Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BETDAQ New Principal Partner (Shirt Sponsor) - Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    I prefer Data Techniques.
  • Options

I prefer Data Techniques.

I prefer Data Cars

Sorry. Wrong thread.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Just sent this to BETDAQ

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is (sethplum) and I am a supporter and previously a season ticket holder at Charlton Athletic.
    Today you announced shirt sponsorship with my club.
    I am not writing to you to complain that you are a gambling company, but I am writing to you to say that I believe you have now associated yourselves with a toxic brand.
    I don't know if your company are aware of the disconnect between Charlton Athletic supporters and the regime that runs our club.
    Our CEO has described us as weird, our protest actions as racist, that we want our team to fail and any number of other objectionable comments and actions. As a result a huge number of Charlton Athletic fans now believe that our club actually and actively hate us.
    Sponsors such as Coco5 and Axis and others have either not pursued or withdrawn sponsorship, and indeed a previous club sponsor, Data Techniques have sponsored our alternative shirt which has sold 800 since it's launch only a couple of weeks ago, more protest shirts sold than I suspect replica shirts will be sold this season carrying your sponsorship.
    In addition Charlton supporters have received huge backing from football fans around the country who recognise that our current owners, albeit rich, are here to cynically exploit and manipulate our standing as a club, with no regard to the sporting institution that it is supposed to be.
    As a betting company I assume that you would at the very least want to be involved with sports that are essentially, well, sporting, where the progress of teams and matches are determined by an honest approach.
    By associating yourselves with Charlton Athletic you have now become a bit of a pariah in the eyes of many, not just Charlton fans but fans of other clubs.
    I imagine a campaign will now be launched that urges those sympathetic to our cause, and who wish to have a bet, to go to Paddy Power, or betfair, or somewhere else. Essentially bet with anybody except your company BETDAQ.
    I am half assuming your company has done it's homework and are aware of the vitriol that will fall on your company from some quarters, but the football community is a hardy, creative and resilient group, and there are many who will actively urge people not to gamble with BETDAQ but to choose an alternative.
    I am sure that the individuals in your company are great people, and nothing about this situation is personal to anybody at BETDAQ, but I believe you are now associated with a toxic brand that is the laughing stock of English football. Even positive results on the pitch will not wipe that away in my opinion.

May I urge you to withdraw from this sponsorship, I believe if you do there is a chance now that BETDAQ will be the betting company of choice for any gambling Charlton fans.

Yours Sincerely

seth plum

You cannot be serious!
    Well my post does not contain swearing and abuse, I am a Charlton fan as you are, the club have announced this sponsorship today, and I am giving the company feedback.
    I don't know what constitutes 'serious' in your book.
    My post is neither serious nor flippant but feedback from an individual supporter to a new sponsor of my club.
    What's wrong with that?
    Seth, nothing is ever going to change your mind about the club at present, you are so blinkered in hate for the regime, that as I said in a previous post that even if The Pope was sponsoring our shirts you would complain to the Catholic church about associating with our 'toxic' brand!

As long as you write as an individual and not on behalf all Charlton supporters that is your choice and I sincerely respect that you have differing opinions to me. You ask what's wrong with writing a letter, nothing at all, but why do you feel the need to post it on here then? I know CL is abundant with CARD members, but there are also a number of us that want to get on with supporting the club.

What I picked you up on is that you appear to believe and stated in your letter, that the CARD protest shirt will outsell the club's official shirt, really!

Ok, its not ideal to have a betting company as a sponsor, I know more than most what gambling can do having a step son that was an area manger on £60,000 per year, company car and all the perks, to one that has gambled his life away and is now jobless living in a council house. The thing is, I don't blame the gambling companies, I blame him for being weak!

At the end of the day, they are our new sponsors and if the money that they are putting into the club over the next three years helps us get back to the Championship at least, then thanks very much BETDAQ!

Not quite sure what/who the swearing and abuse part of your post is aimed at?
  • Options

When your busting for a shit in an important meeting
  • Options
    edited July 2016

When your busting for a shit in an important meeting
    When you're desperately pulling yourself off and just can't reach the finish line.
  • Options
    I thought the UOG contract was for 2 years? Does this mean they pulled out of the second year? If so good example of fan power.

I may be wrong though...
  • Options
    My day to day work revolves around and very close to gambling, BetDAQ have been around for some time - not a great company. Like a much less used Betfair who haven't quite got it right as of yet.

I'm not firmly against them advertising Football Club's as I understand the need for advertisement of a betting company, it's crucial, and I understand the need for money as a Football Club - again pretty crucial. BUT we will have had other options, and for a Family Club such as ourselves to go down this route is silly, almost needless. The fact you can't put on one a child's football shirt yet one of the main audiences for the selling of the shirt, funnily enough.. a child!

• Options

Ladbrokes started to slip behind the main players about 5 years ago. The board got twitchy and bought Betdaq, which was failing as an exchange. Betdaq would have a liquidity on markets that would run to the tens of pounds compared to Betfair's tens of thousand. Ladbrokes is still in shit hence their merger with coral. They probably just use Betdaq as a means to lay off large liabilities. So all those people saying it is a high profile company are talking tosh. It has been a joke in the industry for years.

You're not wrong - although the slide in Ladbrokes started around 15 years ago when they failed to embrace online.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Essex_Al said:

Ha, ha here we go again, it wouldn't matter if the Pope was sponsoring our shirts, you'd still find something to moan about or spin it to your advantage!

SHG, I'm surprised at you, you are one of the more sensible posters on here, but we only have BETDAQ as a sponsor because of CARD and the protests, that's laughable!

I very rarely gamble, but this company are sponsoring us for three years which in L1 is probably better than most. Thanks BETDAQ for the money and yes, lets hope it does help us get back to the Championship!

Bang on time, it's Essex_Al with his 'every Charlton fan is thick but me' routine.

Personally, I wouldn't want to wander round advertising a betting firm to people knowing the damage that addiction has caused to people I know and thousands of others. It's a grubby thing to get into bed with. I much preferred us advertising local institutions and companies. But then I'll be promoting Data Techniques this year so I suppose it doesn't really matter.
    Ridiculous response!

See my reply to Seth with regards the rest.
  • Options

Always remember Richard Murray at a Bromley Q&A when chairman saying he wouldn't embrace gambling sponsorship as football clubs have a social responsibility....

Hey ho, Richard

Sell his own Granny that one.

• Options
    Has anyone asked them for the odds on that woman doing one and resigning? That's the only free bet I would use it on.

Ladbrokes now don't exist either when it comes to having a bet anymore! I don't need a new website, so IMBWK wouldn't get any penny anyway
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Just sent this to BETDAQ

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is (sethplum) and I am a supporter and previously a season ticket holder at Charlton Athletic.
    I am not writing to you to complain that you are a gambling company, but I am writing to you to say that I believe you have now associated yourselves with a toxic brand.
    I don't know if your company are aware of the disconnect between Charlton Athletic supporters and the regime that runs our club.
    Our CEO has described us as weird, our protest actions as racist, that we want our team to fail and any number of other objectionable comments and actions. As a result a huge number of Charlton Athletic fans now believe that our club actually and actively hate us.
    Sponsors such as Coco5 and Axis and others have either not pursued or withdrawn sponsorship, and indeed a previous club sponsor, Data Techniques have sponsored our alternative shirt which has sold 800 since it's launch only a couple of weeks ago, more protest shirts sold than I suspect replica shirts will be sold this season carrying your sponsorship.
    In addition Charlton supporters have received huge backing from football fans around the country who recognise that our current owners, albeit rich, are here to cynically exploit and manipulate our standing as a club, with no regard to the sporting institution that it is supposed to be.
    As a betting company I assume that you would at the very least want to be involved with sports that are essentially, well, sporting, where the progress of teams and matches are determined by an honest approach.
    By associating yourselves with Charlton Athletic you have now become a bit of a pariah in the eyes of many, not just Charlton fans but fans of other clubs.
    I imagine a campaign will now be launched that urges those sympathetic to our cause, and who wish to have a bet, to go to Paddy Power, or betfair, or somewhere else. Essentially bet with anybody except your company BETDAQ.
    I am half assuming your company has done it's homework and are aware of the vitriol that will fall on your company from some quarters, but the football community is a hardy, creative and resilient group, and there are many who will actively urge people not to gamble with BETDAQ but to choose an alternative.
    I am sure that the individuals in your company are great people, and nothing about this situation is personal to anybody at BETDAQ, but I believe you are now associated with a toxic brand that is the laughing stock of English football. Even positive results on the pitch will not wipe that away in my opinion.

May I urge you to withdraw from this sponsorship, I believe if you do there is a chance now that BETDAQ will be the betting company of choice for any gambling Charlton fans.

Yours Sincerely

seth plum

You cannot be serious!
    Well my post does not contain swearing and abuse, I am a Charlton fan as you are, the club have announced this sponsorship today, and I am giving the company feedback.
    My post is neither serious nor flippant but feedback from an individual supporter to a new sponsor of my club.
    What's wrong with that?
    Seth, nothing is ever going to change your mind about the club at present, you are so blinkered in hate for the regime, that as I said in a previous post that even if The Pope was sponsoring our shirts you would complain to the Catholic church about associating with our 'toxic' brand!

As long as you write as an individual and not on behalf all Charlton supporters that is your choice and I sincerely respect that you have differing opinions to me. You ask what's wrong with writing a letter, nothing at all, but why do you feel the need to post it on here then? I know CL is abundant with CARD members, but there are also a number of us that want to get on with supporting the club.

What I picked you up on is that you appear to believe and stated in your letter, that the CARD protest shirt will outsell the club's official shirt, really!

Ok, its not ideal to have a betting company as a sponsor, I know more than most what gambling can do having a step son that was an area manger on £60,000 per year, company car and all the perks, to one that has gambled his life away and is now jobless living in a council house. The thing is, I don't blame the gambling companies, I blame him for being weak!

At the end of the day, they are our new sponsors and if the money that they are putting into the club over the next three years helps us get back to the Championship at least, then thanks very much BETDAQ!

Essex_Al thank you for your reply.

If you don't mind I would like to respond to some points you have made.

Firstly nothing will change my mind about the club as it is presently run that is true. I have attempted to engage with the new ownership, I have hoped against hope, I have shifted frequently to from antipathy to footballing decisions to acceptance...for example with Riga, Peeters and Luzon, I have attended matches, including games below first team level, and have sought to be involved.
    Those are examples where I have been open to influence, and have shifted my mindset, and I have not dug myself in from the start. So to assume nothing will change my mind is mistaken. What has happened is trust has now disappeared.

We are fed provable lies, we are criticised for being old, we are called racist in our behaviour, little kids are assaulted before our eyes by the brutality of the blue jacketed stewards, we can't even buy tickets as we used to...do you really think that the club that declares it is building a better tomorrow would behave in this way? Your implication is that the problem is with me for not being more open minded, I am an incredibly loyal Charlton supporter like you, but I believe the problem is with the club not me.

I have clearly stated that I write as an individual, but I have said what I believe to be the attitude of some other supporters. I post it on this thread, not on a thread about people generally supporting the club, but because of the announcement today. There was a similar response to the potential sponsorship of Coco5, so it is in that campaigning spirit that I post here what I have written to BETDAQ.

Has what I have posted and made public hindered a number of people that want to get on with supporting the club?

I speculated on the number of protest shirts verses the number of BETDAQ shirts. I accept I may be wrong, time will tell on that one.

I made it clear early in my post that I wasn't writing to condemn BETDAQ for being a gambling company.

We don't know if they are putting much money into the club, but if they are it may help, it may also help pay Katrien's fees for her next conference.

I mentioned the absence of swearing and abuse in case the implication in your response is that I was being in some way hysterical.
  • Options

I thought the UOG contract was for 2 years? Does this mean they pulled out of the second year? If so good example of fan power.

I may be wrong though...

Had 2 seasons out of them....the all red kit with the white yoke on top at the start of Bob Peeters' reign, and last season's kit.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Essex_Al said:

Ha, ha here we go again, it wouldn't matter if the Pope was sponsoring our shirts, you'd still find something to moan about or spin it to your advantage!

SHG, I'm surprised at you, you are one of the more sensible posters on here, but we only have BETDAQ as a sponsor because of CARD and the protests, that's laughable!

I very rarely gamble, but this company are sponsoring us for three years which in L1 is probably better than most. Thanks BETDAQ for the money and yes, lets hope it does help us get back to the Championship!

colin1961 said:

Good deal for the club , you have to move with the times .
    Well done charlton ........

Pair of tools
    Thank you for your very intelligent reply!

I suspect you're not the sharpest one in the box!
  • Options

One of the few bookies I've never joined ! . Now never will.

Its the win / win situation for RD / KM though as these bookies arent going to care about protests etc.
    They will when everyone backs Charlton games not to finish.
  • Options
    you could see the tweets now

betdaq cash out early after pressure from card members.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    seth plum said:

Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Just sent this to BETDAQ

Dear Sir or Madam,

Yours Sincerely

seth plum

You cannot be serious!
    What's wrong with that?

Essex_Al thank you for your reply.

If you don't mind I would like to respond to some points you have made.

Firstly nothing will change my mind about the club as it is presently run that is true. I have attempted to engage with the new ownership, I have hoped against hope, I have shifted frequently to from antipathy to footballing decisions to acceptance...for example with Riga, Peeters and Luzon, I have attended matches, including games below first team level, and have sought to be involved.
    Those are examples where I have been open to influence, and have shifted my mindset, and I have not dug myself in from the start. So to assume nothing will change my mind is mistaken. What has happened is trust has now disappeared.

We are fed provable lies, we are criticised for being old, we are called racist in our behaviour, little kids are assaulted before our eyes by the brutality of the blue jacketed stewards, we can't even buy tickets as we used to...do you really think that the club that declares it is building a better tomorrow would behave in this way? Your implication is that the problem is with me for not being more open minded, I am an incredibly loyal Charlton supporter like you, but I believe the problem is with the club not me.

I have clearly stated that I write as an individual, but I have said what I believe to be the attitude of some other supporters. I post it on this thread, not on a thread about people generally supporting the club, but because of the announcement today. There was a similar response to the potential sponsorship of Coco5, so it is in that campaigning spirit that I post here what I have written to BETDAQ.

Has what I have posted and made public hindered a number of people that want to get on with supporting the club?

I speculated on the number of protest shirts verses the number of BETDAQ shirts. I accept I may be wrong, time will tell on that one.

I made it clear early in my post that I wasn't writing to condemn BETDAQ for being a gambling company.

We don't know if they are putting much money into the club, but if they are it may help, it may also help pay Katrien's fees for her next conference.

I mentioned the absence of swearing and abuse in case the implication in your response is that I was being in some way hysterical.
    Enjoyed your response Seth, your views differ to mine, but that's what makes this forum I suppose. At the end of the day, as you quite rightly say we both are passionate supporters but have different ways of looking at things, I'm sure we both want the same goal of promotion this season though!

</<b>Covered End Lad - Please see above for an intelligent response, much better than being a knob!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Just sent this to BETDAQ

Dear Sir or Madam,

Yours Sincerely

seth plum

You cannot be serious!
    What's wrong with that?

You are so blinkered in supporting everything that the Club does. That, like Colin, is your default mode.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Purple on Red?

Hope the club go the same way as the University of Greenwich and ignore the original font that used.

That was UoG decision not Charlton's
  • Options
    That's just it Dick, I don't support everything the club does as everyone wants to believe, but I certainly don't spin everything they do to suit my own purpose.

As I've said on many occasions, RD and KM are just guardians of the club at present, they'll eventually go as many in the past already have and someone else will step in.

Awful mistakes have been made over the past two years, but at the moment, I am happy with the apparent change of direction and will support Slade and the team to carry out the change. If that makes me blinkered then so be it!
  • Options
    Is the new shirt sponsorship the perfect representation/companion to the regime then?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    oh goody football needs another betting sponsor, now all we need is a fat actor sitting in a boozer, and putting on a strong cockney accent to promote it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    When I signed in this morning to facebook, I saw the photo that I took for the Supporters trust, that the club used on there own website, taken in the club shop with the first buyer that morning. I was in the past was invited to take a photo, and I do remember Ben Kensell saying that CAFC had declined payday loan companies, and betting shops, in favour of Andrews. To me it seemed quite a statement of intent, When subsequently UoG was involved, despite the U oG logo not being used, I could see the sense of using a local brand, that was involved with the club and community.

You would have thought that the club would have realised that any 'sponser' was going to have a 'toxic' PR time at present, and would have offered to get a charity, or good cause to have a name on it.

Personally I would not be prepared to go to the shirt launch, and I will not hold my breath waiting for the phone to ring either.
    One day when this owner leaves with his CEO..... some of us might try and work towards getting some sponsors and publicity for CAFC.

• Options
    Fortunately wasn't going to be buying a replica shirt for me or my son this season anyway because the protest shirts have always looked a better bet (sorry).

But I agree about betting being an insidious vice that can and has ruined a lot of lives. For many betting is an addiction, and as a generally addictive personality I won't touch it.

My other addictions may use up money and my lifespan (thinking around the booze and 5 a day fag habit as well as those larger weekends here). I should probably consider capping a few of them out as I get a bit older and it gets a bit more dull.

one of the last things I would want to do is to be wandering round the streets advertising betting to all and sundry. Many will ignore it I guess, but some will not.
  • Options
    Interesting that both of the sponsor photos on the website are with Russell, rather than KM

A commercial launch would surely be more her area than Russell's?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Yes, move with the times - which is exactly what University of Greenwich did by dumping their sponsorship of the shirt following the Sex-on-the-pitch marketing fiasco orchestrated whilst Katrien Meire was CEO. An ill-conceived, out-dated and cheap gimmick reminiscent of the 1980s and ill-becoming of a professional football club with a reputation for local social interaction.
    ...... and her stupid and disrespectful 'I don't care comment' about the history of the club certainly did not go unnoticed at the UOG either.

Well, evidently she now also doesn't care what goes on the shirt.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Yes, move with the times - which is exactly what University of Greenwich did by dumping their sponsorship of the shirt following the Sex-on-the-pitch marketing fiasco orchestrated whilst Katrien Meire was CEO. An ill-conceived, out-dated and cheap gimmick reminiscent of the 1980s and ill-becoming of a professional football club with a reputation for local social interaction.
    ...... and her stupid and disrespectful 'I don't care comment' about the history of the club certainly did not go unnoticed at the UOG either.

Well, evidently she now also doesn't care what goes on the shirt.
    Dumped the sponsorship because of the sex tape, which was last summer, yet stayed on our kit all of last season, and now aren't on it after 2 seasons, which was the original agreed term of sponsorship.

By all means make a point, but don't talk out of your arse to do so