Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weird/useless facts

Comments

• Options
    Thomas Crappa invented the ballcock but not the flushing toilet. That honour belonged to Sir John Carrington in the 16th century.
  • Options

Thomas Crappa invented the ballcock but not the flushing toilet. That honour belonged to Sir John Carrington in the 16th century.

John Harrington.

I only know because he's a descendant of Kit Harrington (Jon Snow in Game of Thrones).
  • Options

John Harrington.

I only know because he's a descendant of Kit Harrington (Jon Snow in Game of Thrones).
    an ancestor

:smiley:
  • Options
    sorry my error
  • Options

John Harrington.

an ancestor

:smiley:
    Nah, Game of Thrones is medieval!
  • Options
    Inspired by the Classic haircuts thread:

The Mohawk/Mohican haircut is nothing of the sort and merely a Hollywood concoction for western movies.

The hairstyle was instead popular with the Pawnee tribe, from the Nebraska/Kansas area.

The Up-State New York Mohawks instead plucked (rather than shaved) all but a small area towards the back of the head. The remaining patch was often styled into three small braids.

• Options
    Adolf Hitler had a sister called Paula.
  • Options
    Frank Hayes (jockey) won his debut race on a 20/1 outsider called Sweet Kiss by edging out the favourite Gimme ... quite remarkable. Oops, nearly forgot to mention that poor old Frank had died before the final jump, but managed to stay on board - he is the only person to have won a race whilst dead.

Sweet Kiss became known as Sweet Kiss of Death and was never ridden again.
  • Options

Frank Hayes (jockey) won his debut race on a 20/1 outsider called Sweet Kiss by edging out the favourite Gimme ... quite remarkable. Oops, nearly forgot to mention that poor old Frank had died before the final jump, but managed to stay on board - he is the only person to have won a race whilst dead.

I thought it was a dead heat?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Died of a severe case of the trots
  • Options
    Reign it in fellas, someone dying on the back of a horse is no yoke ffs
  • Options

Reign it in fellas, someone dying on the back of a horse is no yoke ffs

don't tell me what to do, trot on.
  • Options
    Did they have a whip round?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

That is a terrific fact - brilliant. Looking it up, the jockey died of a heart attack directly because of the ectreme efforts he took to make the weight.
  • Options
    I'll be Ernie Wise, you lot can be Eric Morecambe.
  • Options

Did they have a whip round?

Yeah, no one wanted his widow saddled with any dept
  • Options
    78% of people liked this fact according to a Gallup poll
  • Options

Kylie Minogue is an anagram of You like minge.

Was it only me that had to check ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Quite remarkable, as he then went on to play for Lancashire & England in the 70's.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Adolf Hitler had a sister called Paula.

Himmler, had one simler.

• Options

In a recent survey, 6 out of 7 dwarves weren't Happy

I was at work one day and a very short project manager came in, I said morning, how are you and he said he wasn't happy, to which I replied with the line above, everyone laughed including the HR women.
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

The Furze Wren.

A very large Weatherspoons in Bexleyheath. Also the original name for the Dartford Warbler. A little bird that you are unlikely to see in Bexleyheath … or Dartford for that matter. I could go on, but I fear that I’ve lost you already!

The Dartford Warbler is a heathland bird. It was named the Dartford Warbler because a)its a warbler and b) it was described when being on observed on Bexley heath.

At the time Bexleyheath was common grazing land, which created the heath, and the nearest settlement was Dartford.
    That's all very well, but what train do you need to get to see this?
  • Options

Daddy_Pig said:

The Furze Wren.

A very large Weatherspoons in Bexleyheath. Also the original name for the Dartford Warbler. A little bird that you are unlikely to see in Bexleyheath … or Dartford for that matter. I could go on, but I fear that I’ve lost you already!

The Dartford Warbler is a heathland bird. It was named the Dartford Warbler because a)its a warbler and b) it was described when being on observed on Bexley heath.

At the time Bexleyheath was common grazing land, which created the heath, and the nearest settlement was Dartford.
    That's all very well, but what train do you need to get to see this?
    There's a choice. You either need to get to Suffolk or Dorset.
  • Options
    Do you remember Pope John Paul I? The one who didn't last long and was immortalised in that well-known mnemonic "Thirty days have September, April, June and The Pope".

I have no idea as to the veracity of this. I could look it up but I can't be bothered. Anyway, at the time, it was said WBA were the only team ever to not win a game during the reign of a pope.
  • Options

In a recent survey, 6 out of 7 dwarves weren't Happy

I was at work one day and a very short project manager came in, I said morning, how are you and he said he wasn't happy, to which I replied with the line above, everyone laughed including the HR women.
    Does he specialize in short projects then?
  • Options
    If you made a large hole straight through the centre of the Earth then jumped into it you would emerge on the other side four minutes and twelve seconds later.
  • Options
    Sorry Alex but I disagree.

According to my calculations the journey is 7900 miles and you begin it by dropping at 32 feet per second squared which means for each second dropped you speed up by 32 feet per second. However, gravitation will have a slowing effect as you near the centre of the earth.

I won’t show you all my working out, but the answer is 42 minutes 12 seconds and here is the irrefutable truth.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/question373.htm
  • Options

Do you remember Pope John Paul I? The one who didn't last long and was immortalised in that well-known mnemonic "Thirty days have September, April, June and The Pope".

I have no idea as to the veracity of this. I could look it up but I can't be bothered. Anyway, at the time, it was said WBA were the only team ever to not win a game during the reign of a pope.

Going by Wikipedia, John Paul I began his papacy on 26 August 1978. On that day, West Brom beat Bolton 4-0 in the old Division One, and they didn't win again until 30 September (https://www.11v11.com/teams/west-bromwich-albion/tab/matches/season/1979/), two days after John Paul I died. So it depends when exactly on 26 August his papacy began, if you want to get very pedantic about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were another team who didn't manage to win in that period though.