
  • Options
    Sensible short to medium term option without setting the pulses racing. Experience could be vital and he clearly has the right attitude and might be one of those who tots up appearances from the bench to play an important part. Good luck KF.
  • Options
    Great signing but would rather a yer contract.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Might be because s he's injury prone. Which makes more sense than giving him a 4 year deal like Berditch
  • Options
    Anyone else find themselves thinking of Norman Wisdom, when looking at the picture??
  • Options

I suppose if Slade thinks he might prove useful to bolster the squad, as he can cover a few positions, but isn't 100% convinced, then a 5 month contarct seems a decent compromise.

If he doesn't prove worth it, then we can try and replace him in January and if he has proved himself a good acquisition, we can offer him a new contract.

To me the duration of the deal - and especially the timing - smacks of a compromise between Slade and Meire rather than any kind of football decision. I have absolutely no doubt there is a real struggle going on about spending money behind the scenes (and I am not just guessing).

That's what I figured. Foley's either not really good enough but a body is needed or there's absolutely no money left and we can whistle for the 3 or 4 more signings needed.

I guess this is the 'managing upwards' that Slade was talking about when he first joined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good solid signing, defence looks good finally with Foley adding experienced and very necessary cover.

Now for the rest....
  • Options

To me the duration of the deal - and especially the timing - smacks of a compromise between Slade and Meire rather than any kind of football decision. I have absolutely no doubt there is a real struggle going on about spending money behind the scenes (and I am not just guessing).
    Of course there is a 'real struggle ' behind the scenes about spending money because that's what Meire is there for. And Slade's role is to push for what he wants and not give up. I'm sure compromises are taking place but Meire isn't getting it all her own way this time. I would have thought this kind of thing is normal and it's about time we had a manager who is prepared to do it. I view this as a positive.
  • Options
    You wouldn't leave number 9 free if there wasn't someone else coming in, surely.
  • Options
    Good around the training ground etc, can cover midfield and full back.

This seasons Andy Hughes?
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Good around the training ground etc, can cover midfield and full back.

This seasons Andy Hughes?

Thought that was Crofts?
  • Options
    Foley? Sounds like a good signing.

(Did you see what I did there?)
  • Options
    Expect a few of these, can 'do a job' in more than one position. Slade knows he'll have a thin squad so he needs versatility.

I'm sure Airman is right, boils down to how hard Slade can press and get what he wants. I think he's getting to the point of 'no no no' now from KM. I don't expect more than 2, maybe 3 more players to come in and not convinced they will be anything but loans but time will tell.
  • Options
    I expect he'll mainly be cover for Solly given the number of defensive midfielders we have. Right back could be a way into the team for Konsa, but at least with Foley there it isn't a problem if he doesn't step up as hoped.

Another experienced player that has played in the Prem and Champ has got to be a good thing.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

You wouldn't leave number 9 free if there wasn't someone else coming in, surely.

Didn't they leave the no. 9 slot vacant a whole season 14/15?