Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weird/useless facts

12345679»

Comments

• Options

Sorry Alex but I disagree.

According to my calculations the journey is 7900 miles and you begin it by dropping at 32 feet per second squared which means for each second dropped you speed up by 32 feet per second. However, gravitation will have a slowing effect as you near the centre of the earth.

I won’t show you all my working out, but the answer is 42 minutes 12 seconds and here is the irrefutable truth.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/question373.htm

I like your fact, however unless you're planning on falling through a vacuum the biggest factor is air resistance. So I'm going to add a fact of my own. The terminal velicity for a falling human is 122mph. Therefore the fastest one could cover the 7900 miles purely by gravity is 65 hours, not allowing for acceleration from zero and deceleration due to decreasing gravitational pull.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Stig said:

According to my calculations the journey is 7900 miles and you begin it by dropping at 32 feet per second squared which means for each second dropped you speed up by 32 feet per second. However, gravitation will have a slowing effect as you near the centre of the earth.

I won’t show you all my working out, but the answer is 42 minutes 12 seconds and here is the irrefutable truth.

I like your fact, however unless you're planning on falling through a vacuum the biggest factor is air resistance. So I'm going to add a fact of my own. The terminal velicity for a falling human is 122mph. Therefore the fastest one could cover the 7900 miles purely by gravity is 65 hours, not allowing for acceleration from zero and deceleration due to decreasing gravitational pull.

Sorry, this is bollox. What happens when you get to the centre of the Earth's core. Does gravity suddenly reverse itself?

It's a bit like asking 'how far can you run into a forest?' The answer is halfway, because you then start running out of it.

Come on chaps think this one through please! /smiley/wink/thing/
  • Options
    Agree. You wouldn't come out the other side. Presumably you would 'fall' back and forth a little less each time like a pendulum slowing down, until you ended up floating right in the centre. Until someone dropped a rope down at which point you'd have to climb 4000 miles back out.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    IdleHans said:

Agree. You wouldn't come out the other side. Presumably you would 'fall' back and forth a little less each time like a pendulum slowing down, until you ended up floating right in the centre. Until someone dropped a rope down at which point you'd have to climb 4000 miles back out.

Would that not suggest gravity comes from a single source? I do not believe it does.

What if you started your fall from space and reached mega speeds?
  • Options

If you made a large hole straight through the centre of the Earth then jumped into it you would emerge on the other side four minutes and twelve seconds later.

No you wouldn't, you'd burn to death in the earth's molten core.
  • Options
    Tomatoes are the most commonly eaten fruit in the world.
  • Options

Gravitation will slow you after you've pass the centre (assuming you haven't burnt to ashes by then, see my post above).

However, would your acceleration stay at 32ft/s^2 (10m/s^2)? The distance between your centre of mass and the earth's centre of mass will be decreasing, thus increasing the gravitational pull (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation). So, with force = mass x acceleration, if the force is increasing and your mass is constant, the acceleration should increase until you pass the centre, then you'd be decelerated by a decreasing gravitational pull as you pull away from the centre.
  • Options

Well, I'm common but I don't eat them.
  • Options

And that reminds me. What's the difference between knowledge and wisdom? Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put them in your fruit salad.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

It would need to be Kevlar rope.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you made a large hole straight through the centre of the Earth then jumped into it you would emerge on the other side four minutes and twelve seconds later.

What's at the other end of the hole if it goes straight through the centre of the earth (from the UK) ? Is it an ocean ?
  • Options

What's at the other end of the hole if it goes straight through the centre of the earth (from the UK) ? Is it an ocean ?
    Yeah, London roughly comes out in the ocean to the south east of New Zealand
  • Options
    Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Options

Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition
  • Options

Do you remember Pope John Paul I? The one who didn't last long and was immortalised in that well-known mnemonic "Thirty days have September, April, June and The Pope".

I have no idea as to the veracity of this. I could look it up but I can't be bothered. Anyway, at the time, it was said WBA were the only team ever to not win a game during the reign of a pope.

Going by Wikipedia, John Paul I began his papacy on 26 August 1978. On that day, West Brom beat Bolton 4-0 in the old Division One, and they didn't win again until 30 September (https://www.11v11.com/teams/west-bromwich-albion/tab/matches/season/1979/), two days after John Paul I died. So it depends when exactly on 26 August his papacy began, if you want to get very pedantic about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were another team who didn't manage to win in that period though.
    I believe it was Birmingham
  • Options

Please don't drop Roland or Katrien through the hole
  • Options

So the hole would be full of water anyway...
  • Options
    Aztec agriculture.

The Aztecs used all sorts of advanced agricultural techniques. These included terracing and even "floating fields" made of matted reeds with soil from the lakes. With the lakes themselves solving the irrigation problem. They were also aware of the advantages of leaving a bed fallow to allow the soil to recover.

The Aztecs planted three crops, called the Three Sisters, close together. Often on raised beds with rotten fish and ash for nutrients mixed with the soil. The three sisters are maize, beans and squash.

The maize takes nitrogen from the soil, which the beans then replace. Bean plants need firm support on which to grow; maize stalks provide that support. The large squash leaves shade the soil, which keeps moisture in and keeps weeds out.

It is thought another plant the Mexican marigold (aka Tagetes) were also mingled in. These have the extraordinary ability to actually kill off perennial weeds and repel nematodes and other pest insects.

Some Native American tribes added a fourth sister, a sunflower or bee plant. These attracted the pollinators to the crops.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where can I get some Mexican marigolds?
    (And don't say 'Roberto Dyas')
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Where can I get some Mexican marigolds?
    (And don't say 'Roberto Dyas')

Well, you probably could! In a packet anyway. I guess all the major seed firms, Suttons, etc will sell you Tagetes Minuta.
    Need to be sown early in the year though. Half hardy annuals. https://sarahraven.com/flowers/seeds/annuals/tagetes_minuta.htm